The Student Room Group

Depression at university

I think I have depression for a number of reasons lately. I am really struggling to see the bright side of things, and my mood changes constantly. I have very little motivation to do anything but I also have anxiety so I am constantly worrying about everything at uni which makes it 10X worse. I'm not suicidal as I want to continue living and I know things will get better once I finish uni but sometimes I just think whats the point? Or that I'd rather not be here. I want to go and see a doctor about this but then I don't want people to think I'm doing it for attention. Does anyone have any advice?
Well, Its tough i know I have been there....! University life can be tough especially if you have a habit of living alone...
! Try communicating with others & getting help from your teachers for starters.............!
Reply 2
Original post by samikhan007
Well, Its tough i know I have been there....! University life can be tough especially if you have a habit of living alone...
! Try communicating with others & getting help from your teachers for starters.............!

I have talked a lot about it with my family lately, but I just constantly seem to be crying lately. thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by PATD123
I have talked a lot about it with my family lately, but I just constantly seem to be crying lately. thank you for your help :smile:

Crying is natural in such circumstances & it will make you feel better but just remember there is always something positive in negativity try finding that....! Plus if you are uncomfortable with your current course of study then enroll in something that is interesting to you. It will help you enhance your ability. A fresh start is better than suffering in what simply does not interests you. I jumped from commerce to computer science & can confidently say that i made a far better decision...!
Original post by PATD123
I think I have depression for a number of reasons lately. I am really struggling to see the bright side of things, and my mood changes constantly. I have very little motivation to do anything but I also have anxiety so I am constantly worrying about everything at uni which makes it 10X worse. I'm not suicidal as I want to continue living and I know things will get better once I finish uni but sometimes I just think whats the point? Or that I'd rather not be here. I want to go and see a doctor about this but then I don't want people to think I'm doing it for attention. Does anyone have any advice?

Hi, i feel i am in a very similar situation to you. I go into uni every day as much as i can yet i cant attend all my classes during the day due to lack of motivation. Also i struggle with anxiety around university as well, i feel like i cant eat lunch by myself and i dont like going into the library myself. So i often just go home early so i dont feel as bad but i find i dont have the motivation i used to have. I studied a lot to get into my university yet now i am here i have no motivation, feel anxious and dont want to attend things. I hope this reassures you that you are not alone. I recommend signing up to your university's counselling service. They will know what to do. I find that i almost enjoy my appointments because it is the only time of day i can really say how i feel about things. Hope this helps, hang in there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest