The Student Room Group

moving uni accommodation

I am jut about to start my second semester at uni ,been back 2 weeks for exams. I am thinking about trying to move to different accommodation due to not getting on that well with my current flatmates. I was hoping someone could tell me their experience with moving accommodation quite late in to their first year of uni. Im not sure if I will be better off moving as the chances are I will be put in a flat where I know no one and they have already bonded with each other making it awkward for me. The flat im currently in isn't terrible we talk to each other we are just very different and not really that close.
Reply 1
Unfortunately, I would just stick it out with your current flatmates - what happens if you move and get put into an even dire situation (eg your new flatmates go out partying all the time, take drugs, are loud).

I went into halls with an unrealistic expectation that I will be close friends with my flatmates/people near other flats, but in reality I'm not really that close with them anymore (I'm in my 2nd year) and I know more people on my course/from social events.

It's just one of those things you have to put up with I suppose... Only move if it gets really bad, I'm not sure if your situation is incredibly bad, it's quite typical and more common than you think
stick it out, you could get somewhere much worse
I'm in the exact same situation as you. But I think you should stay because you and your flatmate seems getting on okay. My situation is that my other flatmates are very close but except me.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in the exact same situation as you. But I think you should stay because you and your flatmate seems getting on okay. My situation is that my other flatmates are very close but except me.

That's what it's like for me too. If they ever do any thing they tend to exclude me.
Reply 5
Original post by .A_C.
Unfortunately, I would just stick it out with your current flatmates - what happens if you move and get put into an even dire situation (eg your new flatmates go out partying all the time, take drugs, are loud).

I went into halls with an unrealistic expectation that I will be close friends with my flatmates/people near other flats, but in reality I'm not really that close with them anymore (I'm in my 2nd year) and I know more people on my course/from social events.

It's just one of those things you have to put up with I suppose... Only move if it gets really bad, I'm not sure if your situation is incredibly bad, it's quite typical and more common than you think

I can go days without seeing them sometimes. Everyone else I know is really close with their flatmates which kind of makes me feel a bit depressed. Tbh I do agree with you that if I did move it could end up being worse.

Quick Reply

Latest