The Student Room Group

Gross Misconduct - Fired help!

First time poster here guys, I've been browsing the previous threads looking for answers but I need some more help.

I have recently been dismissed for gross misconduct from my post in large retail firm as a face to face adviser. The disciplinary has been taken place and the conclusion has been reached. I admitted to what I had done, (double credit check), it was quite cut and dry and unfortunately classes under fraud under the code of conduct.

I need some advice on what to do going forward. I'm currently in my last year at university (accounting believe it or not) with some healthy volunteering and paid experience. It was a stupid misjudgement from me and I should have known better and ended the transaction. But I'm guessing I can't go into financial services and the like, I'm at a total loss of what my possible options are for future. I feel like my life is ruined and I'm losing my mind. Any potential advice would be much appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doog a las
First time poster here guys, I've been browsing the previous threads looking for answers but I need some more help.

I have recently been dismissed for gross misconduct from my post in large retail firm as a face to face adviser. The disciplinary has been taken place and the conclusion has been reached. I admitted to what I had done, (double credit check), it was quite cut and dry and unfortunately classes under fraud under the code of conduct.

I need some advice on what to do going forward. I'm currently in my last year at university (accounting believe it or not) with some healthy volunteering and paid experience. It was a stupid misjudgement from me and I should have known better and ended the transaction. But I'm guessing I can't go into financial services and the like, I'm at a total loss of what my possible options are for future. I feel like my life is ruined and I'm losing my mind. Any potential advice would be much appreciated!

Have you tried to appeal against it, or be allowed to leave voluntarily? If this means you can't get any job in financial services, there are plenty of other options out there. You can arrange an appointment with your universities' careers advice.
Reply 2
Just to clarify, what is it that you did? What was the impact of it? Was it deliberate?

Does this somehow mark your record? Why would it stop you getting jobs in the future - surely just leave this job off your CV?

Just saw you said you were looking at accounting. Look up the requirements of any professional standard boards and see where you stand. You may be asked on applications if you have ever been fired form a role, but possibly not. Do you know a tame accountant that can advise you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Cant you just do some volunteering work elsewhere at a financial/accountancy institute for a couple of weeks or whatever, and so use that as a most recent reference going forwards?

Oh dear.

First off, well done for being so honest about this in your post and the total lack of self-pity and blame towards others which you express. It's extremely unusual on TSR to read posts like this, and entirely refreshing.

You know that what you have done effectively rules you out of an entry-level role in financial services - there's really not much I can add to this to make it any better. Short of being entirely honest with any future applications (which I'm sure you would be) I think it would be prudent to investigate other career options outside accountancy, finance and law.
Original post by M1011
Just to clarify, what is it that you did? What was the impact of it? Was it deliberate?

Does this somehow mark your record? Why would it stop you getting jobs in the future - surely just leave this job off your CV?

Professional jobs ask if you've ever been dismissed from a place of work and if so give the details.
Reply 7
Original post by l'etranger
Professional jobs ask if you've ever been dismissed from a place of work and if so give the details.

In his shoes, I'd leave a temp job at university off. It's not like it's going to leave a gap in his employment history as he's in education.
Original post by M1011
In his shoes, I'd leave a temp job at university off. It's not like it's going to leave a gap in his employment history as he's in education.

Yeah but if they explicitly ask you have to give the honest answer or it's fraud.
Reply 9
What did you do?
Reply 10
Yeah but if they explicitly ask you have to give the honest answer or it's fraud.

Declare - don't get job

Don't declare - get the job. Exceptionally unlikely to ever come up given the scenario (particularly if OP doesn't tell everyone under the sun about it). Worst case scenario, lose job.

If it was a genuine mistake, then I'm not sure I'd have a moral objection for taking the second route.
Original post by M1011
Declare - don't get job

Don't declare - get the job. Exceptionally unlikely to ever come up given the scenario (particularly if OP doesn't tell everyone under the sun about it). Worst case scenario, lose job.

If it was a genuine mistake, then I'm not sure I'd have a moral objection for taking the second route.

Do you forge your academic history too? I can't believe you actually think lying to your employer in a field so competitive your coworkers will screw you for anything they can get you on could possibly work.

Typical useless accountant.

well he may as well start making a habit out of it yolo*

*this does not constitute legal advice

Contact the standards and professional conduct department for your profession. No names basis.

You only appear to have been dismissed and do not appear to have been prosecuted or convicted. Assuming they have kept it internal then you do not have a criminal record for DBS purposes.

It will then depend on what additional questions they ask you, but theres no reason you have to put the experience down and as suggested its unlikely to come up. If you conceal soemthing when asked and they find out then it will be to your detriment.

For FSA purposes and controlled functions then it isnt terminal, but obvioysly they take dishonesty extremely seriously. there are tests for criminal convictions which doesnt appear to affect you but there are also considerations for falsifying information. If you cnat get what you wnat from eother of your professional bodies, then you should contact an employment lawyer.
Original post by Palmyra
well he may as well start making a habit out of it yolo*

*this does not constitute legal advice

It's a sad situation for OP and I sympathise, but taking it from a dismissal for gross misconduct to criminal offences is not going to help your financial career :laugh:
It's a sad situation for OP and I sympathise, but taking it from a dismissal for gross misconduct to criminal offences is not going to help your financial career :laugh:

It's not clear there was any criminal activity, simply an act against the company's code of conduct. The OP isn't wildly detailed.
Original post by threeportdrift
It's not clear there was any criminal activity, simply an act against the company's code of conduct. The OP isn't wildly detailed.

:angry:

If future employers expressly ask whether he's been dismissed from a place of work in the past and he incorrectly says no, he is risking prosecution. I'm not saying they would actually bother, but he'd be a fool to risk it. I did not make the claim he now has a criminal record, only that being told to just lie about the dismissal if asked is very very bad advice.

A history of dishonesty or fraud in the financial sector is suicide, game over, good night sweet prince. I don't know the details of this matter, he may be able to appeal the dismissal or perhaps could have negotiated the option of being allowed to resign of his own accord, but being dismissed was very bad.
Original post by threeportdrift

Yes, some more detail from the OP would help, but I can't see how even if he were to successfully be offered a further position elsewhere he could conceal it from them longterm. The consequences really would be to never work in that sector again.
IIf future employers expressly ask whether he's been dismissed from a place of work in the past and he incorrectly says no, he is risking prosecution. I'm not saying they would actually bother, but he'd be a fool to risk it. I did not make the claim he now has a criminal record, only that being told to just lie about the dismissal if asked is very very bad advice.

A history of dishonesty or fraud in the financial sector is suicide, game over, good night sweet prince. I don't know the details of this matter, he may be able to appeal the dismissal or perhaps could have negotiated the option of being allowed to resign of his own accord, but being dismissed was very bad.

Yes, this exactly.
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, this exactly.

>TSR is full of academic snobs with incredible credentials
>Yeah just lie to your employer, it's K

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending