The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is the UK a depressing place?

Scroll to see replies

Yes
Reply 61
Original post by oShahpo
Lots of salty Brits in here who can't take the truth.
As a Brit, I understand that the UK can be gloomy and depressive to 'sunny' people, i.e. people from sunny countries, but to me the lack of sunlight makes it all mysterious and that's what I like about it :biggrin:

Very true, it just gives a cool, different vibe.
The weather is the main thing that comes to mind, but in the summer it's nicer.
Original post by oShahpo
I don't believe in them lol. But the UK, specially London, has a very dark feel to it that I just find irresistible

I get this vibe from London, I always complain about it on here, but it's slightly ironic. I always enjoy going to London, but it does feel like a dystopian ghetto which is why it's so compelling.
Reply 64
Oh wow, I'm an optimist, but this thread is making me question my offers and my future university life in the UK. :rofl:

I hope it's not as bad as some of you are saying it is. :afraid:
Original post by Sabby888
What's so funny is how Brits can talk BS about Britain all they want, but when a foreigner does it - nope.

lol yeah I wonder if he'd come on and said he was from Portugal and he finds the UK depressing because the NHS is useless and the trade unions are ruining the country and there are too many Muslims, how quick these patriots would be to call him out on insulting our country.
Any place is what you make it.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
there are still some nice things about England.

i) Radio 3

ii) TSR

iii) Cambridge
Original post by Luukeee
First of all, I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm studying in England and I've been here for 7 months, and honestly everything just seem a bit depressive, yeah, it's a lot better then most countries in regards to job opportunities and such. It's not like I'm missing home, I'm from Portugal by the way, my family lives here and I've spent half of my life in Brazil too, and yeah, these countries are really bad when speaking of opportunities and safety(Brazil). But hell I loved the life in there, people were always happy even when they didn't have anything to be happy about. I walk in the streets here and everything just seems grey. Maybe the lack of sunlight is finally getting to me, I don't know. I'm planning on moving to Spain after I graduate, so, one less damn immigrant hahaha. I will earn a way less, if I find a job at all, but I guess I would just be happier. And again, I don't mean to offend anyone, if I did I'm sorry.

Original post by Luukeee
First of all, I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm studying in England and I've been here for 7 months, and honestly everything just seem a bit depressive, yeah, it's a lot better then most countries in regards to job opportunities and such. It's not like I'm missing home, I'm from Portugal by the way, my family lives here and I've spent half of my life in Brazil too, and yeah, these countries are really bad when speaking of opportunities and safety(Brazil). But hell I loved the life in there, people were always happy even when they didn't have anything to be happy about. I walk in the streets here and everything just seems grey. Maybe the lack of sunlight is finally getting to me, I don't know. I'm planning on moving to Spain after I graduate, so, one less damn immigrant hahaha. I will earn a way less, if I find a job at all, but I guess I would just be happier. And again, I don't mean to offend anyone, if I did I'm sorry.

Hey there :smile: People are acting like idiots on here so please ignore anyone who is insulting you. I'm English but I lived abroad for a while and when I came back, aged 12, I hated England with a passion! Now after years of living here, I've finally gotten used to it but I think it can take a while, and that's ok. Best thing sometimes is to just try and be as happy as you can here, it's a great education opportunity and an opportunity to see another country while you're here. Often foreigners find that the lack of sun triggers depression when they come, so that may make part of what you are feeling right now. But I think it will get better and you have to give it time :smile: And if you don't want to stay, that is fine too. Find the place that makes you happy and where you can be the best person you could ever be.
Reply 69
I love Portugal especially the sunny beaches, good food and friendly locals
Reply 70
the whole world is depressing mate
Life in the UK is more stressful I'd say compared to some other countries.
Original post by Numan786
Life in the UK is more stressful I'd say compared to some other countries.

You clearly haven't lived in Egypt.
Original post by Sabby888
You clearly haven't lived in Egypt.

No I havent lol. I meant in the sense of bills and all the governmental compliance. In some countries you can literally own your own land and never hear from the government. Not having to stress about bills or tax or anything.
Original post by the bear
there are still some nice things about England.

i) Radio 3

ii) TSR

iii) Cambridge

Three damn good choices there.
Original post by Reality Check
Three damn good choices there.

iv) Pukka Pies

v) Lucy Worsley :coma:
iv) Pukka Pies

v) Lucy Worsley :coma:

I'm going to say yes to both - Lucy Worsley grew on me (I originally decided she was a bit silly with all that dressing up). Radio 3 is a hidden treasure: one of the few things that hasn't been entirely ruined by being popularised and dumbed down.
Original post by Reality Check
I'm going to say yes to both - Lucy Worsley grew on me (I originally decided she was a bit silly with all that dressing up). Radio 3 is a hidden treasure: one of the few things that hasn't been entirely ruined by being popularised and dumbed down.

being fed a PP by LW whilst listening to Radio 3 in Cambridge & posting on TSR.... bliss :colondollar:
being fed a PP by LW whilst listening to Radio 3 in Cambridge & posting on TSR.... bliss :colondollar:

lol: being fed a pukka pie by Lucy Worsley sounds grossly and wonderfully perverted.
Original post by Numan786
No I havent lol. I meant in the sense of bills and all the governmental compliance. In some countries you can literally own your own land and never hear from the government. Not having to stress about bills or tax or anything.

Where is it that they do that? Cos I'm moving there.

Latest

Trending

Trending