The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Is UCL manageable on £265 a week?

Averaged out over 40 weeks I should have £265 for accommodation and other living costs.

Is this enough as I live in a very cheap area and know London is horrifically expensive.

Would it be better for me to find a job and get another £50ish per week on top?
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/fees-funding/tuition-fees/living-expenses-and-additional-costs

From this, it says:

"A total of around £387 per week is considered a reasonable average for about a 39-week year, which includes the 30-week UCL academic year plus the Christmas and Easter vacations. This equates to around £15,103 per academic year."

If your household income is less than £16,000 you can get up to £13,520 each year of study at UCL, provided you live in London and not with your parents. This includes the UCL Undergraduate Bursary and a maintenance loan from the government.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by asmuse123
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/fees-funding/tuition-fees/living-expenses-and-additional-costs

From this, it says:

"A total of around £387 per week is considered a reasonable average for about a 39-week year, which includes the 30-week UCL academic year plus the Christmas and Easter vacations. This equates to around £15,103 per academic year."

If your household income is less than £16,000 you can get up to £13,520 each year of study at UCL, provided you live in London and not with your parents. This includes the UCL Undergraduate Bursary and a maintenance loan from the government.

Flipping heck! How do those above the low income stuff afford it!?
Original post by DanielSmith1999
Flipping heck! How do those above the low income stuff afford it!?

That's what the bursary and maximum maintenance loan is for.
It depends on you and whether you're someone who, for example, goes out drinking a few nights a week or goes home a lot. It also depends on the course you. You may only require a few books for your course. Whereas some courses may require some more expensive course materials.

Quick Reply