The Student Room Group

Options

Basically, I have wanted to be a vet, literally, ever since I can remember and at no point in my life have I doubted this. When I think about it now, I still can't see myself in a different place.

I found my GCSEs much more difficult that I would have found them otherwise, due to personal issues which started in year 8 or 9. Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to use this as an excuse for my bad GCSE grades. I know I could have, and should have, done much better, but I just have to accept it now. I got 4 A's (maths, English lit, French and Italian), 5 B's (biology, physics, statistics, English language and business studies) and 3 C's (chemistry, geography and art).
I chose to do biology, chemistry, maths and sociology for my A-levels, but the C grade at GCSE meant that I had to change chemistry for a different subject - I ended up taking economics, which I now hate.

So, I am again at the point where I question myself: what do I do with my life now?

Postgrad is not an option, as neither me or my parents have the money to fund this. I have looked at all the UK courses, including those with gateway years, multiple times, but I don't have the A-level subjects/GCSE grades for any of them. And, as I said, I can't really see myself doing anything different. The only alternative I have in mind is veterinary physiotherapy and will probably be applying for that if I don't find a way of doing what I want to do most.

I was thinking of taking a gap year to do an extra A-level in chemistry (and get some work experience), but I'm not sure if I want to take a gap year, so the other thing I was thinking was to do the chemistry A-level in year 13 via a distance learning course... I was wondering how these go about practical assessments though? Are there exam boards which don't do practicals and that's what distance learning courses use, or would I still have to do them some way?

The other option is studying abroad at UWM in Olsztyn, Poland, as they require biology and chemistry or maths, and a foreign language. As I originally come from Poland and am fluent in the language, I would study in Polish - my foreign language being English, and hopefully I will do well in biology and maths - I know I'm able if I try hard, and I am very determined to get in.
But then that would be my only option for vetmed, so in the case I don't get a place, I will be back here again... I'm completely stuck on what I should do - I am desperate for vetmed, but at the same time not rich, so would either need to do a UK undergraduate with a student loan, or abroad where tuition is free (like Poland), or in the worst case, low enough for my parents to be able to maybe take out a loan. Please help!
Oops... I didn't expect it to be this long :wink:
Original post by Xetae
Basically, I have wanted to be a vet, literally, ever since I can remember and at no point in my life have I doubted this. When I think about it now, I still can't see myself in a different place.

I found my GCSEs much more difficult that I would have found them otherwise, due to personal issues which started in year 8 or 9. Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to use this as an excuse for my bad GCSE grades. I know I could have, and should have, done much better, but I just have to accept it now. I got 4 A's (maths, English lit, French and Italian), 5 B's (biology, physics, statistics, English language and business studies) and 3 C's (chemistry, geography and art).
I chose to do biology, chemistry, maths and sociology for my A-levels, but the C grade at GCSE meant that I had to change chemistry for a different subject - I ended up taking economics, which I now hate.

So, I am again at the point where I question myself: what do I do with my life now?

Postgrad is not an option, as neither me or my parents have the money to fund this. I have looked at all the UK courses, including those with gateway years, multiple times, but I don't have the A-level subjects/GCSE grades for any of them. And, as I said, I can't really see myself doing anything different. The only alternative I have in mind is veterinary physiotherapy and will probably be applying for that if I don't find a way of doing what I want to do most.

I was thinking of taking a gap year to do an extra A-level in chemistry (and get some work experience), but I'm not sure if I want to take a gap year, so the other thing I was thinking was to do the chemistry A-level in year 13 via a distance learning course... I was wondering how these go about practical assessments though? Are there exam boards which don't do practicals and that's what distance learning courses use, or would I still have to do them some way?

The other option is studying abroad at UWM in Olsztyn, Poland, as they require biology and chemistry or maths, and a foreign language. As I originally come from Poland and am fluent in the language, I would study in Polish - my foreign language being English, and hopefully I will do well in biology and maths - I know I'm able if I try hard, and I am very determined to get in.
But then that would be my only option for vetmed, so in the case I don't get a place, I will be back here again... I'm completely stuck on what I should do - I am desperate for vetmed, but at the same time not rich, so would either need to do a UK undergraduate with a student loan, or abroad where tuition is free (like Poland), or in the worst case, low enough for my parents to be able to maybe take out a loan. Please help!

Don't give up on your dream :h:

If you can get into that course in Poland it really does sound ideal - you have the right subjects, know the language AND it's free! However, I guess it's also pretty competitive, so a place isn't guaranteed...

Veterinary Physiotherapy sounds like a possible option - although you'll have to look into the contents of the course and career options to check if it would really suit you.

VetMed is super competitive and while self-studying Chemistry could be an option, your low grades may still let you down anyway - perhaps get in touch with some universities to see if they would consider your application if you were to go down this route. If you decide to self-study Chemistry, ideally you should try and arrange with your school for you to just take the practical assessments and exams there - it would be a lot simpler and cheaper. Is there really no way they will allow you to take Chemistry A level with the other students? If you're really keen and passionate about a career requiring chemistry they may be willing to be flexible...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending