The Student Room Group

Should I take my car to uni??

I'm hopefully going to Portsmouth uni in September, I have been driving for 6 months now, and i'm curious what the pros and cons are for taking my car (specifically Portsmouth) to uni. I live about 210 miles away and it would take about 3hrs less to drive home than get trains (and a lot less hassle! 4 changes inc. tube), and most likely cheaper if I couldn't get good deals for when I want to go home.:s-smilie:
Original post by courtswakefield
I'm hopefully going to Portsmouth uni in September, I have been driving for 6 months now, and i'm curious what the pros and cons are for taking my car (specifically Portsmouth) to uni. I live about 210 miles away and it would take about 3hrs less to drive home than get trains (and a lot less hassle! 4 changes inc. tube), and most likely cheaper if I couldn't get good deals for when I want to go home.:s-smilie:

Have a look and see if there is free parking available, I imagine the uni parking is extortionate.

I guess it would be very handy for going shopping or to a nearby city or as you said, going home. Be wary of people asking asking you for lifts though :lol:

The con would be the fear of it getting damaged for whatever reason though, a friend had to go down often to check that it was still there :lol: but you get that anywhere unless you have a garage!

It sounds like you'd benefit from having one there.
Make sure you have somewhere available that you can park it.
Think as well if you genuinely need it. I have my car with me because I work for the uni and do alot of driving around. You'll find that aside from nipping to the supermarket you don't really need it that much

Also double check how much it'll affect your insurance as you'll need to update the overnight address part
There's rather more cons than pros regarding cars and university. At first sight, being able to hop into it and go home directly rather than having to schlepp it by public transport is appealing. But realistically how many times are you going to be making that trip home? At uni, the car is going to be an enormous financial drain: tax, MOT, higher insurance because you're a student at uni. There's parking, the small matter of whether or not you're allowed to park/have a car where you are and how much the university permits or parking charges are. Finally, you will become your friendship group's Nominated Driver, forever being badgered to collect this, that and the other or 'please can you take me to Outer Mongolia..I'll give you the petrol money'.

Portsmouth has reasonable public transport and the truth is most students manage very well without a car. I'd think very carefully whether it's really beneficial for you to take it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending