The Student Room Group

Is it even possible to change University without gap year?

Like if after exams in say July, would it be even possible to downgrade to start a degree in September? With really good credentials? Or would a gap year HAVE to be taken?
You'll have to give some more details if you want a response.

Are you at Cambridge, are you likely to fail your first year, why would you want to 'downgrade' as you call it?
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Like if after exams in say July, would it be even possible to downgrade to start a degree in September? With really good credentials? Or would a gap year HAVE to be taken?

What level are you currently at? If you're just finishing your A levels this summer then it is definitely possible to go through UCAS extra (now)/ clearing (after exams, can't remember the exact date it opens) and change your university choices. There's a section on TSR explaining these processes very thoroughly :smile:

If you're currently a university student, then again it is possible to arrange transferring to another university - either to continue onto the following year (more difficult the further through your degree you are) at that university or to start again from first year. You're best bet is to get in touch ASAP directly with the university departments you are interested in to inquire as to whether they accept transfer students, if they have spaces available in their second year cohort, if your particular qualifications/ grades/ situation would be sufficient to allow you to transfer, etc. - then they should let you know the following steps required (usually to submit a formal application to the university (through UCAS or separately), then achieve certain exam grades this summer).
Original post by dragonkeeper999
What level are you currently at? If you're just finishing your A levels this summer then it is definitely possible to go through UCAS extra (now)/ clearing (after exams, can't remember the exact date it opens) and change your university choices. There's a section on TSR explaining these processes very thoroughly :smile:

If you're currently a university student, then again it is possible to arrange transferring to another university - either to continue onto the following year (more difficult the further through your degree you are) at that university or to start again from first year. You're best bet is to get in touch ASAP directly with the university departments you are interested in to inquire as to whether they accept transfer students, if they have spaces available in their second year cohort, if your particular qualifications/ grades/ situation would be sufficient to allow you to transfer, etc. - then they should let you know the following steps required (usually to submit a formal application to the university (through UCAS or separately), then achieve certain exam grades this summer).

Currently a University student, finding it very tough and wondering if I failed if I could have a back up plan or is that not possible? I heard that top Universities don't do it. I have A*A*A at A level, just doing the subject at the wrong place and would rather not of lost 2 years of my life to it so hoping I can just switch straight over in the summer :biggrin:
You know, I'm sure, that Cambridge doesn't have 'resits' - it has a system of allowances. You can always have a backup plan, but I think we need to know a little more about your current situation to be able to inform you properly.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Currently a University student, finding it very tough and wondering if I failed if I could have a back up plan or is that not possible? I heard that top Universities don't do it. I have A*A*A at A level, just doing the subject at the wrong place and would rather not of lost 2 years of my life to it so hoping I can just switch straight over in the summer :biggrin:

Cambridge is tough - most of us went through a phase of worrying we were going to fail, so it's by no means certain... That being said, if you're not happy studying here it's worth considering alternative options rather than struggling through a course that doesn't suit you :smile:

I know of at least one friend who successfully transferred from Oxford to Bath (for Biochem) - she failed first year though so essentially just entered first year again at Bath based on her A level grades. I'm not sure how many "top" universities would accept a transfer directly into second year, so you may have to face starting this year again - particularly if your grades this summer are unlikely to be high. When I spoke to my tutor about the possibility of me transferring unis, apparently it is possible and relatively common - but many universities will ask for a 2:1 in your summer exams in order to transfer into second year :/

If you're seriously considering transferring universities, definitely start trying to arrange something ASAP, don't wait until the summer. I'd start by having a meeting with your DoS/ tutor about the possibility and what they would recommend. After that, you'll probably have to contact the university departments you're interested in to see how they would view your application.
@dragonkeeper999 makes good points. I too had a friend who transferred out from vet med to Geography (of all things) so all things are possible. I too would suggest you speak to your tutor and/or DoS sooner rather than later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending