The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Guitar/Piano Lessons at Surrey?

I am planning to study Business Management and Human Resource Management this September at Surrey, and I wanted to know whether there are societies or places I can visit where I will be able to learn to play the Guitar or the Piano.

Thanks to all who help!
Original post by VerumThrowaway
I am planning to study Business Management and Human Resource Management this September at Surrey, and I wanted to know whether there are societies or places I can visit where I will be able to learn to play the Guitar or the Piano.

Thanks to all who help!

Hey @VerumThrowaway,

Hope you don't mind me popping in to help with this one. Apologies it's taken a while to get back to you!

Firstly, looking forward to welcoming you to campus! :smile:

We've got loads of societies on offer, and I know there are several focused around music, like BandSoc and NoWave. While we don't have specific societies focused around teaching people how to play guitar or piano, we do have lots of music students! Often music students will teach guitar or piano lessons at a discounted rate when compared to professional teachers, so that's probably a good option. You could ask some of the guitarists/pianists in BandSoc for recommendations :smile:

Guildford is also home to the Academy of Contemporary Music (ACM) where students are training to be professional musicians, so they focus more on the vocational aspects of playing as well as having really sound knowledge of the theory behind it. One of my friends just graduated from ACM, and he said that lots of the students/graduates from there offer music lessons to earn some extra income, so that's an option too!

At Surrey we have a number of Steinway pianos in private practice rooms which you can book out to practice on. If you want to go the self-taught route, there are a few 'piano for beginners' books in the library, or you can buy books with dvd tutorials fairly cheaply on Amazon :smile:

When you've mastered your instrument of choice, we also run Open Mic nights at the SU bar every Thursday which are great fun - I was a student at Surrey from 2012-2015 and Open Mic night was a must-see.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending