The Student Room Group

Missing 2 lectures in a row - attendance issue

I was ill last Monday and am also ill this Monday (different reasons). My course doesn't usually monitor attendance, however the lectures I've missed have been known to do random attendance monitoring. I'm worried that I'll get flagged up for missing two weeks of Mondays in a row, and as we're only in week 3 of term that would mean I've missed 2 out of the 3 weeks.

I have had 100% attendance in other modules last term, and in another module which monitors attendance I have been present for both weeks. I get good grades and have never missed a deadline.

I'm worried about if this gets flagged up and I'll get called in for a meeting or in trouble. I really don't want to be sat in a lecture hall for four hours this afternoon as I'm contagious, constantly coughing and have a banging headache.

Does anyone have any advice or any insight into how strict universities are in regards to attendance?

Thank you.
If you are genuinely ill (which you sound like you are), then you have nothing to feel guilty about. Better stay at home and recover than struggle in like a martyr and spread your disease around. If you're concerned about how it looks, how about emailing your tutor/module leader to explain your non-attendance? You could also pop into the campus medical centre if you feel you need some evidence to back it up.
Universities aren't strict at all. I know people who didn't attend entire modules. Assuming you're doing ok in your assignments they won't care, they do occasionally question people but this is more of a pastoral thing as they don't want to ignore it and then suddenly you've failed + dropped out.
Original post by Sparkliest

They only care because some students attend nothing, and then sue the university to the ends of the earth when they fail their degrees. It won't make a jot of difference in your situation. I doubt anyone will have noticed, and if they do, just tell them you were ill. It's a complete non-issue for students who aren't struggling academically.
Original post by doodle_333
Universities aren't strict at all. I know people who didn't attend entire modules. Assuming you're doing ok in your assignments they won't care, they do occasionally question people but this is more of a pastoral thing as they don't want to ignore it and then suddenly you've failed + dropped out.

Original post by threeportdrift
They only care because some students attend nothing, and then sue the university to the ends of the earth when they fail their degrees. It won't make a jot of difference in your situation. I doubt anyone will have noticed, and if they do, just tell them you were ill. It's a complete non-issue for students who aren't struggling academically.

This isn't strictly true in all cases - it depends on the course the OP is enrolled in. For example, NHS funded courses are actually quite strict about attendance because it's part of the funding agreement, and persistent unexplained absences can affect progression and/or bursary payment. The attendance requirements are separate from, and not affected by, academic progress. Probably the OP is not on such a course, and so shouldn't worry unduly about a little absence.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
This isn't strictly true - it depends on the course the OP is enrolled in. For example, NHS funded courses are actually quite strict about attendance because it's part of the funding agreement, and persistent unexplained absences can affect progression and/or bursary payment.

Yeah fair enough - but for your standard course it's not too important
Reply 6
Original post by Sparkliest
I was ill last Monday and am also ill this Monday (different reasons). My course doesn't usually monitor attendance, however the lectures I've missed have been known to do random attendance monitoring. I'm worried that I'll get flagged up for missing two weeks of Mondays in a row, and as we're only in week 3 of term that would mean I've missed 2 out of the 3 weeks.

I have had 100% attendance in other modules last term, and in another module which monitors attendance I have been present for both weeks. I get good grades and have never missed a deadline.

I'm worried about if this gets flagged up and I'll get called in for a meeting or in trouble. I really don't want to be sat in a lecture hall for four hours this afternoon as I'm contagious, constantly coughing and have a banging headache.

Does anyone have any advice or any insight into how strict universities are in regards to attendance?

Thank you.

Definitely email the lecturer to explain or call the student program center up and they will be able to take note of this for you so that you do not get in to any trouble. (Zoë- Glyndwr university)
Does your university have some form of self-certification? Like an online form where you can say you were sick and what you missed without needing a doctor's note. They should have a clear absence policy online at the very least, so as long as you've followed that it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you've caught up with the material and it should be fine.

I probably went to 20% of my lectures maximum and no one said anything (I'm pretty sure they all noticed though :P). It is very lecturer, module, school and/or uni dependent whether they take attendance, notice absence and/or discpline absent students. My university didn't care about attendance as long as you got the work done.
let your tutor now.make sureto catch up. 2 weeks does not sound a lot but it means your adding extra to your study work load.

Quick Reply

Latest