The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by delto99
Seriously?! Would it have said it on my rejection letter if I was pooled but wasn't fished out?

Yes.

What did you apply with (subject by subject UMS) and for which course?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Yes.

What did you apply with (UMS) and for which course?

I applied for law with equivalent of 11A* in my country's GCSEs (I'd prefer not to say where I'm from sorry) and 6A*&2A in our AS with 8* predicted A2 (no equivalent UMS data)

(Just for context my offers for other unis are A*A*A which is really x3A* x3A for my system and our A level courses are very very similar and almost identical for GCSE )
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by delto99
I applied for law with equivalent of 11A* in my country's GCSEs (I'd prefer not to say where I'm from sorry) and 6A*&2A in our AS with 8* predicted A2 (no equivalent UMS data)

It needs to be A-levels not equivalents. And actual grades not predictions.
Original post by jneill
It needs to be A-levels not equivalents. And actual grades not predictions.

Everyone gives predicted grades though? So you're saying that international applicants weren't supposed to be included in the autopooling? :s-smilie:
Original post by delto99
Everyone gives predicted grades though?

Huh? jneill said A*A*A* post-qualification hence actual grades, not predicted. Pre-qualification autpooling is done through already achieved UMS, not predicted grades.

So you're saying that international applicants weren't supposed to be included in the autopooling? :s-smilie:

Of course they are, if they do A-Levels or IB and meet the autopool criteria.

Original post by delto99
I applied for law with equivalent 6A*&2A in our AS with 8* predicted A2 (no equivalent UMS data)

Now, I don't really know what qualification you're doing, but I must register my doubts with it being equivalent to A-Levels if you're able to take 8 subjects "equivalent" to A-Levels when we only take 3 or 4.
Original post by delto99
Everyone gives predicted grades though? So you're saying that international applicants weren't supposed to be included in the autopooling? :s-smilie:

There are 2 ways to be put into the Winter Pool:

The most common way is when your original college doesn't have any "places" remaining but considers you are still potentially worth an offer from Cambridge. i.e. you are pooled on the merit of your entire application.

The other way is if you meet the compulsory pool criteria (i.e. the so called auto-pool UMS or A* requirements I mentioned earlier).

Being an International student makes no difference.

If you were rejected and your college didn't mention being pooled then you weren't pooled. Neither "on merit" nor via "auto-pool" (and your qualifications don't meet the auto-pool criteria so that's not an option anyway).

More info here:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/guide_to_the_winter_pool_for_applicants.pdf
Original post by jneill
There are 2 ways to be put into the Winter Pool:

The most common way is when your original college doesn't have any "places" remaining but considers you are still potentially worth an offer from Cambridge. i.e. you are pooled on the merit of your entire application.

The other way is if you meet the compulsory pool criteria (i.e. the so called auto-pool UMS or A* requirements I mentioned earlier).

Being an International student makes no difference.

If you were rejected and your college didn't mention being pooled then you weren't pooled. Neither "on merit" nor via "auto-pool" (and your qualifications don't meet the auto-pool criteria so that's not an option anyway).

More info here:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/guide_to_the_winter_pool_for_applicants.pdf

@jneill Thank you for clarifying :smile: @Zacken It really is very very similar to A levels - eg. we used to be able to sit the A level Physics exam after sitting ours for an extra qualification (they stopped that 3 yrs ago because people didn't want to do it anymore though). Most people only do 6 subjects and it does mean our exams are extremely difficult times haha
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Oh the Byrony!
It's not set in stone, the thought just crossed my mind that it might be easier to apply to somewhere that hasn't previously rejected me.

I do still love Cambridge......

But it is true that interviews and whatnot dont really test knowledge as much as raw aptitude for your subject, so reading more books etc. isnt really going to help in my opinion bc that's probably not what the admissions tutors saw as lacking in your application.
If you think the interview went really well but you didnt get a place it might just be that youre not suited to the Cambridge teaching style and better off at your 2nd choice.
And if you got rejected from Cambridge it might be equally hard to get into Oxford... One's not really easier to get in than the other I think.
Oxbridge isnt necessarily the best for you, just find the uni that is!
Good luck in your application!
Original post by studying_me
But it is true that interviews and whatnot dont really test knowledge as much as raw aptitude for your subject

Everyone says this but this wasn't my experience this year. The questions in my Chemistry/Physics interview were quite like A-level questions, but just a little more open/discursive. In fact, one of the Physics questions was very similar to one from a previous AQA PHYA4 paper.
after my pool college rejected me (post-interview) they said my original college would be in touch to confirm the decision. I haven't received anything and my UCAS Track hasn't updated yet. When do you think they will email? Was rejected a week ago tomorrow.
Original post by somebodyelse98
after my pool college rejected me (post-interview) they said my original college would be in touch to confirm the decision. I haven't received anything and my UCAS Track hasn't updated yet. When do you think they will email? Was rejected a week ago tomorrow.

Robinson (original college) by any chance?
Original post by jneill
Robinson (original college) by any chance?

no, pembroke!
Original post by somebodyelse98
no, pembroke!

lol. I'd give them a call. What's the worst that could happen... :wink:
Original post by jneill
lol. I'd give them a call. What's the worst that could happen... :wink:

okay thank you! will do tomorrow when their office opens
Is it only me that have not heard their decision?

And if you got rejected from Cambridge it might be equally hard to get into Oxford... One's not really easier to get in than the other I think.

Perhaps not, but you may find one plays to your strengths

eg for my course (music):

Oxford:
- no entrance exams/exams at interview (short tasks at interview, no harmony tests)
- requires submitted work
- interviews take place over several days, there are often 3-4 sometimes 6
- the entrance requirement is AAA
- I've heard they place more emphasis on GCSE than AS, but this may be changing with A level reform
- 2.4 applicants per place (approx)

Cambridge:
- exams at interview (I've heard horror stories about tutors watching over someone writing Bach chorale :eek:)
- requires submitted work
- interviews take place over one day
- pooling happens over winter, can be 'fished' from the pool and rarely re-interviewed
- the entrance requirement is A*AA (Cam tend to vary their offer more than Ox as far as I've seen with some getting A*A*A offers)
- used to place more emphasis on AS UMS
- have to submit an SAQ with AS UMS, extenuating circumstances if applicable, personal details etc
- 2 applicants per place (approx)

Although they are, as you admit, probably very similar and that an offer from one would probably mean you would get an offer from the other, it is worth considering that they do have different specific requirements which could play to someone's particular strengths. Asides from Cambridge's A*AA requirement (which most Oxford offer holders meet or exceed anyways), there's no obvious difference as to which is 'harder' to get into but they are different.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by davozgenius
Is it only me that have not heard their decision?

Do you mean from UCAS or just in general? If in general then that's a long time to be waiting - were you re-interviewed?
Original post by auburnstar
Do you mean from UCAS or just in general? If in general then that's a long time to be waiting - were you re-interviewed?

in general, I was reinterveiwed
Original post by davozgenius
in general, I was reinterveiwed

ah ok

they haven't set an exact date for re-interviewees to hear by unfortunately :frown: hopefully before the end of january, when all the results go out on UCAS

the only consolation is that no news is better than bad news, i guess
But it is true that interviews and whatnot dont really test knowledge as much as raw aptitude for your subject, so reading more books etc. isnt really going to help in my opinion bc that's probably not what the admissions tutors saw as lacking in your application.
If you think the interview went really well but you didnt get a place it might just be that youre not suited to the Cambridge teaching style and better off at your 2nd choice.
Oxbridge isnt necessarily the best for you, just find the uni that is!
Good luck in your application!

The problem was a lack of reading in a certain area, and a bad interview - thanks. Plus I got pooled; which is about as close as one can get to an offer, without getting one.

The odds are also much better when applying with achieved results.

So, if I achieve my predictions of A*A*A*, I'll have a good chance, I think.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending