The Student Room Group

Was feminism made for the benefit of white women

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Also in the middle east the rich oils countries like Saudi Arabia have by far worse treatment of women where as in the poor region where Rojava is a thing women have the most rights.

Yup, absolutely. Plus the many Precolumbian Native American societies which were very poor economically by modern standards, but had pretty high degrees of gender equality, such as the Iroquois.
Original post by anarchism101
Let me guess - you don't actually know that much about Africa, but just assumed that because it's relatively poor, women must therefore be more oppressed there, but you know South Africa is richer, and so assumed gender equality must be better there? Right?

Worth actually checking some stats. Gender equality rankings actually usually put Rwanda as one of the best in the world, comfortably above South Africa. Namibia usually ranks above SA as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn ok you got me but tell me what are these rankings based on.
yh i totally understand what you mean about rankings but just because the rankings say that there is gender equality it does not means that women there are not oppressed and are abused by other men. Yes there may be just as many women as men in jobs but they may still be mocked and disliked for being in jobs, as i am sure in africa many men still hold the view of a stereotypical women should be a housewife
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Willy Pete
A simple yes would have sufficed.

A simple "yes" doesn't acknowledge the details surrounding the question, the problems it concerns, or any solutions to it.

In fact, if "yes" is all someone has to offer to the discussion, they may as well not bother posting at all seeing as it's either going to get dismissed or someone will ask them to elaborate.
Yes feminism was originally made for the benefit of white western women and even today many 'feminist' agendas consider only these white women. Thankfully the movement is becoming increasingly intersectional.
Original post by Mr Dee Mented
Oh guess what the reason those 50 countries are mentioned as a whole is because the ENTIRETY of Africa is poor and seriously need help. Obviously we dont mention it as Europe, the biggest problem in Europe is homelessness and this Myth about something called a WAGE GAP going around. In every country in Africa women are oppressed, maybe not so much South Africa but everywhere else for sure. I am a man by the way, I do not hate women I just dont agree with Modern Day Western World Feminism

Ok, first of all, you need to take several seats. I'm going to take a guess and say you're a white male, people like you are the reason why the viewpoint that COUNTRIES in Africa are poor is perpetuated. I am a British African and I can safely say that African Women are not oppressed in every country you div. To even say something like that highlights an immense lack of knowledge and ignorance, have you even stepped foot in an African country to be making sweeping statements like this? Furthermore, you do realise that the reason why countries in Africa are not as rich is because YOUR ancestors exploited, enslaved and stole from us, and are still continuing to do so, the only reason Western Countries are rich is because they benefitted from the blood, sweat and toil of other nations. Finally, to end my rant, homelessness and the wage gap are not the only problems in Europe, have you ever picked up a newspaper? There are people in England living worse lives (in terms of poverty) than those in your so-called depraved African countries. Oh and also it's so stupid that the only country in Africa that you mention as being prosperous is the one populated with White people
Original post by LisaNikita
I'd rather my child had cancer than modern day feminism

Do you have a child? How many people in your family have had cancer? Youd really prefer them to have it?
Original post by Jee1
I don't see feminist caring about the wellbeing of women and girls in third world countries where they live in danger and poverty on a daily basis. Instead, we see white women the most prevlidged group of people in the west looking out for their own self interest I.e constantly demanding pay increases when actually if they were really good at what they do then no one will say no to a pay increase.

Then they moan about not being represented in lucrative STEM fields when no one is stopping girls from pursuing STEM subjects like Electrical engineering and chemical engineering. There are not that many girls working as bin women, miners, sewage worker why can't feminists demand that there are equal reprentation on those fields??? PS I'm a girl BTW!

They do, but as with all things in life, their focus of course is for things closer to home. What would a protest about something in a country where they have no vote do? Sorry this whole "I don't see them caring about women who have it even worse than them" is a complete sham. It's the same as: person x has problem y and talks about it. you come along and say what a cry baby, person a has problem b and b is so much worse than y.

Re STEM - studies have shown that in an all-girl schools, girls do do STEM whereas in the environment of a mixed school girls feel uncomfortable to, and as a result far fewer girls take STEM subjects at mixed schools than at all girl schools.

ps you being a girl has no relevance.
I'd rather my child had cancer than modern day feminism

You prefer cancer over an opinion you dislike.

Wow.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
I just find it funny how a lot of white feminists act like it's them plus all the other minorities vs white men. As if white women themselves don't have their own privileges above the other minorities 🙄

Ranking of privilege:

A > B > C > D

You are saying: "B isn't allowed to campaign for equality with A together with C and D because they have it better than C and D".
Original post by yudothis
You prefer cancer over an opinion you dislike.

Wow.

A political tool I dislike which is used to remove facts from valid points. Women in the western world aren't oppresed.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Waa waa These razors are 10 p more expensive and are pink this is a big problem.
But who cares about women that are not allowed schooling or basic rights when there are more expensive pink razors.

:facepalm:

You must have over read this comment, huh?

Original post by anarchism101
No-one ever makes this complaint about other campaign groups. No-one thinks it hypocritical that UK-based anti-homlessness groups focus most of their attention on homelessness in the UK rather than homelessness in say, Bangladesh, despite the fact that it's a more severe problem in Bangladesh. No-one asks why the NSPCC aren't putting their resources into protecting children in Iran. It's only feminist activists that are constantly criticised for placing a greater focus on their own country's domestic issues as if that's somehow an odd thing for activists to do.

"I am Aperfectbalance and I say that group is ridiculous for campaigning for themselves in their country, they should help others who also generically belong to their group in other countries first. Never mind that I am a nationalist Brexiter that is totally contradicting his own arguments regarding putting your own country first."
A political tool I dislike which is used to remove facts from valid points. Women in the western world aren't oppresed.

You prefer cancer over a political tool.

Wow.

ps The fact that you are still defending your grotesque statement speaks volumes about you.
Original post by yudothis
You prefer cancer over a political tool.

Wow.

ps The fact that you are still defending your grotesque statement speaks volumes about you.

I think I don't feel. How are women oppresed in the first world?
Original post by AshEntropy
I totally agree.

If "Feminism" was truly about equality, it would be called "Gender Egalitarianism" and would focus on issues for both males and females.

Why is there no discussion on male suicide rates being far higher than women? Why are there no schemes for making Primary School Teachers 50:50 male and female? Why are there no schemes making university 50:50 male and female?

"I don't care about women's problems so unless feminism also addresses my problems, I think it has no right to exist".

"How dare that group address their problems and not my group's problem".

By bringing up your issues when someone else brings up theirs, you show that you do not care about their issues. Much like religion, their arguments are all based on having faith so to them they make sense. Your arguments are all based on you not caring. And yes, if one implicitly doesn't care then yes, feminism and women's rights are all a joke.
Exactly, same i know these women who are all like no not enough women in STEM careers and they are geniuses seriously they are geniuses
ME - "What are you studying at A -Levels?"
THEM - "English Lit & Lang', History, Gov & Politics, Citizenship

ME - "What do you think about the no of women in STEM careers"
THEM - "Stupid men oppressing us and not letting us go into STEM careers"
ME - "Oh ok. I totally see what you mean"

http://www.cls.ioe.ac.uk/page.aspx?sitesectionid=363&sitesectiontitle=Single-sex+schools

Those studies have shown that girls attending single-sex schools are more likely to choose STEM subjects at GCSE and A level and degree, to get better scores in them, to earn more in mid-life - oh and are just as likely to get married as girls who attend co-ed (to counter the argument some make that they won't now how to form relationships with males).

The point is that in an environment were there are males, gender stereotypes arise. Women may have all the equal rights under the law as they want, but that does not mean that much when gender stereotypes shape the upbringing of young girls.

It goes the other way as well. My boss has a son who used to love doing ballet even though he was the only boy there. He was fully accepted by the girls. One day he decided to wear his tutu outside of ballet. Other boys saw it and bullied him. He has not been back to ballet since.
Original post by JustPadz
Only thing that baffles me is why there is so much effort for women in STEM, but nothing for men in nursing? Do any feminists have an answer for this?

Why should feminists get men into nursing? If men want more men into nursing then they should campaign for that (and if they did, you wouldn't see women cry about it like men do about feminism).

This whole idea that because feminism means equality it means women should work for men's issues is completely ridiculous. "Men and women both have issues so unless women address the men's issues, they shouldn't address their own". There is not a single other campaign or charity or suchlike where such a warped standard is applied. And the only reason I have said above is because you don't actually care about women's issues, else you wouldn't judge such issues in comparison to others.
I have seen another post like this and hopefully you realise that those are UK based companies and groups. Obviously they wouldnt care about the healthcare in Ghana and the child abuse in Ghana, I am sure that if they had the funding and the money they would but they dont. However with feminism it is different because it isnt a company it is equal rights for all women which it should be about not just equal rights for white women.

So the UK part of the feminist movement should focus as much on the UK as the rest of the world?

What ridiculous logic.
I think I don't feel. How are women oppresed in the first world?

No, you don't think. Else you would realize that preferring cancer to a political ideology is complete nonsense.

You are not really interested in that question because your mind is already made up about the issue. One great example I will give you though, is actually backed by multiple studies. Women are not listened to as much as men. It has been shown that in meetings a woman can bring up a point and be completely ignored and yet a man bringing up that point later on will suddenly get listened to. A nice article from Forbes on this http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucekasanoff/2015/04/13/drowning-out-the-voices-of-women/#6944bea5f693
Original post by Jee1
I was a femenist before and then I realised that I was supporting something which was for the benefit of white women only. Regardless of gender if you are good then you can demand to get paid higher.
Men do the most dangerous and dirties types of jobs. I don't see them complaining or. demanding like 99% of feminists.

I agree I think more women should do the hard manual dirty jobs too. When I mentioned that I'd thought about going into building to my ex boyfriend though he laughed and said I wouldn't get employment so maybe employers need to be more accepting too. Another problem I find is that women can get 'dissed' a bit for acting too manly. I'm willing to do outdoor work I'm in the army reserves but the amount of time my ex said that I wasn't 'feminine' and that I walked/acted/thought like a male just made me think no wonder women are reluctant to get tough and dirty if they feel it's not accepted or 'going against the grain' in society. I was at the gym and overheard a conversation about me lifting weights and a guy said 'I'm sure she's a man in a woman's body'. Whatever that means I'm not sure but maybe if more women overcame this feeling that they arn't supposed to do manual work attitudes would change and their equal pay argument would be taken more seriously. Yet as you say this issue is nothing compared to inequalities in third word countries which should get priority if there is anything that needs to be tackled. I just think there should be less whining and more action, women need to show that they are willing to put this soft girly image aside to do manual work if their claims are to be taken more seriously.
**** Feminism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending