The Student Room Group

*Reapplying after dropping out due to depression*

Hi Everyone,

I attended university from 2015 to 2016 having taken a gap year the year before.

I unfortunately had to drop out because of depression and anxiety and I'm currently on a gap year but at home with my family getting better. I'm 21.

I am reapplying to universities now but I'm unsure whether to mention my first stint at university in my ucas/personal statement.

If I do should I be honest and say I dropped out for mental health reasons? Health reasons? Personal reasons? Or just not mention it at all?

Im worried about 2 things; 1. If I don't mention my first stint at university they will think I did nothing that whole year and 2. If I do mention if they will be hesitant to take someone who's had mental health issues.

Thanks a lot for any advice in advance
Put what you did in the year on your personal statement.

Put your reasons for dropping out on your reference.

And no they won't be hesitant. I'm not even sure if that's legal.
I had the exact same Issue. I took a year out then went to do business studies and had such a boring time being alone in my room mean while house mates already made good friends before they even went to the university. For me it was partly the course. I also did literally NOTHING on my gap year... i was so depressed and lonely I didn't even get a job.
But I have heard people say don't put anything negative on. Also it's a new application so universities won't know you applied before. If you told them about your mental illness they may be thinking hmm... this guy is likely to drop out and universities lose money. Put it this way... I don't think it will help your application and they also won't know that you've previously dropped out so it's not something worth mentioning nor should you have to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
If you didn't complete any modules then you don't need list that university on your ucas form.. Only list completed modules/courses.
I'm in a similar situation although mine is a transfer to a different uni. I've completed some modules in the first semester but I won't be completing the 2nd semester modules. I've been advised to include only completed modules and keep my personal statement positive and not focus on the reason for leaving my current uni. If I hadn't completed modules already then I wouldn't be putting this uni on the form, just my college and school.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Azaelia
If you didn't complete any modules then you don't need list that university on your ucas form.. Only list completed modules/courses.
I'm in a similar situation although mine is a transfer to a different uni. I've completed some modules in the first semester but I won't be completing the 2nd semester modules. I've been advised to include only completed modules and keep my personal statement positive and not focus on the reason for leaving my current uni. If I hadn't completed modules already then I wouldn't be putting this uni on the form, just my college and school.

This is incorrect.

UCAS (and universities) ask for your full education history. That includes attendance at universities even if you don't receive any qualifications (modules). You should still list the university and the dates of attendance. If you withhold information your application is technically fraudulent.

If you completed any modules then university credits are a formal qualification and must also be declared.

Original post by LondonsVeryOwnM
Hi Everyone,

I attended university from 2015 to 2016 having taken a gap year the year before.

I unfortunately had to drop out because of depression and anxiety and I'm currently on a gap year but at home with my family getting better. I'm 21.

I am reapplying to universities now but I'm unsure whether to mention my first stint at university in my ucas/personal statement.

If I do should I be honest and say I dropped out for mental health reasons? Health reasons? Personal reasons? Or just not mention it at all?

Im worried about 2 things; 1. If I don't mention my first stint at university they will think I did nothing that whole year and 2. If I do mention if they will be hesitant to take someone who's had mental health issues.

Thanks a lot for any advice in advance

List your previous university in your education. Talk to your referee to get your reasons for leaving (and reassurance that those issues are not likely to recur) within your reference.

You PS should focus on your reasons for wanting to study. If you mention your previous university study then talk about what you learned from the experience that makes you a stronger candidate now.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
This is incorrect.

UCAS (and universities) ask for your full education history. That includes attendance at universities even if you don't receive any qualifications (modules). You should still list the university and the dates of attendance. If you withhold information your application is technically fraudulent.

If you completed any modules then university credits are a formal qualification and must also be declared.

List your previous university in your education. Talk to your referee to get your reasons for leaving (and reassurance that those issues are not likely to recur) within your reference.

You PS should focus on your reasons for wanting to study. If you mention your previous university study then talk about what you learned from the experience that makes you a stronger candidate now.

I didn't know that PQ. I was led to believe only completed modules were to be put on UCAS. I know that SFE need to know all attempts at study for funding purposes.
Do you mind if I ask you a question. When I add the modules that I didn't complete to UCAS, my mark will be zero. I am really worried about how a zero will look. I do have medical evidence for why I didn't feel able to turn up to the exam or have sufficient work to hand in, in the portfolio for that double module though. Do you think they'll give my application consideration. I'm really concerned they'll see the modules I was enrolled for but didn't complete and not give me a second look for fear it might happen again.
Original post by Azaelia
I didn't know that PQ. I was led to believe only completed modules were to be put on UCAS. I know that SFE need to know all attempts at study for funding purposes.
Do you mind if I ask you a question. When I add the modules that I didn't complete to UCAS, my mark will be zero. I am really worried about how a zero will look. I do have medical evidence for why I didn't feel able to turn up to the exam or have sufficient work to hand in, in the portfolio for that double module though. Do you think they'll give my application consideration. I'm really concerned they'll see the modules I was enrolled for but didn't complete and not give me a second look for fear it might happen again.

Make sure it's covered by your reference (including the fact that you can provide evidence if needed).

It shouldn't harm your application.
Damn I didn't know this... I only went for a month to my uni... I mean one uni has accepted my application... how would they know? :s-smilie:
Original post by James385
Damn I didn't know this... I only went for a month to my uni... I mean one uni has accepted my application... how would they know? :s-smilie:

UCAS will have linked your applications together

Once you arrive at university HESA will link your attendance together (and the student loan company will list you as continuing instead of a new entrant to HE).

Ring your universities up and explain that you didn't list it - then follow it up with an email to confirm the details in writing.

Owning up to not including information by mistake will not normally damage your application - getting caught out deliberately withholding information may well cost your place)
Original post by PQ
UCAS will have linked your applications together

Once you arrive at university HESA will link your attendance together (and the student loan company will list you as continuing instead of a new entrant to HE).

Ring your universities up and explain that you didn't list it - then follow it up with an email to confirm the details in writing.

Owning up to not including information by mistake will not normally damage your application - getting caught out deliberately withholding information may well cost your place)

Nottingham trent didn't seem to mind.

The ones i want to get into are teesside and staffordshire.. they haven't accepted or declined it yet. Can i just send them an email?
Nottingham trent didn't seem to mind.

The ones i want to get into are teesside and staffordshire.. they haven't accepted or declined it yet. Can i just send them an email?

You'll get a quicker answer by phoning first (then emailing a follow up).
Original post by PQ
You'll get a quicker answer by phoning first (then emailing a follow up).

Thanks for your help you may have saved my application!
Just wondering... will the uni that has accepted my offer have already seen the ALL information (AKA my attendance at Roehampton) that was send to them? They did seem to accept my offer very quickly so I'm going to assume they are low on applications so this sort of thing wouldn't bother them...
Thanks for your help you may have saved my application!
Just wondering... will the uni that has accepted my offer have already seen the ALL information (AKA my attendance at Roehampton) that was send to them? They did seem to accept my offer very quickly so I'm going to assume they are low on applications so this sort of thing wouldn't bother them...

The student loan information wont be available until you enrol on the course.

The matching with HESA records would show up at the start of your second year.

Don't assume they know about your previous study (because if it comes to light after you enrol on the course then that can cause all sorts of problems) - inform them.
Original post by PQ

Don't assume they know about your previous study (because if it comes to light after you enrol on the course then that can cause all sorts of problems) - inform them.

I won't go to that uni no matter what... the 2 that i would i have contacted. Do i really need to let them know if i know for sure i wont go there? I mean provided that i dont accept their offer i should be ok?
Original post by PQ

They replied saying:
''Thank you for emailing to let us know. This will not be a problem and will not affect your application in any way.''
They replied saying:
''Thank you for emailing to let us know. This will not be a problem and will not affect your application in any way.''

It's rarely a problem - but you've covered yourself now and they can't hold it against you :smile:
Original post by PQ
It's rarely a problem - but you've covered yourself now and they can't hold it against you :smile:

Thanks again!
Hi. How did this go for you? I'm in the exact same situation now- trying to drop out of Glasgow Psychology to go to Birmingham (close to home). Were there any issues with the new uni regarding the reason you dropped out initially?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending