The Student Room Group

Buying my first car which car should i get?

Been driving for 2-3 years now using the family car and getting my own car which car would you suggest?

Scroll to see replies

Well what do you want?
Any particular make? 3 door? 5 door? Big engine? Small engine?
Reply 2
Original post by Jackieox
Well what do you want?
Any particular make? 3 door? 5 door? Big engine? Small engine?

Im not sure which make but defo 5 seats and something just to help me nip around my area comfortably :smile:
The usual suspects: Yaris, Fiesta, Polo.
Reply 4
Get a car on lease, something like an A-class or an A3.
Word of Advice:

Check Insurance prices !
Original post by JazzMc
Been driving for 2-3 years now using the family car and getting my own car which car would you suggest?

There are plenty of nice cars to choose from. Make sure you do the homework. Ring all the insurance companies and get a rough estimate. If you are hauling your family around, get a 2004-2008 Mazda 6 estate. It's a great car, handles well, gets decent mileage.
Original post by money-for-all
Word of Advice:

Check Insurance prices !

I totally agree with this. Insurance prices for young drivers are shocking enough as it is. Theres nothing worse than getting a car and then realising after that its going to cost a bomb to insure.
I own a 2007 Fiat Grande Punto 1.2L

It's a nice car I love it but they do have their issues which im still sorting after 2 years of owning it, as Fiat goes: Fix It Again Tomorrow
Reply 9
Original post by JazzMc

Depends what type of car you need?

Are you looking to purchase, or happy to use a finance plan? Nowadays it's so easy to get new cars on finance.

Have a look on the VW website (or others) at their offers. A VW Golf is one I'd recommend looking at.

You need to check insurance prices as well though.
Original post by sh9
Depends what type of car you need?

Are you looking to purchase, or happy to use a finance plan? Nowadays it's so easy to get new cars on finance.

Have a look on the VW website (or others) at their offers. A VW Golf is one I'd recommend looking at.

You need to check insurance prices as well though.

Finance has been something I've been looking into for a while. You can easily get a Seat Ibiza which is a great small car for less than 120 a month
Fiat Punto is a good car :smile: and then the standard Fiesta, Focus, Corsa etc

Buy it outright, then you wont owe anybody anything - If you get it on Finance you'll pay more for it.
Original post by PhilipG1
I own a 2007 Fiat Grande Punto 1.2L

It's a nice car I love it but they do have their issues which im still sorting after 2 years of owning it, as Fiat goes: Fix It Again Tomorrow

Thats strange - my 2003 Punto is in perfect condition but tbf , its only done 34,000 miles!
You will need (a) a job and (b) a reasonable credit rating if you're thinking of finance in any of its many guises (PCP, PHP, HP, Bank loan). I also recommend that whatever car takes your fancy, you do a price comparison website search for the likely insurance premium before you commit to buying it.
Original post by Jack22031994
Thats strange - my 2003 Punto is in perfect condition but tbf , its only done 34,000 miles!

Mine's done 75k and yeah it's had it's issues. Some things were wear and tear but other things were uncontrollable like electrical issues
Original post by PhilipG1
Mine's done 75k and yeah it's had it's issues. Some things were wear and tear but other things were uncontrollable like electrical issues

ah fair dos! i suppose mines rare beinf nearly 14 years old with the milage it has!
Check out the Kia Picanto or a Rio, pretty decent cars and you do get lots of kit for the money.
VW UP! is good
what sort of budget do you have?

Dec :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by decgreen
what sort of budget do you have?

Dec :smile:

not too expensive just something to help me get around :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending