The Student Room Group

Cranfield vs UCL

Hello everyone,

I was recently accepted into both Cranfield School of Management (MSc in Finance & Management) and University College London (MSc in Management). However, I am having trouble deciding which offer would be better choose. I am from the United States and would like to find a career in accounting or financial services in London following the end of my course. Both seem to be well ranked and Cranfield is quite a bit cheaper. Any advice or wisdom would be much appreciated.
From a completely nonbusiness point, in terms of prestige, if you said you went to UCL everyone would know that university, but not as many people would know Cranfield.

However, you wouldn't be trying to impress nonbusiness people with a degree, and Cranfield is probably well respected in the business world if it is high ranking, but overall, UCL is more well known.
Cranfield is well known and well regarded within the UK business world - it doesn't matter that the average person may not have heard of it. If Cranfield is significantly cheaper then it sounds like a no-brainer. Living costs will be much lower than London, too.

I've got an engineering degree from Cranfield so if you've got any questions about the place I'd be happy to try and help.
Original post by OrlandoMag
Hello everyone,

I was recently accepted into both Cranfield School of Management (MSc in Finance & Management) and University College London (MSc in Management). However, I am having trouble deciding which offer would be better choose. I am from the United States and would like to find a career in accounting or financial services in London following the end of my course. Both seem to be well ranked and Cranfield is quite a bit cheaper. Any advice or wisdom would be much appreciated.

UCL is one of 6 target schools in the UK. To get into finance UCL is several leagues above cranfield, a school which is not even considered a "semi-target".

If you're serious about finance the only point in which it becomes a challenge is if you're deciding between: Oxford/Cambridge/ICL/LSE/LBS/Warwick/UCL

If cost is a major issue i'd recommend you look at the likes of Cass, Manchester etc. these aren't as good as UCL but are still considered "semi" - targets
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Oilfreak1
UCL is one of 6 target schools in the UK. To get into finance UCL is several leagues above cranfield, a school which is not even considered a "semi-target".

If you're serious about finance the only point in which it becomes a challenge is if you're deciding between: Oxford/Cambridge/ICL/LSE/LBS/Warwick/UCL

If cost is a major issue i'd recommend you look at the likes of Cass, Manchester etc. these aren't as good as UCL but are still considered "semi" - targets

Thanks for the response! You think even though the program at UCL is a MSc in Management with an emphasis in Finance, it would still be better for breaking into finance jobs in London?
Thanks for the response! You think even though the program at UCL is a MSc in Management with an emphasis in Finance, it would still be better for breaking into finance jobs in London?

Of course the majority of your class at UCL will likely be there for the same reason. Going to a target makes it much easier to get into finance but it's still crazy difficult.
Reply 6
Hello everyone,

You will regret not choosing UCL. Especially for finance. If you want to go into some of the more juicy jobs, not
coming from an outstanding uni will literally make it impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Duncan2012
Cranfield is well known and well regarded within the UK business world - it doesn't matter that the average person may not have heard of it. If Cranfield is significantly cheaper then it sounds like a no-brainer. Living costs will be much lower than London, too.

I've got an engineering degree from Cranfield so if you've got any questions about the place I'd be happy to try and help.

Hello,

I would like to ask! if you have to choose for Msc Process Systems Engineering between Surrey and Cranfield? as for the modules surrey has more according to the website!!!
Original post by Shelly81
Hello,

I would like to ask! if you have to choose for Msc Process Systems Engineering between Surrey and Cranfield? as for the modules surrey has more according to the website!!!

Hi Shelly,

I thought I should put down here what the modules are with Cranfield's MSc Process Systems Engineering;

Management for Technology: Energy Risk and Reliability; Engineering Process Plant Operations; Process Design and Simulation

Optional
Pumps and Pumping Systems Process Measurement Systems Advanced Control Systems Computational Fluid Dynamics for Industrial Processes Thermal Systems Operation and Design.

Fees for International Student is £17,500 for Cranfield.

Fees for International Students for Surrey is £19,000.

In Cranfield you become part of an Engineering Community, that was rated top 40 in the world, for mechanical, aeronautical and manufacturing engineering disciplines by QS world university rankings just as recent as 2016.

In the UK, only Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial share the same Top 40 spot with Cranfield.

https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2016/mar/22/qs-world-university-rankings-2016-mechanical-aeronautical-and-manufacturing-engineering

Any questions, feel free to ask. You can visit Cranfield and Surrey's website to help in your decision making!

Cheers,

Oke.
Reply 9
Original post by Cranfield University
Hi Shelly,

I thought I should put down here what the modules are with Cranfield's MSc Process Systems Engineering;

Management for Technology: Energy Risk and Reliability; Engineering Process Plant Operations; Process Design and Simulation

Optional
Pumps and Pumping Systems Process Measurement Systems Advanced Control Systems Computational Fluid Dynamics for Industrial Processes Thermal Systems Operation and Design.

Fees for International Student is £17,500 for Cranfield.

Fees for International Students for Surrey is £19,000.

In Cranfield you become part of an Engineering Community, that was rated top 40 in the world, for mechanical, aeronautical and manufacturing engineering disciplines by QS world university rankings just as recent as 2016.

In the UK, only Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial share the same Top 40 spot with Cranfield.

https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2016/mar/22/qs-world-university-rankings-2016-mechanical-aeronautical-and-manufacturing-engineering

Any questions, feel free to ask. You can visit Cranfield and Surrey's website to help in your decision making!

Cheers,

Oke.

thanks again Oke, that s interesting
Original post by Oilfreak1
Of course the majority of your class at UCL will likely be there for the same reason. Going to a target makes it much easier to get into finance but it's still crazy difficult.

Hi,
People who I have met and work in Finance ( Banking) don’t usually come from a management background with an emphasis in Finance, as you mentioned your intended course was.
Many people opt for an MSc in management as a cheap alternative to an MBA.
I am curious to know what you chose and what you see are your job prospects at the moment.
Let us know.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi @OrlandoMag

First of all, congratulations on your offer from both top universities!. The next step involves comparing the quality of education they both offer in that field along with the respective cost, then finally, the living cost. An MSc. in Finance and Management at Cranfield University is ranked in the Times Higher Education for 2019 as 2nd in the UK, 4th in Europe and 6th in the world! See link: https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/about-us/rankings.
Furthermore, Cranfield School of Management has produced a lot of notable alumni spanning from Warren East CBE (Chief Executive, Rolls-Royce), Sir Charlie Mayfield (Chairman, John Lewis Partnership), Anthony Jenkins (Former Chief Executive, Barclays Bank), and list goes on…spreading across the globe! See link below for a bit of motivation :smile:
Notable alumni- https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/about-us/our-team/notable-alumni
Alumni for management- https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/cranfield-mba-programmes/mba-full-time/alumni-profiles

Our strong alumni network contributes to an efficient networking system round the globe which could aid fresh graduates from any management related courses. Cranfield University offers an industrial based approach in our modules and group/individual projects making it easier for you to fit into the labour market (workplace) quickly.
Furthermore, you get to learn both finance and management principles coupled with trainings in relevant tools and techniques. Thus killing two birds with a stone! :smile:

For more information on the Msc. in Finance and Management, visit https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/masters-courses/finance-and-management?utm_medium=Listing%20Site&utm_source=QS&utm_campaign=SoMIPSR_ListingSite_QS_2019_FM

Finally, from the cost perspective, MSc. in Finance and Management at Cranfield University is about £6220.00 cheaper! than an Msc. in Management at UCL. The living expenses at Cranfield is almost triple times cheaper than at London. At Cranfield University, distractions and travel hassles are almost eliminated as Cranfield town is not too busy unlike London.
I hope you get a bigger picture of what Cranfield University would offer you on your stay throughout your course. For any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask me.

Cheers,
Akan- PhD student at Cranfield University
Cranfield University TSR Rep.
Hello everyone,

Quick Reply

Latest