The Student Room Group

I had a heart problem on Xmas night, I want to understand it-any Medics on?

When I say understand, I mean what I ate and drank that made it happen. My diet is not usually unhealthy. I ended up feeling a bit resentful that I had gone to my sis's and had a huge slap up dinner, because I control my diet usually.

I walked back to get exercise, and there in the morning, and was getting exercise over the Xmas period, so it is not lack of exercise.

I was in bed that night and I felt a seizing up across my upper arms, upper and upper and lower chest, like a constriction, and like people describe heart attacks, I tried to hardly move and the feeling didn't go for a long time, I think I drank water to try and help it. I stayed in bed at an angle lent a bit up, and tried not to move sharply.

I can't recall precisely how long it lasted but I must have got to sleep some hours late and then been better in the morning.

It felt pretty serious.

I will try and tell what I ate as much as I recall.

Almonds, loads.
Pecan pie
Olives.
Bit of prawn.
Beer
Coffee?
Sausage
Turkey
Cream, bacon, Chesnuts, Sprouts.
Tiramisu.
Carrots, again a lot, for the starter too.
At home, I think tow choc almond milks with supplements of vitamins and calcium
An innocent smoothie with vitamin supplements and guarana.

I Think I must have had too many of certain vitamins, if you look at the top there was tons of vitamin E, loads and loads, then vitamin A with carrots.
Loads of meat and then cream for fat.
Guarana, and lots of caffeine, plus alcohol- bad mix of stimulant and depressant?
I've also heard calcium supplements can be bad for the heart if you are not just taking milk.

So the fact of having two drinks with added calcium in, plus the other stress?

Then there is all the vitamins added up, from all the drinks plus the nuts etc.

You can't have too much D or C.

So was it too much vitamin E, A, B of a kind, the guarana and caffeine plus alcohol, the sat fat/ cholesterol, or a combination of all these?

The other thing I thought is that it might be an acid/alkaline balance thing...you might need further questions on that.

Are there any experts or med students in that could help me?
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
When I say understand, I mean what I ate and drank that made it happen. My diet is not usually unhealthy. I ended up feeling a bit resentful that I had gone to my sis's and had a huge slap up dinner, because I control my diet usually.

I walked back to get exercise, and there in the morning, and was getting exercise over the Xmas period, so it is not lack of exercise.

I was in bed that night and I felt a seizing up across my upper arms, upper and upper and lower chest, like a constriction, and like people describe heart attacks, I tried to hardly move and the feeling didn't go for a long time, I think I drank water to try and help it. I stayed in bed at an angle lent a bit up, and tried not to move sharply.

I can't recall precisely how long it lasted but I must have got to sleep some hours late and then been better in the morning.

It felt pretty serious.

I will try and tell what I ate as much as I recall.

Almonds, loads.
Pecan pie
Olives.
Bit of prawn.
Beer
Coffee?
Sausage
Turkey
Cream, bacon, Chesnuts, Sprouts.
Tiramisu.
Carrots, again a lot, for the starter too.
At home, I think tow choc almond milks with supplements of vitamins and calcium
An innocent smoothie with vitamin supplements and guarana.

I Think I must have had too many of certain vitamins, if you look at the top there was tons of vitamin E, loads and loads, then vitamin A with carrots.
Loads of meat and then cream for fat.
Guarana, and lots of caffeine, plus alcohol- bad mix of stimulant and depressant?
I've also heard calcium supplements can be bad for the heart if you are not just taking milk.

So the fact of having two drinks with added calcium in, plus the other stress?

Then there is all the vitamins added up, from all the drinks plus the nuts etc.

You can't have too much D or C.

So was it too much vitamin E, A, B of a kind, the guarana and caffeine plus alcohol, the sat fat/ cholesterol, or a combination of all these?

The other thing I thought is that it might be an acid/alkaline balance thing...you might need further questions on that.

Are there any experts or med students in that could help me?

Did you enjoy your day and what were you thinking when you went to sleep/lay in bed?
Original post by Little Popcorns
Did you enjoy your day and what were you thinking when you went to sleep/lay in bed?

Is this holistic health?

I was asking about what I put in my body.
Such dramatic symptoms are inconsistent with eating normal food, unless you have some sort of allergy to something (the nuts and prawns would be prime suspects here). Do you have any food allergies. Have you ever had a panic attack?

Apart from that, you seem to have lived through it. What did you feel like in the morning? And no-one's going to give you a definitive diagnosis via the internet - if you're worried you need to see your GP.
Original post by Reality Check
Such dramatic symptoms are inconsistent with eating normal food, unless you have some sort of allergy to something (the nuts and prawns would be prime suspects here). Do you have any food allergies. Have you ever had a panic attack?

Apart from that, you seem to have lived through it. What did you feel like in the morning? And no-one's going to give you a definitive diagnosis via the internet - if you're worried you need to see your GP.

No, no allergies, I eat virtually everything. I've eaten nuts and prawns my whole life.

I think guarana and caffeine, potent stimulants plus beer might not have helped the heart. I also forgot to add baklava, so even more nuts.
So there was masses of vitamin E, and then there was more caffeine in the choc vitamin drinks, and almond and vit E in them too.
And then calcium additions, which I heard a re bad.

I think I have more of a picture now. Masses of vitamin E plus the rest.
Sounds like acid reflux more than anything. Certainly nothing to do with your heart and probably has very little to do with vitamin E.
Sleep paralysis (if you couldn't move)? All kinds of problems happen if you sleep on your back, 99% nothing to worry about.
Cyanide poisoning!!!111
if you are worried then just pop in to your GP for a quick once over :h:

better to be safe than sorry.
Original post by Etomidate
Sounds like acid reflux more than anything. Certainly nothing to do with your heart and probably has very little to do with vitamin E.

Well I say vitamin E cos I had such exceptional amounts with the nuts and all. Never had that much.

What about stimulants and booze?

Also, how does acid reflux happen?

Is it to do with a lot of acidic foods?

And the pain was more on the left as I recall, but it was all the way cross.
Original post by liberty cap
Cyanide poisoning!!!111

Nice of you.
Nice of you.

Well it could be, check your almonds.
No, no allergies, I eat virtually everything. I've eaten nuts and prawns my whole life.

I think guarana and caffeine, potent stimulants plus beer might not have helped the heart. I also forgot to add baklava, so even more nuts.
So there was masses of vitamin E, and then there was more caffeine in the choc vitamin drinks, and almond and vit E in them too.
And then calcium additions, which I heard a re bad.

I think I have more of a picture now. Masses of vitamin E plus the rest.

It sounds more like indigestion/heartburn to me.
Might have been anxiety from the caffeine if you had a lot, especially since you ate a lot of food since that would have slowed down the absorption and it didn't kick in until late. Might also have been acid reflux as other have said. Worth getting your doc to check you over in any case, no advice any of us can give will be better than that.
Is this holistic health?

I was asking about what I put in my body.
cock?
Original post by Little Popcorns
cock?

An easily offended, thin skinned, infantile homophobe.

Is this the barometer for future generations of doctors?

No wonder this country is clueless.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by liberty cap
Well it could be, check your almonds.

Thanks. My constitution must be pretty heroic.
An easily offended, thin skinned, infantile homophobe.

Is this the barometer for future generations of doctors?

No wonder this country is clueless.
I'm a future doctor? eh?
You ate a lot, had alcohol, and found it more comfortable sleeping propped up --> pretty typical of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease.
i assume your young. eating a chrimbo meal will not cause a heart attack. well not unless you were seriously ill with a wonky heart. i will assume you have no know cardiac history then itsrare for a young person to have heart problems. unless your abusing cocaine then it can happen. reflux can mimic the pain of a cardiac event. has you say you porked out its most likely. it seems odd that you thought you were having a serious cardiac event yet you went to sleep. if you ever believe thatyour having an heart attack do not do so again. call 999. dont call your gp. its over a month since christmas have you even been to see your doctor. im sure he/she will love to see you now a month to late.

seriously if it reaccures get it checked at once.

Quick Reply

Latest