The Student Room Group

2017 Oxford Prospective Students [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fablereader
I'd just use mine as motivation. I could really use some.

Idk... it's on my table right now, next to my St Andrews offer letter which is also there to keep me motivated to make grades :tongue:

Original post by auburnstar
They do say everything is bigger in Texas. :wink: Oklahoma is like Texas but smaller and shaped like a gun, which is a bit ironic if you think about it. xD

But most Texans are lovely as wolfmoon said. :smile:

Everything is bigger in Texas :wink: One of my first best friends from outside of my country was a Texan :yep:

Original post by rugratsrus
Haha. My parents are huge Texas Rangers fan. HUGE. We humor them but I am not big into sports.

To me, Texas has turned into a concrete jungle. I grew up in a one stoplight town that is one of those new 'yuppie' places now. It brings sad memories.

But you, in general, are right. The people as individuals can be extremely friendly. It has just turned a bit ugly lately with 'the politics and social stuff' but this could be said around many places in the States.

If you think about it, you could replace almost any area in the last paragraph. We, as a country and community, have become much more polarized and unwilling to listen when puts a stain on the hospitality which is usually so forthcoming.

But alas, we are in the UK now. And I do not miss the guns and the concrete. I do sometimes miss the heat. Ok, I miss the heat lots.

For industrialisation, you can say that about everywhere in the US tbh. Yeah, politics polarised the country so much... families and friendships are broken and America is left to pick up the pieces... culminating in the hatred and anger that propelled this election cycle...

Hahaha, I don't like the Rangers :no:, as a Yankees fan I still remember the 2010 AL Championship series when the Rangers beat us to the pennant! Yankees pretty much slipped out of contention since then... :frown: Don't really care much about the Dallas Mavericks either :/
Original post by rugratsrus

But alas, we are in the UK now. And I do not miss the guns and the concrete. I do sometimes miss the heat. Ok, I miss the heat lots.

Seasons of Oklahoma weather:

"Spring" aka tornado season, earthquakes
"Summer" aka dying from sudden heat wave
Those 2 wks after summer before winter in "Autumn" aka the only nice time of the year
"Winter" aka blizzard snowstorm
Wow, it has gone quiet here. I'm seeing virtual tumbleweed.
Wow, it has gone quiet here. I'm seeing virtual tumbleweed.

Yeah. I guess people have either moved onto looking at other universities for their firms or are no longer interested, as they have their offers.
Original post by CatusStarbright
Yeah. I guess people have either moved onto looking at other universities for their firms or are no longer interested, as they have their offers.

Probably, yeah.
When I lived in the States, I didn't pay much attention to unis as I was too young. However, even I knew Oxford was among the very best. Oh, and there was something about a place called Cambridge ... :biggrin:

in Massachusetts -- you know, where Harvard and MIT are.
Original post by Montdale
in Massachusetts -- you know, where Harvard and MIT are.

:laugh: How could I forget the Cambridge of the States?
im still lurking :colondollar:
I've been busy processing my offer from Oxford and rejection from Durham. If I was going to be rejected by one that is the right way around :wink:
Original post by Pentaquark
im still lurking :colondollar:

:smile:
Original post by 66mhnldn
I've been busy processing my offer from Oxford and rejection from Durham. If I was going to be rejected by one that is the right way around :wink:

Indeed. :laugh:
Reply 271
Original post by CatusStarbright

Offer holders activity seems to be mostly on Facebook now, setting up group chats etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qeyoo
Offer holders activity seems to be mostly on Facebook now, setting up group chats etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there any particular group chat for offer holders? I seem to be getting invited to several
Original post by Barbastelle
Is there any particular group chat for offer holders? I seem to be getting invited to several

yh id like to know that too, looking for a chemistry chat, or a st catz chat
Original post by 3acetoneperoxide
yh id like to know that too, looking for a chemistry chat, or a st catz chat

Yeah everything is on the oxford offer holders 2017/2018 page. There are subject group chats and specific college group chats people have set up.
I think that page is the main one.
Currently like just over 40 in the chem group chat
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 275

There are college and subject ones, but not a general chat, only a general page
Original post by Pentaquark
Yeah everything is on the oxford offer holders 2017/2018 page. There are subject group chats and specific college group chats people have set up.
I think that page is the main one.
Currently like just over 40 in the chem group chat

not to seem to stupid or anything but i can't for the life of me find it? its not a search result

I got invited to a couple for some reason, despite not being an offer holder. :confused:
Reply 278
Original post by 3acetoneperoxide
not to seem to stupid or anything but i can't for the life of me find it? its not a search result

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1806349706278661/?ref=br_tf

I think we're talking about this one.

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending