The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Manchester, Bath, Leeds or Sheffield?

Hello everyone, I'm currently in my final year of school and I've applied to the universities of Bath, Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield for a foundation year. I've been accepted into all of them with conditional offers aside from bath, which I have an unconditional offer for.

I was wondering if you guys could help shed some light on which Universities are good and which one of them I should cross off my list? I've tried doing so much research and have not come up with anything but a great list for all the above. If you guys could please evaluate the universities and let me know the pros and cons to any you have expertise with, or any of which you have heard of and are sure of, then that would really mean a lot to me. Please ignore the conditions for now as they can be achieved.

If it's of any help, I'm going to major in Civil Engineering. Thank you all in advance!
Original post by othebest
Hello everyone, I'm currently in my final year of school and I've applied to the universities of Bath, Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield for a foundation year. I've been accepted into all of them with conditional offers aside from bath, which I have an unconditional offer for.

I was wondering if you guys could help shed some light on which Universities are good and which one of them I should cross off my list? I've tried doing so much research and have not come up with anything but a great list for all the above. If you guys could please evaluate the universities and let me know the pros and cons to any you have expertise with, or any of which you have heard of and are sure of, then that would really mean a lot to me. Please ignore the conditions for now as they can be achieved.

If it's of any help, I'm going to major in Civil Engineering. Thank you all in advance!

Hi,

I'm a second year Chemical Engineering student at Bath. I don't know too much about the other universities that you're applying for but I can tell you a bit about my experience at Bath so far.

I guess the main difference between it and the others is that the city itself is a bit smaller. So even though there's still a decent range of bars/clubs/restaurants etc, there's not quite as many as in bigger cities. I was worried about this when I came but I really haven't found it to be too much of a problem.

There's still a lot going on, especially if you choose to live up on campus, and Bristol is just a fifteen minute train away which has everything you might need. And there are definitely some perks of living in a smaller city. For example, it definitely feels like the city is more student focused, because such a large proportion of the population are students.

Hope that helps! I would get some opinions from people at the other universities if you can, but I can certainly recommend Bath, I've really enjoyed my time here so far.

Tim
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Firstly, congrats on your offers, especially your unconditional for Bath.
I'm a first year student at Bath and although I dont do your particular course, the vast majority of my friends do engineering courses of which civil engineering is ranked the third best in the UK meaning your course in terms of the standard of teaching and student enjoyment is just about as high as anything else at Bath.
In terms of the city, it's an extremely good city which in my experience so far is easy to navigate around and has many places of interest as it's a world heritage site. In addition, it's small which means whether you live on campus or the city, your extremely close to the main city centre so it's extremely convenient.
Therefore, I would recommend bath to you although all universities do have pros and cons.
Reply 3
Wow, you have an unconditional offer from Bath! :eek:

Congratulations! The University of Bath is amazing, you're so lucky, it's the 3rd in rankings for civil engineering! They have connections with huge companies and their placements are rather special, job prospects are also shockingly impressive.

Manchester is recognized internationally and the engineering course is pretty good, I have friends who study there and they're happy with the course and the teachers. They invest a lot in your education.

I'd say it's a tie between Manchester and Bath.
If at all possible you should visit each one even if its not an official open day. You could make a trip of it abd go North, then visit Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield over 2-4 days as well as having a look around.

Quick Reply

Latest