The Student Room Group

How important is a 'good taste in music' to you?

Would you rather date a girl who has similar tastes?

I would hate it if the girl I date said "I don't like the Smiths"...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CyclePath

I actually only very recently realised that it is important! I never actually dated someone that listens to the same kind of music as I do, and I think that it kind of contributed to the relationship issues. I mean if you love music, it's a big part of you, then it is important to share that with your significant other!
Music is really important to me, so yes it would definitely be a good thing if my boyfriend liked the same music as me :smile:
I'd strongly prefer a guy with similar taste but as long as you're good with me blasting various musicals and beastie boys it's all good lmao. Having said that if someone only listened to chart music that'd be a massive turn off for me :s-smilie:

I don't know what's worse, a complete lack of interest in music, or bad music taste?

I'd prefer it if a girl has an open mind to music.
Reply 5
Original post by hezzlington
I don't know what's worse, a complete lack of interest in music, or bad music taste?

I would say a bad taste, because you can always introduce them to music if they lack an interest.
Reply 6
So long as its not Justin Beiber, or anything from simon cowell's crap factor, I'm not bothered by what she listens to. Music isn't a big thing for me, just a bonus if we do have similar tastes.
I would say a bad taste, because you can always introduce them to music if they lack an interest.

...but they're not interested in music and therefore don't really care about what they listen to.

Where as somebody with bad taste...you can slowly, slowly change :colone:
Not that important.

I'm an artist and I appreciate all genres of music, you need to appreciate everything to be a well rounded creative individual imo.

If she likes dancing to the same music as me though that would be nice, but not necessary. I like dancing to EDM type stuff.

Would be cool to find a girl who wants to learn how waltz with me though because that's something I've always wanted to try, but with a girlfriend, not on my own lol.

Gets cool at 1:40 :biggrin:

Original post by hezzlington

Not being a close minded snob is the only important thing imo lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9

very
I have a very varied taste in music, so we're probably going to find some common ground. If she says she hates house music though then it's not gonna work.
Music plays a big part in my life. As someone who's gets judged on a lot for their music taste I have learnt to respect the type of music that other people like. I'm even open minded and will happily try to listen to music I wouldn't usually listen to.
If I had a boyfriend that likes the same/similar music as me then thats a bonus. But if he didn't then fair enough, just dont criticize something that someone else clearly enjoys.
Reply 12
Not at all. I'm open to quite a lot of different musical genres and I'd expect her to be the same. Music is a universal language
music is important to me but i wouldnt care at all what my partner likes.

thats pretty weird. so what if she doesn't like it? can't you just agree to disagree?
its only an issue if she hates it so much that she doesn't want you to listen to it but other than that i don't see why it should bother the other person so much. everyone has some different tastes to the person they are dating
Reply 15
Not particularly, ideally I'd want someone who's very open minded with varied tastes. I like everything really. Well, not every song, of course, but I mean there's no one genre I like above others and there's no one genre I can't find anything to like within.
It's not at all important to me. I don't really see what difference it would make. You're entering into a relationship with someone, not forming a band with them.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I have a very varied taste in music, so we're probably going to find some common ground. If she says she hates house music though then it's not gonna work.

preach
Music is so damn important. Girl Crush #15 told me she dislikes an artist I enjoy a lot, and I got Triggered™. I think its safe to say that she isn't Girl Crush #15 anymore.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by prazzyjazzy
Music is so damn important. Girl Crush #15 told me she dislikes an artist I enjoy a lot, and I got Triggered™. I think its safe to say that she isn't Girl Crush #15 anymore.

At least you have 14 more. :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending