The Student Room Group

Is law a useless degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by 999tigger
Untrue and you make the mistake that there are only top city firms.

I clearly said I'm talking about the top firms...
Original post by LisaNikita
There is no hate..? Why are you so confused wtf
judging by what everyone else has said they agree with me. Your attitude towards Law degree's is odd and bitter. There must be some reason for it if you look far enough inside yourself I'm pretty sure you'll find the answer.
Okay, but let's say you get a 1st from, I don't know, Bangor. Is that still worse than a 2:1 or 2:2 from a Russell Group?

Like the others, I wouldn't say it's the most employable anymore (although better outside of London), but it's not useless. Plenty do Law with no intention of becoming a lawyer, either.
STEM fields are the most employable these days, there's not a lot of difference between humanities afaik.
More supply, less demand. Law is useless. Simple

How do you equate this with being useless?

1. Many people get a very lucrative career from studying law. Its directly relevant in giving you the basic skills that are used in practice.

2. Not everyone chooses to go into the professions. They can still get jobs where law is directly relevant and useful Lots of the financial service firms value a law degree for the knowledge and legal skills.

3. People can then still use it like any other degree where the requirements are not job specific.

4. Its still useful in day to day life because legal problems crop up all the time, be it consumer, family, property, employment, wills or business.

The idea is that if you study it you do well and get one of the better jobs.

Is it true what others were saying and you were rejected?

What degree did you do btw/
(edited 7 years ago)
it's as useless as any other degree.. a.k.a depends what you spend your time doing whilst at uni. if you end up with nothing but a 2:1 and 0 social skills, cv content.. you are screwed.
Original post by dat goi
I clearly said I'm talking about the top firms...

Not everyone wants to or does in fact go to a top firm. There more to a legal career just in the magic circle. CC does blind interviewing.

One of the posters on here went to Bath and she is going MC

For those who dont go MC and enter the profession then it clearly wasnt useless to them..
I don't know how reliable this data is and it is outdated by a year, but it's apparently ranked 6th for employability behind most of the sciences: http://thetab.com/2015/09/23/how-employable-is-your-subject-54769
It was sarcasm @Inexorably

You say 'it was sarcasm' everytime somebody disagrees with you lol
Reply 48
Original post by Ibbyyyyy
You say 'it was sarcasm' everytime somebody disagrees with you lol

well done neurotypical you figured me out
Reply 49
Original post by Hxaler
Lmao not sure why but this thread made me think that you applied to read Law and did not get accepted, and so you are trying to make yourself feel better by having people tell you it is going to be a useless degree anyways.

This is why you shouldn't assume. I hate humanities true. I would rather study physics (quantum) or mathematics at university. Probably Engineering Science. I haven't applied to any course. I haven't even done A-levels. I just need confirmation that my beliefs are valid. Law is useless if you do not go to russell group. STEM is pretty much universal anywhere. kkthnxbai :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by 999tigger
How do you equate this with being useless?

1. Many people get a very lucrative career from studying law. Its directly relevant in giving you the basic skills that are used in practice.

2. Not everyone chooses to go into the professions. They can still get jobs where law is directly relevant and useful Lots of the financial service firms value a law degree for the knowledge and legal skills.

3. People can then still use it like any other degree where the requirements are not job specific.

4. Its still useful in day to day life because legal problems crop up all the time, be it consumer, family, property, employment, wills or business.

The idea is that if you study it you do well and get one of the better jobs.

Is it true what others were saying and you were rejected?

What degree did you do btw/

How many people who take law end up earning over 100,000 quid a year? Quite little compared the quarter of a million who decide to study it
This is why you shouldn't assume. I hate humanities true. I would rather study physics (quantum) or mathematics at university. Probably Engineering Science. I haven't applied to any course. I haven't even done A-levels. I just need confirmation that my beliefs are valid. Law is useless if you do not go to russell group. STEM is pretty much universal anywhere. kkthnxbai :smile:

STEM degrees from not very prestigious universities tend to still be sort of viable, that's true.

Humanities degrees overall from not very good unis tend to not be very useful (unless bolstered by plenty of extracurricular activities/achievements and personal skills). Likewise, as mentioned before: transferable skills.

It's not as clear cut as you would like to think it to be. That, and your apparent interpersonal skills would be why you should be glad you are not interested in a humanities degree.

If you havent even done A levels, then You really dont know a lot.
Your beliefs arent valid they are retarded.

Any degree that isn't a russell group/at a respectable uni will lose its value and utility. Saying that Law is useless is a bad degree because it's not at a good uni isnt an argument
Reply 54
Original post by Caius Filimon
STEM degrees from not very prestigious universities tend to still be sort of viable, that's true.

Humanities degrees overall from not very good unis tend to not be very useful (unless bolstered by plenty of extracurricular activities/achievements and personal skills). Likewise, as mentioned before: transferable skills.

It's not as clear cut as you would like to think it to be. That, and your apparent interpersonal skills would be why you should be glad you are not interested in a humanities degree.

I'm not good at working with people anyway. I come across as blunt (euphemism for rude)
ngl but what's the point of this thread
Reply 56
Original post by cherryblossoming
ngl but what's the point of this thread

Whats wrong with you? Its kind of obvious that this is a debate between two contrasting sides.
I just need confirmation that my beliefs are valid. Law is useless if you do not go to russell group.

No, it is not.

There is far more to life and the legal career than the Russell Group. :lol: If it is as useless as you would like to believe it is then how do graduates from varied universities, outside of this research group, manage to even land top graduate jobs?

Besides, is a law degree useless if it gets you a job outside of a London firm? Is it useless if it gets you top jobs in other sectors?
I'm not good at working with people anyway. I come across as blunt (euphemism for rude)

You should know that there's a difference in between coming across as crass/hostile and blunt.

But oh well, this is an online forum, so I take it that this is your chance to just not care.

But just beware that even the most brilliant scientists will rarely get anywhere in life (career or otherwise) without proper interpersonal skills.

All zhe best.
Whats wrong with you? Its kind of obvious that this is a debate between two contrasting sides.

yikes

I can see that but well - you seem to be coming across as ever so slightly passive aggressive

Also if you can question the usefulness of a law degree, surely I can question the usefulness of this thread

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending