The Student Room Group

Abusive's Road to Full A*

:mwuaha: Abusive's Journey to 12A* :mwuaha:

Hello everyone my name is Abusive this thread is more of a personal thing for myself to keep track of my progress and to motivate myself. I enjoy school and want to do well so that I can get into a decent college and then later on a good university.

GCSE Subjects

English Language

English Literature

Mathematics

Mathematics Numeracy

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

Electronics

Geography

ICT

Life after GCSE's and some information
After my GCSE's I wish to attend a Cardiff Sixth Form College. The fees to go there are really expensive so I am hoping to get a 100% scholarship, hence why I want the 12a*. I have already completed 4/12 of my GCSE's and got 4a* through hard work and determination. The 4 subjects were, Maths Numeracy, Maths, Statistics and Welsh 2nd Language (I'm half Welsh, although I don't have any Welsh speaking parents). I have sat 4 more GCSE's this January (Eng Lit, Biol 2, Phys 2, Chem 2), although I don't have a great feeling about them, whether that's because I did extremely well in maths and now I think I have to do that well in order to get an A* in other subjects, I'm not sure. Only time will tell. The results are released sometime in March and I'm really nervous.

In the summer I will be sitting a minimum of 12 exams. English Language Unit 2+3, English Literature Unit 2, Additional Maths Level 1/2, Geography Unit 1+2, Physics 3, Biology 3, Chemistry 3, Electronics, Welsh AS and ICT. Hopefully I won't have to resit any of the exams I did in January otherwise I will have 16 exams :O.

What I will be posting on this Blog.
On this blog I will be posting:

How daily revision went

My results

Thoughts about college

Interacting with anyone who comments

Also finally here is my revision timetable:

If you want to ask any questions feel free :elmo::suith:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Daily Review - Monday, 23rd January [Week 1]
Maths
Today I just made notes on some previous Additional Maths topics we had covered. I made notes on the rules of indices, rationalising the denominator, simultaneous equations with quadratics, algebraic fractions, some polynomial division and finally I ended with some coordinate geometry.
Biology
In Biology today I made notes on the topic Nervous System. I labelled the structure of an eye and made some concise notes about what each is. I made notes on what reflexes were and how their automatic/fast and offer protection. Then I made notes on the definitions of a stimulus/receptor/coordinator/effector/response/neurone. Finally for Biology I made a flowchart sort of thing for a reflex arc, how the stimulus is detected by the receptor, an impulse sent along the sensory neurone etc.
Chemistry
Finally in Chemistry I made notes on the topic Reversible Reactions, Industrial Processes and Important Chemicals. I investigated the Haber Process and how each resource is obtained, I explored what conditions were needed and what Ammonia was used for. Then I found out how ammonia is removed from the mixture, by cooling so it liquefies, also how having a low yield isn't that bad considering it the gases can be recycled. The last 2 things I did in Chemistry was how Nitric acid is made and also Sulphuric acid.
General Remarks
Today was quite a productive day, although I didn't have any notes for my ICT exam yet I'm sure they'll be coming soon once we've finished our controlled assessment. Also another positive for this day was that there was no homework :biggrin: Although I do have an English Language test tomorrow which I am going to try and do some preparation for, however I am not entirely sure how. If you have any tips please tell me:borat:.

23/01/17

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Wow - great predictions and current grades!

Also just want to commend you on your revision schedule as I did jack all when it came to my GCSEs

Good luck with getting into Cardiff Sixth Form! :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by cherryblossoming
Wow - great predictions and current grades!

Also just want to commend you on your revision schedule as I did jack all when it came to my GCSEs

Good luck with getting into Cardiff Sixth Form! :tongue:

Thanks for the luck :tongue: It's all good making a revision schedule, sticking to it is the hard part. I'm doing well so far though :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
What do you want to do at uni? :h:

Spoiler

I've been there done that, wasn't my original goal but getting all A*s definitely doable, stay determined friend

What will you take at A level?
Reply 6
What do you want to do at uni? :h:

Spoiler

I'm not 100% sure what I want to do at Uni yet, but I'm fairly certain what I want to do at college, which is Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry? What do you want to do at uni? Nevermind just checked your thread, Law, sound like a lot of work haha :biggrin:
Also I'll check out your GYG thread :h:
Halfway through reading it and
Want to lick Daniel Craig.
Comes up o.O

Original post by potassiumnitrate
I've been there done that, wasn't my original goal but getting all A*s definitely doable, stay determined friend

What will you take at A level?

Congratulations on the A*s, must of felt fantastic opening your results on results day. I want to do Chem/Phys/Maths/Further Maths at college, what did you take? :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Abusive
I'm not 100% sure what I want to do at Uni yet, but I'm fairly certain what I want to do at college, which is Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry? What do you want to do at uni? Nevermind just checked your thread, Law, sound like a lot of work haha :biggrin:
Also I'll check out your GYG thread :h:

That's cool - will definitely open up a lot of opportunities at uni :u:

Also yup I want to do law, though from my perspective Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry sounds like actual hell
Original post by Abusive

Congratulations on the A*s, must of felt fantastic opening your results on results day. I want to do Chem/Phys/Maths/Further Maths at college, what did you take? :tongue:

It was a pretty great feeling tbh. Although its bad but I would have been salty if I got below an A in anything. I do Maths further maths chemistry and physics, if you have any questions ask away.

To be honest though, GCSEs don't mean much (apart from your scholarship thing I guess) to most people and realistically the fact that I did well only added to the pressure and burden of A levels lol, and the expectation to do well. You have to remember, and I had to remind my parents, all A*s does not mean you're crazy intelligent, it means you are clever but you worked hard. Which I guess can be a really good thing too!
Abusive, how did you know what subjects to study on particular days, after school?
I am stuck on making a study schedule for particular subjects on each day. For example, tomorrow i have Physics, Media Studies and English Literature in school.
So what subjects would i revise today, for the subjects tomorrow?
Or, do i spend the hardest subjects on weekends, and the easiest ones less?
Feel free to share any ideas Thanks :u:
Reply 10
That's cool - will definitely open up a lot of opportunities at uni :u:

Also yup I want to do law, though from my perspective Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry sounds like actual hell

I enjoy the Maths and Sciences a lot more than any of the other subjects in my school, whether that's because I like the teachers or the subject I don't know. Guess I'll find out in college. :biggrin:
Original post by potassiumnitrate
It was a pretty great feeling tbh. Although its bad but I would have been salty if I got below an A in anything. I do Maths further maths chemistry and physics, if you have any questions ask away.

To be honest though, GCSEs don't mean much (apart from your scholarship thing I guess) to most people and realistically the fact that I did well only added to the pressure and burden of A levels lol, and the expectation to do well. You have to remember, and I had to remind my parents, all A*s does not mean you're crazy intelligent, it means you are clever but you worked hard. Which I guess can be a really good thing too!

Not going to lie I tend to get disappointed with myself if I ever get a low A (Geography) but I am going to resit in Summer this year and do a lot more preparation for it. I know getting all A* doesn't mean your crazy intelligent, and my parents don't seem to mind too much what I get as long as it's not abysmal. If you have a GYG thread I wouldn't mind reading it if you want to link it :smile:.

Original post by Batman2k1
Abusive, how did you know what subjects to study on particular days, after school?
I am stuck on making a study schedule for particular subjects on each day. For example, tomorrow i have Physics, Media Studies and English Literature in school.
So what subjects would i revise today, for the subjects tomorrow?
Or, do i spend the hardest subjects on weekends, and the easiest ones less?
Feel free to share any ideas Thanks :u:

Well when creating my revision timetable I just jumbled them up really making sure I got a fair share of all subjects. But I do make slight adjustments to it sometimes if I feel I need the extra boost in a certain subject. I will often sacrifice some revision time for doing some relaxing things to make sure I'm not doing too much too. Also recently I have only been drinking water rather than other drinks and it's actually had a surprisingly good effect on how long I am able to revise. Thanks for commenting :biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Abusive
Thank you Dark Energy for the title, sorry I should of asked you :frown:.

You've literally copied my exact format lol
Reply 12
Original post by DarkEnergy
You've literally copied my exact format lol

Sorry :afraid::sorry: I thought your layout looked really neat and professional, do you want me to link yours in my original post?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Daily Review - Tuesday, 24th January [Week 1]
English Literature
I spent an hour making notes on the Heroes novel by Robert Cornier today. I mainly did notes at the beginning of the chapter. I also read some of the pages of the guide for Heroes. Quite an enjoyable book, would recommend you reading it if you haven't already. It's quite a short read <2hours.
Chemistry
In chemistry I did the same notes from yesterday as we haven't been given the notes for the new topic yet :frown:. These are the equations I have learnt so far, also an excuse for me to try to get used to LaTex:
N2+3H22NH3[sub][/sub] N_2 + 3H_2\Leftrightarrow 2NH_3[sub] [/sub] The Haber Process
4NO2+O22H2O+4HNO3 4NO_2 + O_2 \Rightarrow 2H_2 O + 4HNO_3 Nitric Acid
Making Sulphuric Acid
2SO2+O22SO3 2SO_2 + O_2 \Leftrightarrow 2SO_3
SO3+H2OH2SO4 SO_3 + H_2 O \Rightarrow H_2 SO_4
Physics
In physics I have been going over the Electromagnetism unit. I learnt about magnetic fields with different magnets/wires/coils. I made some notes on the motor effect which is quite interesting. Also learned about the right hand grip rule for current and direction of the magnetic fields, I did some work on Fleming's left and right hand rules, First Finger - Field (Direction of Field). SeCond Finger - Current, ThuMb - Movement. Hoping we are going to cover generators and transformers in the lessons coming up this week.

General Remarks
Another good day, got all of the work which I wanted to complete done. No homework again today (That's 2 days in a row homework free :redface: ). The only negative was that we don't have the coursework for our electronics yet, but on the bright side I finished my controlled assessment (making the circuit part) last week and as of now it's fully functional! .

24/01/17
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Abusive
Sorry :afraid::sorry: I thought your layout looked really neat and professional, do you want me to link yours in my original post?

Haha was just joking mate, and thanks. You can if you want, no worries though.
Reply 15
Original post by DarkEnergy
Haha was just joking mate, and thanks. You can if you want, no worries though.

I've added you in a little spoiler at the bottom :tongue:
Reply 16
Ayyyyyyeeeee, I'll definitely be following this! Can't wait to see you ace these exams. Some people I know are also hoping for a scholarship to Cardiff Sixth Form College, I wish you the best of luck :biggrin:.

I tried making a GYG but it was such a mess, I abandoned it majorly oooops. Maybe I should start afresh, idk.

And woah I didn't know you were doing AS Welsh. I couldn't imagine doing the full GCSE, let alone an AS :eek:
Reply 17
Original post by Tombre
Ayyyyyyeeeee, I'll definitely be following this! Can't wait to see you ace these exams. Some people I know are also hoping for a scholarship to Cardiff Sixth Form College, I wish you the best of luck :biggrin:.

I tried making a GYG but it was such a mess, I abandoned it majorly oooops. Maybe I should start afresh, idk.

And woah I didn't know you were doing AS Welsh. I couldn't imagine doing the full GCSE, let alone an AS :eek:

Hopefully I'll ace them :smile:
You should restart your own GYG, would like to follow it :biggrin:
AS Level Welsh is a real struggle, quite a lot of work on top of everything already going on.
Reply 18
Daily Review - Wednesday, 25th January [Week 1]
Physics
In physics it was just another day of doing electromagnetism, so quite boring. However we are starting our second topic soon so I look forward to it. Also got 40/44 on a test we did within class. Would of been 43/44 but I forgot the word increase in front of 3 of my answers o.o.
Geography
Geography today was a lot of diagram drawing and writing down the meaning of some of the coastal processes. I didn't manage to get onto making notes about coastal management, hoping to do that on Sunday when I revise Geography next. Also quite excited considering I bought myself a revision guide for Geography.
English Language
In English Language I'm just finishing up on a past paper which I was halfway through completing last time. The past papers I've done so far don't seem all that challenging although I feel for some of the marks you have to make sure you dont misinterperate the question. Also I try to do a paragraph of overiview at the end of most of my extended writing questions now too.
General Remarks
Today was another good day, although I didn't get much sleep, I am starting to remember and embed some of the key knowledge from some of my subjects. The result I got back today was fairly good. Also a 3rd day without homework! If you have any questions feel free to ask me :biggrin:. .

25/01/17
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Abusive
Hopefully I'll ace them :smile:
You should restart your own GYG, would like to follow it :biggrin:
AS Level Welsh is a real struggle, quite a lot of work on top of everything already going on.

I decided to restart it :smile:

AS Welsh sounds dreadful to me, but I'm sure you will do absolutely great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending