The Student Room Group

Is law a useless degree?

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't say useless because if you don't get into law you can still do different things with it however Ill say its extremely over saturated.
Its one of the degrees people pick because they don't know that they're doing and know that lawyers tend to earn a lot of money.
Original post by LisaNikita
How many people who take law end up earning over 100,000 quid a year? Quite little compared the quarter of a million who decide to study it

Care to provuide your source?

Your definition of useless is anyone who earns less than £100,000 pa? That for all subjects including Stem?

You started off saying law degrees are useless and have now changed it to non RG law degrees which is completely different.
Original post by LisaNikita
More supply, less demand. Law is useless. Simple

That doesn't work for degrees. All degrees has more supplies than demands (except medicine and nursing etc). Are you saying all science degrees is useless because there are too many PhD holders but very very few academic positions?
Original post by Kravence
Its one of the degrees people pick because they don't know that they're doing and know that lawyers tend to earn a lot of money.

Do you not think it's partly because humanities suffer from an unclear career path and Law is more vocational?
Original post by SkyRees
Do you not think it's partly because humanities suffer from an unclear career path and Law is more vocational?

Law at university is academic not vocational.
Look, this thread is stupid I mean its hardly a useless degree, obviously i will seem bais seeing as I have applied to do law in September myself but I wish to be a solicitor at the end of it. Solicitors can potentially earn lots of money. Don't see whats useless about that....
Original post by SkyRees

Possibly, I'm not 100% sure
Original post by tehforum

Exactly, far from vocational..
Original post by tehforum

Ah, my bad. Had considered it vocational assuming Law undergrad teaches one the art of lawyering.

Fair, I guess it's not easy to tell. FWIW I'm stuck choosing between Integrated Masters History and Law with History, so might be bias on my part.
Law is quite clearly not a useless degree. If anything I would put it up there with the most useful degrees. Certainly, if you discount law as useless, you are saying that almost all arts/humanities are useless which is bigoted and arrogant.

I saw someone said Oxbridge is the only place worth getting a law degree, and I felt like I should acknowledge this misinformation for anyone considering a career in law.
This graph was created by chambers student, it can easily be found on google with a quick search:
http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1345/trainee-university-backgrounds-all-firms-2.png?width=678px&height=584px

All Russell Groups and beyond are represented. The data was also collected from the top firms in London, including the 'magic circle'. The Bar is more educationally elitist, but even so going to Oxbridge is not a prerequisite. You can find similar data all over the internet. Admittedly, the university you go to is very important in law, as it is a competitive industry and the quality of teaching and students at different universities will of course vary.

I also saw someone state few lawyers end up earning 6 figures. Inside London, this is also utter rubbish, although it may be true for regional firms. Although anecdotal, my sibling is a Nottingham graduate (2.1). They became newly qualified last year and earn 6 figures. That's after 2 years of training, where they were earning ~50,000. So within 3 years of graduating, they have reached 6 figures. Few firms do pay NQs such money, but many are around ~80,000 including the Magic Circle.
However, I will say that you shouldn't get caught up in salaries. My sibling's friend ended up working for a small, niche firm in London which paid ~60,000 to NQs. However, they work far fewer hours and the atmosphere of the firm is far more relaxed and friendly. Money is not everything.
Edit: I should mention again that the data shown is for top London firms. They are notoriously competitive, hence the strong RG presence. Outside of London, you will find every UK university represented.
(edited 7 years ago)

You clearly NEED to research your facts as to what a law degree consists of and that is a heck of a lot of exams so...don't think its vocational some how
Original post by Oddwatermelon
Law is quite clearly not a useless degree. If anything I would put it up there with the most useful degrees. Certainly, if you discount law as useless, you are saying that almost all arts/humanities are useless which is bigoted and arrogant.

I saw someone said Oxbridge is the only place worth getting a law degree, and I felt like I should acknowledge this misinformation for anyone considering a career in law.
This graph was created by chambers student, it can easily be found on google with a quick search:
http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1345/trainee-university-backgrounds-all-firms-2.png?width=678px&height=584px

All Russell Groups and beyond are represented. The data was also collected from the top firms in London, including the 'magic circle'. The Bar is more educationally elitist, but even so going to Oxbridge is not a prerequisite. You can find similar data all over the internet. Admittedly, the university you go to is very important in law, as it is a competitive industry and the quality of teaching and students at different universities will of course vary.

I also saw someone state few lawyers end up earning 6 figures. Inside London, this is also utter rubbish, although it may be true for regional firms. Although anecdotal, my sibling is a Nottingham graduate (2.1). They became newly qualified last year and earn 6 figures. That's after 2 years of training, where they were earning ~50,000. So within 3 years of graduating, they have reached 6 figures. Few firms do pay NQs such money, but many are around ~80,000 including the Magic Circle.
However, I will say that you shouldn't get caught up in salaries. My sibling's friend ended up working for a small, niche firm in London which paid ~60,000 to NQs. However, they work far fewer hours and the atmosphere of the firm is far more relaxed and friendly. Money is not everything.

FINALLY, some sense
Original post by Rachaiec
You clearly NEED to research your facts as to what a law degree consists of and that is a heck of a lot of exams so...don't think its vocational some how

What part of "I'm not 100% sure" do you not understand?
What part of "I'm not 100% sure" do you not understand?

well, it would be appreciated if you were 100% sure on your facts before you talk utter rubbish on here...
well, it would be appreciated if you were 100% sure on your facts before you talk utter rubbish on here...

Nvm, just saw that you study law.

Somehow I hurt your feelings even though I also said law isn't a useless degree
lol
get lost
Nvm, just saw that you study law.

Somehow I hurt your feelings even though I also said law isn't a useless degree
lol
get lost

You didn't hurt my feelings, its the lack of intelligence I hate
Reply 76
Look, this thread is stupid I mean its hardly a useless degree, obviously i will seem bais seeing as I have applied to do law in September myself but I wish to be a solicitor at the end of it. Solicitors can potentially earn lots of money. Don't see whats useless about that....

Triggered. You chose law to not become a lawyer but a solicitor.
LOVETHISSS.jpg"Law is useless and I feel better feeling superio-"

Lacking how? I stated that I didn't know, you're arguing with the wrong person lol
Reply 79

And you are so intelligent how? I'm doing AS Maths in year 10. I'm not good in any humanity subjects but I manage. And I wouldn't be too quick to start calling myself intelligent on a forum😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending