The Student Room Group

Got creeped out by a guy the library today

So I went to the library today just to pass the time and I was sitting there reading, minding my own business when this dodgy looking man comes up to me and asks if i know what time the library closes. I thought he genuinely wanted to know so I told him it closes at eight. But then he asks me if the book im reading is any good (Harry potter and the cursed child). Not wishing to engage in further conversation, i tell him yes and return to by book. Then he asks if the other harry potter books are good, and I say yes they are, trying to make myself quite clear that I wish to be alone, at which point he goes away.
I'm just surprised and slightly disturbed at the desperate measures guys will resort to with complete strangers just to get the attention of someone from the opposite sex. I'm not even remotely attractive, and if this happens again I intend to make myself quite clear and say that I just wish to read my book in peace.
It was just a bit pathetic and creepy really and it ruined my inner peace just a little bit. Not a lot, just a bit. I shouldnt have to endure that. And in a library too, of all places.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Don't know about you but it sounds like a slightly more outgoing person is asking whether a series of books is good or not.

Of course, words are only part of this, what was his tone of voice like?
Maye they're just being friendly? He's probably just loud in general and doesnt get that you have to be quiet in a library
Let's get real, there was only one issue here, and it wasn't anything to do with the library.

You didn't fancy the dude; ergo he's creepy and desperate.

If it had been Benedict coming up to you in the library, presumably it would be a whirlwind of romance, and just the thing you'd expect from a sensitive, intellectual man- rather than the tacky experience of a horrid club or bar.
Reply 4
Sounds like he was just trying to be friendly, I understand personal space although give the guy a break he probably genuinly wanted to know the answers to the questions he was asking.
Original post by 152mmOfDerp
Don't know about you but it sounds like a slightly more outgoing person is asking whether a series of books is good or not.

Of course, words are only part of this, what was his tone of voice like?

He was foreign so I couldn't really understand what he was saying, i had to ask him to repeat himself a few times.
I can't imagine he was really interested in harry potter. I thought in a library I'd be safe from 'outgoing' people.
A post I made on another thread earlier is totally relevant to this thread.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4523642#post69736080
'Blame a guy for trying' :wink:

In all seriousness though, he shouldn't have come up to you begging the conversation like that. We can all tell he's not gonna go off and start the Harry Potter series and is genuinely interested in what you're reading. He might've just wanted to start up a chat but since you made it clear you wanted to be left in peace, I respect the fact that he actually did leave you alone.

But I get why you were a little flustered by that. It'd be on my mind too if it happened to me - I wouldn't be able to get back to my book peacefully (I'm too paranoid :s-smilie:)

*Big-up fellow HP fan :emo: :thumbsup: How's Cursed Child coming along? I've heard that you have to appreciate it as a play and not in the same way as a novel - the acting brings it to life, as it does with other plays and good actors :smile:
Original post by Trinculo
Let's get real, there was only one issue here, and it wasn't anything to do with the library.

You didn't fancy the dude; ergo he's creepy and desperate.

If it had been Benedict coming up to you in the library, presumably it would be a whirlwind of romance, and just the thing you'd expect from a sensitive, intellectual man- rather than the tacky experience of a horrid club or bar.

I was expecting a least one post like this. Has it ever occurred to you that some women might just want to go about their daily business in peace? Besides which im celibate so I wouldnt have wanted to talk to him even if he looked like Ryan gosling.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sherlockfan
I was expecting a least one post like this. Has it ever occurred to you that some women might just want to go about their daily business in peace? Besides which im celibate so I wouldnt have wanted to talk to him even if he looked like Ryan gosling.

You certainly wouldnt have called him creepy if he was Ryan Gosling. You'd have been flattered.
Guy talks to girl about books.

In a library.

Call the ****ing police
So I went to the library today just to pass the time and I was sitting there reading, minding my own business when this dodgy looking man comes up to me and asks if i know what time the library closes. I thought he genuinely wanted to know so I told him it closes at eight. But then he asks me if the book im reading is any good (Harry potter and the cursed child). Not wishing to engage in further conversation, i tell him yes and return to by book. Then he asks if the other harry potter books are good, and I say yes they are, trying to make myself quite clear that I wish to be alone, at which point he goes away.
I'm just surprised and slightly disturbed at the desperate measures guys will resort to with complete strangers just to get the attention of someone from the opposite sex. I'm not even remotely attractive, and if this happens again I intend to make myself quite clear and say that I just wish to read my book in peace.
It was just a bit pathetic and creepy really and it ruined my inner peace just a little bit. Not a lot, just a bit. I shouldnt have to endure that. And in a library too, of all places.

This isn't unusual behavior because
1. just because you think you're unattractive doesn't mean he thinks the same lol
2. people have recommended guys to go up to girls in the library for some reason. probably because you can't run away
Original post by BrainyBengali
'Blame a guy for trying' :wink:

In all seriousness though, he shouldn't have come up to you begging the conversation like that. We can all tell he's not gonna go off and start the Harry Potter series and is genuinely interested in what you're reading. He might've just wanted to start up a chat but since you made it clear you wanted to be left in peace, I respect the fact that he actually did leave you alone.

But I get why you were a little flustered by that. It'd be on my mind too if it happened to me - I wouldn't be able to get back to my book peacefully (I'm too paranoid :s-smilie:)

*Big-up fellow HP fan :emo: :thumbsup: How's Cursed Child coming along? I've heard that you have to appreciate it as a play and not in the same way as a novel - the acting brings it to life, as it does with other plays and good actors :smile:

Hey, I'm not too sure how I feel about the play at the moment, there are some exciting discoveries but overall it reads a bit like a piece of fan fiction. It doesn't feel like jk Rowling, and the play is actually written by Jack Thorne.
I'd love to see it on stage of course but that's not likely to ever happen. :/ I'm sure it comes to life very well.
Original post by DonaldTrump12
Guy talks to girl about books.

In a library.

Call the ****ing police

No need to be so rude.

I'm just surprised and slightly disturbed at the desperate measures guys will resort to with complete strangers just to get the attention of someone from the opposite sex.

Asks about Harry Potter books respectfully, to someone who happens to be of female sex:

desperate measures

LOL :rofl:
Original post by am yisrael chai
The only pathetic thing is your need to create this thread because someone asked you a few questions.

I've seen threads made about more trivial issues. If you don't like it, get out.
No need to be so rude.

You mean like your thread bashing a guy as creepy just for trying to be social? Is it any surprise mental health issues in this country are so high when people can't even talk to local people about a book in the library without being ostracized? I always talk to old people, not everyone has a buzzing social life or high self esteem.
Reply 17
Oh lord... no
Reply 18
Who hasn't read Harry Potter tho
Oh yeah. because all men are evil pigs and automatically want to hit on/have sex with you. There's no chance that he just wanted to make conversation with you.
Oh and by the way your post makes you sound pretentious and entitled.

Latest

Trending

Trending