The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE results good enough for a Russell Group uni ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by drriversong
I got 4 A* at GCSE and now hold an oxford offer for history- anything is possible :h:

If you don't mind what other grades did you get ? :smile:
4 A*s yet you lack common sense. Read the entry requirements for what course you want to do.
2C's? No. There are 3000 applicants for 150 places.
Original post by Carthaginian
4 A*s yet you lack common sense. Read the entry requirements for what course you want to do.

omg stop
I got 4 A* at GCSE and now hold an oxford offer for history- anything is possible :h:

I got 1 B at GCSE and have an offer from 5 russell group unis

tl'dr yes it's possible and you probably know this already
Original post by LisaNikita
omg stop

???
Original post by skye99
If you don't mind what other grades did you get ? :smile:

4 A* 6 A (I didn't even get an A* in the subject I wanted to study). With your grades you will get into a RG as long as you do well in your AS and have a good PS. Remember RGs aren't everything, Bath and St Andrews aren't RGs yet they dominate league tables
Original post by auburnstar
I got 1 B at GCSE and have an offer from 5 russell group unis

tl'dr yes it's possible and you probably know this already

Exactly. People with all Cs get offers from RGs. AS levels/ A-level predictions are way more important imo
Reply 28
Troll

Original post by skye99
History - A*
French - A*
English Language - A*
Philosophy and Ethics - A*
English lit - A
Geography - A
Maths - A
Physics - B
Chemistry - B
Biology - C
Drama - C
Original post by ByronicHero
I only passed 3 GCSEs and received offers from a bunch of Russel Group universities. No problem :h:

If you don't mind me asking, which ones?
'Russell Group' doesn't suggest anything about how competitive a University is, a lot of them are really easy to get into for anyone with common sense and predicted anything above Bs which means they rarely look to GCSEs for guidance unless perhaps for Law or Medicine.

Regardless, your grades are obviously good. Might just struggle with somewhere like Oxbridge/LSE (though they're not at all ruled out).
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
'Russell Group' doesn't suggest anything about how competitive a University is, a lot of them are really easy to get into for anyone with common sense and predicted anything above Bs which means they rarely look to GCSEs for guidance unless perhaps for Law or Medicine.

Regardless, your grades are obviously good. Might just struggle with somewhere like Oxbridge/LSE (though they're not at all ruled out).

Yeah that's true. If you can get C's at GCSE's then you can be accepted in Russell Group universities.
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
'Russell Group' doesn't suggest anything about how competitive a University is

Oxbridge
Russell Group
Ex-Polys
Higher Education Colleges

In terms of difficulty of getting in
Original post by skye99
History - A*
French - A*
English Language - A*
Philosophy and Ethics - A*
English lit - A
Geography - A
Maths - A
Physics - B
Chemistry - B
Biology - C
Drama - C

Oh go away. Mr Oxbridge!

They're really good
Yes, they are fine.

What did you get at A level?
Why do you require validation from your peers? If you meet the entry requirements for your course then go ahead and apply, there's no harm in doing so!
Original post by Alicezworld
What did you get at A level?

I haven't done my A-levels yet but if you're referring to my AS grades, I got 4 As. All due to sheer work as opposed to talent. If the OP works hard then he/she will find that most doors will open to her
I love watching egos collide in the GCSE Forum part of TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest