The Student Room Group

Oxbridge 2018 Reapplicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lauraexplorer
Course: bionatsci
I would love to have a gap year and I have so many ideas but I also don't want to sign myself up for another round of torture!!

This is a fair thought but I did ask Christ's admissions about this and they said anecdotally it's quite/fairly common for reapplicants to be successful - usually because they've sat their exams and are confident with their grades and obviously have more practice/familiarity. Not a guarantee by any means of course, but reassuring that it's not a failed endeavor.
Original post by auburnstar
This is a fair thought but I did ask Christ's admissions about this and they said anecdotally it's quite/fairly common for reapplicants to be successful - usually because they've sat their exams and are confident with their grades and obviously have more practice/familiarity. Not a guarantee by any means of course, but reassuring that it's not a failed endeavor.

That's good to know! I think I'm just gonna see how my A-levels go and take it from there, I think I might go ahead planning on going to York then take a last minute gap year if my results turn out well then hope for the best
Reply 42
Original post by poppyb787
That's brave, if you get rejected they'll send your letter to someone else :laugh:
Seriously though, I found Hertford a lovely environment while I was there for interview. Best of luck!

Thanks! Which subject did you apply for at Hertford? Since I've been in the Cambridge world for ages up until now, is Hertford known to be one of the more competitive colleges or? Good luck with the rest of your universities for this admissions cycle and for next year if you reapply!
Original post by zee35
Thanks! Which subject did you apply for at Hertford? Since I've been in the Cambridge world for ages up until now, is Hertford known to be one of the more competitive colleges or? Good luck with the rest of your universities for this admissions cycle and for next year if you reapply!

Technically Oxford doesn't have a more competitive college since you are automatically considered by all colleges before being rejected... the pooling system doesn't work in the same way, as the tutors send candidates to other colleges during interviews if they're good ^^
Original post by zee35

I applied for medicine. Like someone else said, colleges are no more or less competitive than others. Speaking from my experience, my application was handled centrally by the MedSci department as opposed to by a college. I was allocated to two colleges for interview (fortunately one was my college of choice, Hertford, where I was also accommodated). The reason you're allocated two colleges is so you can be fairly assessed by multiple medicine tutors and you're interviewed blind to your college choice. After interview it's revealed where you applied and I think then your choice of college gets first choice if they want you or not, but you may be offered a place by the other college, made an open offer, or made an offer from a college you might not even know exists!
Thanks - I was only looking to reapply if I didn't get in to medicine this year but I've now received an offer to study at the University of Birmingham so I shan't be seeing you at interview!
Best of luck
I will not be reapplying next year, but this cycle has been loads of fun with you guys. I recognise all your usernames though, and am absolutely gutted for all of you who didn't make it (maybe even more so than I am for myself!) Anyway I'm just here to wish you all the very best of luck in reapplying, as I know lots of people who got lucky the second time round. Even if you don't end up reapplying - either way, I'm sure it'll all work out fine :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi folks,I recieved feedback today from my application to study Maths and CompSci at St. John's. Here's what I recieved (beyond the usual preamble of "places are competitive", etc.):

* For Maths and Joint Subjects, there were 141 applications to St. John's, and 20 offers in total (11 at St. John's, 9 at other colleges). I didn't know anyone who got an offer, incidentally.
* For the MAT, my mark was 70/100 (slightly below the average of 73.5 for Maths and CS), and my overall ranking (for my version of the MAT, for Maths and CS only) was 46/306 (there were 42 Maths and CS offers in total).
* For the interviews, my average score was 6.61/9.
* For my overall application, my score was 7 out of 9, and offers were made to everyone who got an 8 or a 9 (this doesn't specify, however, if some people who got 7 got an offer as well).

Overall, I'm very encouraged by the feedback. My MAT was a little bit lower than I expected (by a couple of marks at most), but overall I think it was very close. As of now, unless there are any barriers (e.g not getting AAB, funding issues, or other such problems), I think reapplying is a very real possibility.

Again, good luck to anyone who's considering reapplying. If you do end up reapplying, I hope that the extra year of experience will be helpful for you (even if you don't get in), and for those who don't end up reapplying I wish you all the best for the future.
Original post by lewman99
Hi folks,I recieved feedback today from my application to study Maths and CompSci at St. John's. Here's what I recieved (beyond the usual preamble of "places are competitive", etc.):

* For Maths and Joint Subjects, there were 141 applications to St. John's, and 20 offers in total (11 at St. John's, 9 at other colleges). I didn't know anyone who got an offer, incidentally.
* For the MAT, my mark was 70/100 (slightly below the average of 73.5 for Maths and CS), and my overall ranking (for my version of the MAT, for Maths and CS only) was 46/306 (there were 42 Maths and CS offers in total).
* For the interviews, my average score was 6.61/9.
* For my overall application, my score was 7 out of 9, and offers were made to everyone who got an 8 or a 9 (this doesn't specify, however, if some people who got 7 got an offer as well).

Overall, I'm very encouraged by the feedback. My MAT was a little bit lower than I expected (by a couple of marks at most), but overall I think it was very close. As of now, unless there are any barriers (e.g not getting AAB, funding issues, or other such problems), I think reapplying is a very real possibility.

Again, good luck to anyone who's considering reapplying. If you do end up reapplying, I hope that the extra year of experience will be helpful for you (even if you don't get in), and for those who don't end up reapplying I wish you all the best for the future.

Gosh that does close indeed! I wish I had feedback as detailed as that :redface: Unfortunately I can only go off of speculation but luckily I know where I messed up in interview + having AABB at AS. However I have no idea if I was a close call or not. Given 40% of music applicants are successful however I don't think my chances are bad. xDD

Can I ask why you need AAB? I thought the standard offer for Maths was A*AA?
Gosh that does close indeed! I wish I had feedback as detailed as that :redface: Unfortunately I can only go off of speculation but luckily I know where I messed up in interview + having AABB at AS. However I have no idea if I was a close call or not. Given 40% of music applicants are successful however I don't think my chances are bad. xDD

Can I ask why you need AAB? I thought the standard offer for Maths was A*AA?

Damn, not getting feedback is pretty rough. Maybe they send it to your reference?

The offer for AAB's because I'm sitting Advanced Highers rather than A-Levels, and they're apparently seen as more difficult for whatever reason (which to be honest is fine by me :redface:).
Original post by lewman99
Damn, not getting feedback is pretty rough. Maybe they send it to your reference?

The offer for AAB's because I'm sitting Advanced Highers rather than A-Levels, and they're apparently seen as more difficult for whatever reason (which to be honest is fine by me :redface:).

Probably not tbh they said 'can't give individual feedback on your application' which is really unusual (I think it is probably one of only a very few colleges to do so - just my luck xD).

Fair enough! I'm used to always thinking I need to get A*A*A*A or A*A*AA (although technically the entrance requirement is AAA but the more A* the better) so when I see AAB I'm like damn that's low. xD But yea Advanced Highers are more difficult bc I think it's in one year rather than two like A level?
Reply 50
The feedback I got was really vague... Can I ask again for more specific (for example if my grades were ok or whatever) or should I just be happy they didn't totally roast me? They did mention it's challenging to compare students from different schooling systems so I'm worried they're not fans of the swedish system.
Hey, did you all ask for feedback or did your UCAS referee receive it automatically? My rejection letter promised that the college will send feedback to my referee within a few weeks, and I know it's only been a mere 2 weeks, but many applicants have clearly received feedback and I have yet to! Do you think I should email the college asking for feedback to be sent to me, or wait it out in hopes of my referee receiving something? :smile:
Reply 52
Course:Bio NatSci
College: Gonville and Caius
Ox or Cam:Cam
Interviewed? (yes/no): Yes
Feedback?: Not even a reply to my feedback request
School type: State, state
GCSE: 3 A*, 6A, 1C
AS: AAAA (Bio, Maths, Physics, Chem)
A2 predictions: A*A* (Bio, Chem) AA
Other qualification (eg IB, AP, etc): Nuh-uh
Strengths: Nuffield project, Sutton Trust summer school, flag-king
Weaknesses: Some nerves, I forgot stuff I was 100% sure about like my project and CO-Hb interactions. I also don't think I came across as that passionate and didn't answer some simple questions.
What you aim to work on: surety in the interview and wider reading teraterial.
What your plans are: If I get at least 2A*s. take a gap year, do some work, build up cash money and go onawrds and upwards
Original post by saes
The feedback I got was really vague... Can I ask again for more specific (for example if my grades were ok or whatever) or should I just be happy they didn't totally roast me? They did mention it's challenging to compare students from different schooling systems so I'm worried they're not fans of the swedish system.

Feedback is usually pretty vague tbh. You can ask but I wouldn't expect anything. @The_Lonely_Goatherd mentioned there was this one tutor who 'character assassinated' someone in the feedback but he has since left Oxford. Some colleges (as I've learned) are better about this than others, as are different admissions tutors.

Do you remember anything about the interviews at all? Were there any moments of awkward silence, interviewers writing something down or them looking bored/away? It's really hard to tell but you might be able to infer some things, even if self-evaluation is notoriously hard.
Original post by h3rmit
build up cash money

don't we all wish this xD
Reply 55
Feedback is usually pretty vague tbh. You can ask but I wouldn't expect anything. @The_Lonely_Goatherd mentioned there was this one tutor who 'character assassinated' someone in the feedback but he has since left Oxford. Some colleges (as I've learned) are better about this than others, as are different admissions tutors.

Do you remember anything about the interviews at all? Were there any moments of awkward silence, interviewers writing something down or them looking bored/away? It's really hard to tell but you might be able to infer some things, even if self-evaluation is notoriously hard.

I was rejected pre-interviews.. Which I guess is a bad sign. But it's also why I'm reapplying. I know my PS sucked and I want to show them (and myself, mainly) I can do better
Original post by saes
I was rejected pre-interviews.. Which I guess is a bad sign. But it's also why I'm reapplying. I know my PS sucked and I want to show them (and myself, mainly) I can do better

If it's pre-interview and no admissions test it was probably your grades rather than PS. Iirc you didn't have any standardised exams (eg AS level, GCSE, AP test, IB) and just had predictions? This would make it harder for them to be able to assess your level of academic ability so to speak. They don't really look at the PS much unless it is appallingly awful (ie "I went on a gap year to look at girls on beaches in Hawaii" type *******s), especially not for the sciences.

And yes, you can improve!!! motivation ~!! good luck!! :biggrin:
Reply 57
If it's pre-interview and no admissions test it was probably your grades rather than PS. Iirc you didn't have any standardised exams (eg AS level, GCSE, AP test, IB) and just had predictions? This would make it harder for them to be able to assess your level of academic ability so to speak. They don't really look at the PS much unless it is appallingly awful (ie "I went on a gap year to look at girls on beaches in Hawaii" type *******s), especially not for the sciences.

And yes, you can improve!!! motivation ~!! good luck!! :biggrin:

The thing is, I have near perfect grades.12 A's and 4 B's. We have "courses" and when you finish a course you get a grade and can take the next one (if there is one) - for example Biology 1 and then you take Biology 2. So the grades are already decided, apart from the courses I'm taking now. The only one I'm unsure about is my B in chem.. However, my reference was from my chem teacher and he was really nice about it - but I guess they don't make that connection while looking at the grades. My reference could not provide predicted grades bc we were so early in the term. I'm taking Chemistry 2 now and currently on an A, so I guess if I can keep that up I might have a better chance. All there is about the swedish system on their website is "A or B in the majority of relevant subjects"
Original post by saes
The thing is, I have near perfect grades.12 A's and 4 B's. We have "courses" and when you finish a course you get a grade and can take the next one (if there is one) - for example Biology 1 and then you take Biology 2. So the grades are already decided, apart from the courses I'm taking now. The only one I'm unsure about is my B in chem.. However, my reference was from my chem teacher and he was really nice about it - but I guess they don't make that connection while looking at the grades. My reference could not provide predicted grades bc we were so early in the term. I'm taking Chemistry 2 now and currently on an A, so I guess if I can keep that up I might have a better chance. All there is about the swedish system on their website is "A or B in the majority of relevant subjects"

That's odd. There's no admissions test for bio so afaik it's just grades as interview selection. The lack of predicted grades could have been an issue, but not enough to deselect you I suspect. With no admissions test or submitted work, it must have been related to grades/lack of predictions/PS. Your school's reference wasn't particularly poor/bad quality, was it?

Times like this make me wish they had transparent detailed feedback. xD
Hi, I've got a quick question for @fablereader (I tried to tag you earlier but it didn't work for whatever reason). If I reapply next year, I'm considering choosing Merton. How was it when you were there for interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending