The Student Room Group

My Journey to AAAA (and ultimately Oxford)

Hi guys! :tongue:

I know I'm quite late in joining the party (:yeah:) but in my defence I only regained some motivation quite recently (this may or may not be linked to the fact that I can't find anything good on Netflix)

I am doing this for the first time and kinda sceptical about a thread focused solely on me but I'm also excited af, really think this will help me! I'm pretty sure my friends have had enough of me letting them know every single piece of revision I've done via Snapchat anyways lmao

I aspire to study Law at Oxford ultimately, but I guess we'll see where life takes me (on a related note I do feel free will is very limited and that fate is largely written solely due to the domino-like effect of events but I guess there's no need to dwell too much on that when working my ass off).

Some academic info about me:

Spoiler

Interests

Spoiler

Mocks:

Spoiler

So that's that! Won't be posting any pictures because im too lazy (woops) but I do aim to update this thread quite a lot with revision and other progress at school. Hopefully this thread will motivate myself enough to get those 4 As. :redface:

Also if anyone else is aspiring to study law, or study at Oxford (or just wants to say hi :biggrin:) please do leave a comment!

:007:

Song of the Week: Afraid by the Neighbourhood

Emoticon of the Week: :congrats:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hellooo
Hope you get the 4as , I'll be following ur journey!
Good luck :smile:
Original post by happiness12
Hellooo
Hope you get the 4as , I'll be following ur journey!
Good luck :smile:

Thank you so much!

I see from your profile that you're currently doing your GCSEs - how are they going? :h:
Reply 3
Good luck with all your AS and getting the 4A's. I'm sure you'll do it if you spend more time off snapchat and more time revising :mob: jk :smile:.
Also other than Oxford what other universities would you like to go to?
Ayyyy Ima follow your journey! Good luck!
Original post by Abusive
Good luck with all your AS and getting the 4A's. I'm sure you'll do it if you spend more time off snapchat and more time revising :mob: jk :smile:.
Also other than Oxford what other universities would you like to go to?

Lmao yeah - usually I'll have my phone on my desk all the time but I've started to keep it in a kitchen drawer, or just not charge it when it dies, and it's honestly liberating :tongue:

As for other unis, I'd like to go to UCL, LSE, or KCL. I'm thinking perhaps about QMUL as well. Honestly though I'm probably reaching too high - if I get a B at A2 I won't be meeting any offers from the aforementioned unis. I'm not really sure of what unis to apply to that have slightly lower offers though :s-smilie:

Original post by mark252623
Ayyyy Ima follow your journey! Good luck!

Thanks! Are you doing A-Levels as well? :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

23/01/17

I think today was a good day in terms of getting work done. I did get an extra free period since my history lesson got cancelled so that was helpful :tongue:

At school:

I revised key dates for the first section of the Modern Britain unit for History. Did this through Quizlet which is a godsend (says the atheist :tongue:)

I also planned a 25 marker on Russia using one of the example questions from the textbook. We haven't actually started Russia yet so I just did a question on Chapter 1, which was part of the prepwork. (I only did this because my absent teacher told us to in his email; I really should start to plan practice 25 markers for my own revision. . .)

I checked up on the dates for the open days for Oxford, LSE and UCL (because a day doesn't come into existence until you've procrastinated)

There was a 'Leaders of Learning' meeting at lunch for French, where theoretically the leaders of learning wait for other students who need help to come along. In reality no actual students in need of help came, so we revised some grammar (the subjunctive) and just started to get to know the A2 students leading the meeting :biggrin: After realising that we didn't really know how we're going to be assessed on the film part of the exam, we decided to find that out for next week's meeting and then do some revision on the film (which is Entre les Murs)

At home:

I prepared this week's stimulus card for my French speaking practice tomorrow with my teacher (which is weekly).

I did my maths homework - which was C2 homework on maximum and minimum points. Was a bit stumped on how to prove f(x) was an increasing function; I understand it's when the gradient is positive but wasn't quite sure how to show that. :redface:

I did a couple of pages reading of Small Island for tomorrow's English Lit lesson. I'm about to annotate these pages now vaguely with any analysis I can pick up on atm

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cherryblossoming

Thanks! Are you doing A-Levels as well? :biggrin:

Well... Nope, year 11... Attempting to pay attention to my GCSEs (:

Is your dream to be a big shot lawyer then? (good dream if so)
You're doing History and French like me as well - we are also studying Entre les murs for the French film. Are you on AQA? I'm really enjoying A Level French atm and think it's way more interesting than GCSE was :tongue:
Reply 9
Good luck! I had the same ambitions as you and with that right attitude I ended up getting 4 As at AS as well! I currently hold my dream offer to UCL and am predicted 3 A*s (although that's v ambitious!!). Wish you all the luck, all of those unis are v hard to get into! Also don't worry about mocks, I just scraped 4 As as well and got 90%+ in all my real exams at the end of the year - just be persistent!
Well... Nope, year 11... Attempting to pay attention to my GCSEs (:

Is your dream to be a big shot lawyer then? (good dream if so)

Ah - good luck! Any idea what you want to do at uni?

Well essentially yes - my dream is to work at a magic circle firm in the future :colondollar: And whilst I am a highly materialistic person (I really can't help it, watches and boots are beautiful) I am interested in corporate law. I think it's interesting how companies interact, particularly since we live in a predominantly capitalist world. Also with things like Brexit, and Donald Trump's presidency (who's going for a much more isolationist foreign and economic policy) I'm looking forward to see how the economic global community is going to change in the coming years.
pssst... what was the C in?
Original post by Cherub012
pssst... what was the C in?

:backstab: shhh we don't talk about that

Spoiler

Ah - good luck! Any idea what you want to do at uni?

Well essentially yes - my dream is to work at a magic circle firm in the future :colondollar: And whilst I am a highly materialistic person (I really can't help it, watches and boots are beautiful) I am interested in corporate law. I think it's interesting how companies interact, particularly since we live in a predominantly capitalist world. Also with things like Brexit, and Donald Trump's presidency (who's going for a much more isolationist foreign and economic policy) I'm looking forward to see how the economic global community is going to change in the coming years.

Some form of economics/maths/statistics... (investment banking)
Corporate law, ahh you're in it for the moneyyyy. Can't blame you :wink:
hehe
Some form of economics/maths/statistics... (investment banking)
Corporate law, ahh you're in it for the moneyyyy. Can't blame you :wink:
hehe

I could say the same with regards to investment banking :tongue:
Hi! I really hope you achieve these 4 As!
I'm an A2 who got AAAA at AS (I did Maths and Eng Lit too!) and I think the best advice I can give is just believe in yourself. I got so stressed over revision and I was convinced I couldn't do it, and after every exam I felt like I'd failed - I got a pretty big shock on results day lol.
Also, don't give up on your Oxford goal!!! I was originally planning to apply to Oxbridge but when it got to September all of the pressure from my school/teachers really got to me and I ended up missing the deadline. Don't get stressed out by the thought of your personal statement, start it early and make sure its perfect well in time for that early deadline!!
Wishing you the best of luck, looking forward to following this thread. I can see you're in a great mindset already :smile:
:backstab: shhh we don't talk about that

Spoiler

My mind's slightly drifted to that rather dark emoji.

Spoiler

Original post by Cherub012
My mind's slightly drifted to that rather dark emoji.

Spoiler

Dark? All I see is a pink blob placing a red cape on a blue blob's back, which for some reason turns into cranberry juice :tongue:

Spoiler

I could say the same with regards to investment banking :tongue:

pfffffffffffffffffft

By the way looking at your choice of A levels... they're all so different (except english and history..) how do you even cope oh my...
pfffffffffffffffffft

By the way looking at your choice of A levels... they're all so different (except english and history..) how do you even cope oh my...

:cool:

As for my A-Levels, I like the variety. :u: I also love all of them (except for maths, which I appreciate but don't exactly love) which helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending