The Student Room Group

Working at Barclays as a cashier, is there opportunity to go further up the ladder?

I think this is the right place to go, anyway.

I've an assessment centre soon for a cashier role at Barclays, but their website doesn't seem to offer much information in terms of career progression.

I was just wondering if it's been possible for people to work their way up to say, working in investment banking at BarCap? Is the support there to go further

I've recently left my degree of study (with a Music Tech degree I can still barely get any work experience) and it's an area I've always kept an interest in.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alex.
Reply 1
Should post this in IB&C.

The answer to your question is 'not a chance'. The two are a world away. Barcap look for graduates from top unis in solid subjects with like ABB at least A Level. A cashier position at a high street branch I'd consider as a dead end job or a reasonable part time job whilst young and studying.

Seriously even a branch manager would be dumb to think his career might progress one day to be an banker at Barcap. I don't like to say theres no chance to do a particular thing but it some instances you've got to be realistic.
Reply 2
Internal recruitment is very common.
Head to the HR office and make sure you're available for internal recruitment if needed.
Don't sound very needy.
Reply 3
Antzlck
Should post this in IB&C.

The answer to your question is 'not a chance'. The two are a world away. Barcap look for graduates from top unis in solid subjects with like ABB at least A Level. A cashier position at a high street branch I'd consider as a dead end job or a reasonable part time job whilst young and studying.

I have no interest in IB, nor knowledge of it.

That said, wouldn't a part time job at a bank while someone was at uni be better on a CV than a part time job at (say) Tesco? Of course an applicant would need the A levels, degree, etc to have any chance at all--but presumably work in a bank would look better than working in an off license or pub. Bank cashiers who makes mistakes get fired very quickly, and if you can hack it, that shows you are meticulous and responsible..
Isn't a degree from a solid University a requirement for IB?
jjarvis

That said, wouldn't a part time job at a bank while someone was at uni be better on a CV than a part time job at (say) Tesco? Of course an applicant would need the A levels, degree, etc to have any chance at all--but presumably work in a bank would look better than working in an off license or pub. Bank cashiers who makes mistakes get fired very quickly, and if you can hack it, that shows you are meticulous and responsible..

Yeah man, it's relevant experience. Hell, even if you don't go in to banking, it's a very professional customer facing role. That'll be excellent on your CV regardless what field you work in.
Reply 6
mikeyd85
Yeah man, it's relevant experience. Hell, even if you don't go in to banking, it's a very professional customer facing role. That'll be excellent on your CV regardless what field you work in.

Yeah, it beats the **** out of Starbucks or a pub--it shows discretion, that you can be trusted with huge amounts of money and giving accurate change/desposits, privacy. Of course you couldn't work up from cashier to IB without a degree--but it's good, honest work, and I certainly wouldn't call it a "dead-end job." I had a friend who said that everyone he knew who worked in a bank was either promoted or fired within six months. There's a good amount of turnover because they don't tolerate errors. I wish I could get a job in a bank...
Reply 7
jjarvis

No not really. Your part time job isn't going to swing anything for you. You can just as easily argue that your part time job stacking shelves at Tesco shows you are meticulous and responsible. No one at Barcap is going to see your CV and say 'oh wow he's already worked for us, lets get him in!' :no:

The OP should be enquiring about the opportunities to go 'further up the ladder' in RETAIL banking that would be more realistic.
Reply 8
Thanks for the advice so far people. As I said I wasn't specifically pointing at IB, but yeah other stuff I'm always open to.

Ta.
why would you be on a music tech degree if youve been always been interested in 'that field'? what types of a levels did you do? ....forget BarCap, just move within Barclays if possible.
Having worked as a part time cashier for Barclays I might be able to help. Retail banking, contrary to popular belief, is NOT about customer service, its about forcing as many of the banks products down the customers throat as possible haha. If you are good at this without over stepping certain FSA mis-selling regulations you will be fast tracked from a cashier to a PB (Personal Banker). As a PB you will focus exclusively on converting leads from the cashiers and cross selling to as many of these customers as possible. You will have your own desk and computer and will be expected to stay late and cold call existing customers most evenings to 'hit target.' If you decide to go down the manager route you can progress from a cashier to a line manager, which is basically the senior cashier, and learn all of the necessary requirements for running a branch. In a bigger branch you can then move on to become an assistant manager, and ultimately to become a branch manager, however you may have to relocate to an open branch.
Reply 11
Hi I worked at Barc for two years and went no were I remained a cashier and the counter management were not very encouraging but then it depend who u have. I know many people who are unhappy and many who love it so its really your own attitude to the work. It's absolutely vital you continuously meet targets in order for you to move up or to be seen doin.
Reply 12
How much are bank cashiers paid? I Have always wondered why the cashiers at my HSBC branch are such pricks.
Reply 13
Sorry, but they are worlds apart. Progression of a cashier would be to local branch manager, regional manager, etc.. Intersection with IB would be veryyy rare.
The current CEO of Barclays is from the Retail & Business Banking Division..

Barclays have a programme for graduates to develop themselves and jazz like that called Future Leader Development Programme or something along those lines, if you join that, you might get somewhere in the Retail & Business Banking Division of Barclays..

For investment banking, you have to really want it, bad, like willing to sacrifice your life and practically kill yourself bad. Investment banking is extremely cut-throat, more than you could ever imagine. And your CV and a 'music tech' degree will not demonstrate how much you want that. In saying that, if you really want it, becoming a cashier will slaughter your chances (simply because they are so different and it shows a lack of direction and to be fair, they both require completely different skills). However, it's better than nothing if you have no better options. You need to take a completely different approach for IB, it could not be more different from a retail bank.

Generally you need a solid degree from a top uni with straight academics and a ton of extra-curricular and leadership skills..

Without this, your chances become more and more unlikely..

If I was you, I'd try and prove yourself and work your way up Retail & Business Banking or try for an Accountancy firm (again, this will be hard though..Try and get into some sort of advisory, corporate finance area). From there, a few make it over into investment banking. It's not exactly common though and extremely hard.

Ask around on the IB & C forum, they might be able to help you if you give more details but it is unlikely..
I study business management at degree level. Can I work part time for Barclays Bank for some experience.
Reply 16
Original post by Kemon acho
I study business management at degree level. Can I work part time for Barclays Bank for some experience.

Yes, you can start on Monday morning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending