The Student Room Group

Is law a useless degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Mm, you'll be able to access most things if you have a good CV outside your grades, but if you think Oxbridge doesn't give you a better chance of making it through a paper sift as against someone from, say, Sheffield or York, I have bad news.

Additional factors in Oxbridge's overrepresentation in the legal professions include access to and emphasis upon ECs and the fact that they just hoover up a lot of the best candidates to begin with, but it's clearly a boost in itself in getting your foot in the door.

Yes I agree with that and candidates from Oxbridge etc likely do have an edge over the Russell groups, but like you said it doesn't rule us out completely.
Original post by Kravence
So far you seem to be unable to show that

Firstly, what I do know is that you are incapable of holding a strong, valid arguement and also I will reiterate that I can confirm that Law is definitely not vocational seeing as you were "unsure" on the issue just to clear that up once more.
Original post by Rachaiec
Firstly, what I do know is that you are incapable of holding a strong, valid arguement and also I will reiterate that I can confirm that Law is definitely not vocational seeing as you were "unsure" on the issue just to clear that up once more.

To be honest, this was mainly my fault suggesting it was vocational to begin with.

Law isn't a vocational degree?

By the very fact that a law degree is the main academic prerequisite to becoming a lawyer, it is vocational.

(The GDL covers the main parts of a law degree, so that does not negate my point)
We can't all be neurotypical's with the same thought pattern though, your clearly in the wrong and haven't a clue what your talking for starters your only in year ten I mean that doesn't give you any experience in the world of work at all then does it?

+1 rep. This nikita girl is getting salty.

Ofc its vocational in the sense it is part 1 of the training required to become a solicitor/ barrister. Not the only way, but its the most direct. Thats one of the main reasons people do it.

vocational və(ʊ)ˈkeɪʃ(ə)n(ə)l/ adjective
adjective:

vocational relating to an occupation or employment.

"vocational training" (of education or training) directed at a particular occupation and its skills.

Also agree that Oxbridge (any degree) gives you a much better chance of making progress all things being equal. Really silly to argue otherwise, but then thats the case with most degrees.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PostGrad221
Law isn't a vocational degree?

By the very fact that a law degree is the main academic prerequisite to becoming a lawyer, it is vocational.

(The GDL covers the main parts of a law degree, so that does not negate my point)

No, but the other guy was arguing from the point of view that vocational meant that a Law degree consisted of lots of coursework and not exams, in other words suggesting a law degree was a dunce.
No, but the other guy was arguing from the point of view that vocational meant that a Law degree consisted of lots of coursework and not exams, in other words suggesting a law degree was a dunce.

Oh my bad then.

Law is without a doubt the hardest of all the social science/humanities degrees. The only subject I can think of coming level with it is Economics - and that only because of the maths elements.
Original post by 999tigger
Ofc its vocational in the sense it is part 1 of the training required to become a solicitor/ barrister. Not the only way, but its the most direct. Thats one of the main reasons people do it.

vocational və(ʊ)ˈkeɪʃ(ə)n(ə)l/ adjective
adjective:

vocational relating to an occupation or employment.

"vocational training" (of education or training) directed at a particular occupation and its skills.

No some people are under the illusion that vocational would typically mean non-academic or that there are no exams as such, thats what the other guy thought.
Original post by SkyRees
Do kindly take your poor-mental-health superiority and shove it up your ***.

I am quite superior :wink:
Original post by LisaNikita
I am quite superior :wink:

I'm afraid narcissism won't make you popular even in STEM careers. Sorry, should I use smaller words for you?
I'm sorry that for my preferred subject of study I don't have to go to Oxbridge to get a good paying job.
😂😂
😂😂

Care to elaborate?

Do you think all the high paying firms hire exclusively from Oxbridge? Have you actually been in said type of law firm or spoken to one of the trainees/future trainees/associates to make these claims?

P.S. if you don't drop the holier than thou attitude, rejections will sting even more when you come to apply to jobs/internships
Original post by SkyRees
I'm afraid narcissism won't make you popular even in STEM careers. Sorry, should I use smaller words for you?

You didn't even know what neurotypical was till I said it. I can handle big words.
A law degree can be useful if it's from a top uni, if its not then it is useless.
You didn't even know what neurotypical was till I said it. I can handle big words.

I know damn well what a neurotypical is, because I'm not one. It doesn't give you the automatic excuse to act like a self-absorbed tool.
Original post by PostGrad221
Oh my bad then.

Law is without a doubt the hardest of all the social science/humanities degrees. The only subject I can think of coming level with it is Economics - and that only because of the maths elements.

Where did you get this from? What about traditional subjecs like Geography and History? Even Psychology. To say that law is on the same level as economics is a joke.
Original post by SkyRees
I know damn well what a neurotypical is, because I'm not one. It doesn't give you the automatic excuse to act like a self-absorbed tool.

How?
When?
Stop going off topic. This about the law degree. Is it worth it. Yes or no. Simple answer.
OP has a completely horrible attitude that will have no place in an actual work place. yeah, you've got a mental disorder that makes you smart, but does that make you compatible with the real world? I think not.
Are there any areas of law where there is a shortage of (good) lawyers?

Would any unemployed law graduates here be willing to train for a career in defending (mostly Muslim) people who have been charged with terrorism offences or is this just too contentious?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending