The Student Room Group

My Journey to AAAA (and ultimately Oxford)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
You're doing History and French like me as well - we are also studying Entre les murs for the French film. Are you on AQA? I'm really enjoying A Level French atm and think it's way more interesting than GCSE was :tongue:

Hi! Sorry for replying so late, didn't get a notif :colonhash:

Yes I am on AQA and I'm really enjoying it. I absolutely adore French, and learning more about the culture and getting more confident in speaking etc. is so great.

What other A-Levels are you doing? Will you be dropping French? When I first took it I intended to drop it because of how notoriously hard it was painted out to be, but I'm actually coping. Also with the fact that it's my favourite A-Level atm, I think I'll drop History instead.

Speaking of History, it's quite interesting. What units are you doing? (We're doing Modern Britain and Tsarist and Communist Russia :u:) However it's just too much stress for me as well so I think I'll be dropping it next year :redface:

Original post by rolaah
Good luck! I had the same ambitions as you and with that right attitude I ended up getting 4 As at AS as well! I currently hold my dream offer to UCL and am predicted 3 A*s (although that's v ambitious!!). Wish you all the luck, all of those unis are v hard to get into! Also don't worry about mocks, I just scraped 4 As as well and got 90%+ in all my real exams at the end of the year - just be persistent!

Oh wow that's amazing - congrats! :biggrin: What A-Levels are you doing and what degree have you applied for? Also did you apply to Oxbridge? (Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very curious :tongue:)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cherryblossoming
:cool:

As for my A-Levels, I like the variety. :u: I also love all of them (except for maths, which I appreciate but don't exactly love) which helps!

haha I love maths.. all the time I should be spending on my gcses I'm just doing maths *awks*
Reply 22

Yes I am on AQA and I'm really enjoying it. I absolutely adore French, and learning more about the culture and getting more confident in speaking etc. is so great.

What other A-Levels are you doing? Will you be dropping French? When I first took it I intended to drop it because of how notoriously hard it was painted out to be, but I'm actually coping. Also with the fact that it's my favourite A-Level atm, I think I'll drop History instead.

Speaking of History, it's quite interesting. What units are you doing? (We're doing Modern Britain and Tsarist and Communist Russia :u:) However it's just too much stress for me as well so I think I'll be dropping it next year :redface:

Oh wow that's amazing - congrats! :biggrin: What A-Levels are you doing and what degree have you applied for? Also did you apply to Oxbridge? (Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very curious :tongue:)

Haha no worries! I'm doing politics, german and spanish and dropped history last year. I applied for ESPS at UCL and now have an offer! V pleased as the competition for that degree is intense. I also have an offer to Sciences Po in France (political science uni) but idk if I will go there... Also applied to KCL (which I have an offer for), Edinburgh, St Andrews and LSE. It would be nice to have an LSE offer but highly highly doubt that's gonna happen lol. I didn't apply Oxbridge as there was simply no course I wanted to do :smile:

Speaking of History, it's quite interesting. What units are you doing? (We're doing Modern Britain and Tsarist and Communist Russia :u:) However it's just too much stress for me as well so I think I'll be dropping it next year

I agree, it goes beyond just the language and incorporates the culture, the people, and the politics of French speaking nations into it as well, which is what I love. I also find that I'm getting more confident with speaking which is good :smile:

I'm doing History, French, Spanish and Classics. Classics is the only unreformed subject so I'm doing an AS in that - it's the only one that I could drop after June and still come out with a qualification in. Although I picked Classics just as like a 4th study option and was always intending to drop it after Year 12, I've found that I'm actually really enjoying it and am considering taking all four to A2 level (yeah, I don't know what's wrong with me either :biggrin:). I also heard the rumours about A Level languages, how difficult they were, how much of a jump up they were, but I've found little to no problem with the increased difficulty and still love both French and Spanish to bits!!

History is interesting as well! I'm doing Spain 1469-1556 and Britain 1783-1845 this year, and the French Revolution + coursework on whatever topic I choose next year. Only 80 students sit the Spanish History paper each year in the whole of the country, 14 of which will be in my class :biggrin: I do find it my most challenging A Level, however, but I know that once I've got the essay technique down to a tee I will find it less of a stress. Which era does Modern Britain entail? I've found that I really like Modern History (I did all post-1900 History for GCSE and loved the course) and also Classical History (hence my love for Classics) but I'm enjoying my History modules nonetheless.

Hi guys! :tongue:

I know I'm quite late in joining the party (:yeah:) but in my defence I only regained some motivation quite recently (this may or may not be linked to the fact that I can't find anything good on Netflix)

I am doing this for the first time and kinda sceptical about a thread focused solely on me but I'm also excited af, really think this will help me! I'm pretty sure my friends have had enough of me letting them know every single piece of revision I've done via Snapchat anyways lmao

I aspire to study Law at Oxford ultimately, but I guess we'll see where life takes me (on a related note I do feel free will is very limited and that fate is largely written solely due to the domino-like effect of events but I guess there's no need to dwell too much on that when working my ass off).

Some academic info about me:

Spoiler

Interests

Spoiler

Mocks:

Spoiler

So that's that! Won't be posting any pictures because im too lazy (woops) but I do aim to update this thread quite a lot with revision and other progress at school. Hopefully this thread will motivate myself enough to get those 4 As. :redface:

Also if anyone else is aspiring to study law, or study at Oxford (or just wants to say hi :biggrin:) please do leave a comment!

:007:

Song of the Week: Afraid by the Neighbourhood

Emoticon of the Week: :congrats:

Hey best of luck and I really hope you get into Oxford!x:h: I'm also in yr 12 and I am aiming to study economics at cambridge!x:biggrin::h:
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
I agree, it goes beyond just the language and incorporates the culture, the people, and the politics of French speaking nations into it as well, which is what I love. I also find that I'm getting more confident with speaking which is good :smile:

I'm doing History, French, Spanish and Classics. Classics is the only unreformed subject so I'm doing an AS in that - it's the only one that I could drop after June and still come out with a qualification in. Although I picked Classics just as like a 4th study option and was always intending to drop it after Year 12, I've found that I'm actually really enjoying it and am considering taking all four to A2 level (yeah, I don't know what's wrong with me either :biggrin:). I also heard the rumours about A Level languages, how difficult they were, how much of a jump up they were, but I've found little to no problem with the increased difficulty and still love both French and Spanish to bits!!

History is interesting as well! I'm doing Spain 1469-1556 and Britain 1783-1845 this year, and the French Revolution + coursework on whatever topic I choose next year. Only 80 students sit the Spanish History paper each year in the whole of the country, 14 of which will be in my class :biggrin: I do find it my most challenging A Level, however, but I know that once I've got the essay technique down to a tee I will find it less of a stress. Which era does Modern Britain entail? I've found that I really like Modern History (I did all post-1900 History for GCSE and loved the course) and also Classical History (hence my love for Classics) but I'm enjoying my History modules nonetheless.

Wow - what's the experience like of doing French and Spanish? I personally don't like Spanish that much but a lot of people in my French class do Spanish as well!

Also for Modern Britain it's starts from 1951, and I think goes up until 2007. For AS we're going up till 1979 :u: I'm really enjoying the unit as it's quite focused on politics which is very interesting.
Original post by rolaah
Haha no worries! I'm doing politics, german and spanish and dropped history last year. I applied for ESPS at UCL and now have an offer! V pleased as the competition for that degree is intense. I also have an offer to Sciences Po in France (political science uni) but idk if I will go there... Also applied to KCL (which I have an offer for), Edinburgh, St Andrews and LSE. It would be nice to have an LSE offer but highly highly doubt that's gonna happen lol. I didn't apply Oxbridge as there was simply no course I wanted to do :smile:

That's quite cool - what got you interested in politics? Also would be grateful if you could recommend some interesting politics books you've read because whilst I don't do it for A-Level I am quite interested :tongue:

Just out of curiosity what made you drop History? (I'm thinking of dropping it as well but am not quite so sure atm)
Original post by sunshine774
Hey best of luck and I really hope you get into Oxford!x:h: I'm also in yr 12 and I am aiming to study economics at cambridge!x:biggrin::h:

Hi - thank you! I hope you get into Cambridge as well :tongue: What would you like to study, and what A-Levels are you doing atm? :h:
Reply 28
That's quite cool - what got you interested in politics? Also would be grateful if you could recommend some interesting politics books you've read because whilst I don't do it for A-Level I am quite interested :tongue:

Just out of curiosity what made you drop History? (I'm thinking of dropping it as well but am not quite so sure atm)

Idk I guess I always have been just v interested in international affairs and politics. That's always been at the back of my mind lol. There's an f ton of politics books around, heywood does some good introductions to politics (the absolute g as saviour for my a level course!). Also read a good book on geopolitics recently if you're interested called "prisoners of geography".

I dropped it bc it was my worst subject and the one I was least passionate about (soz Luther)
Wow - what's the experience like of doing French and Spanish? I personally don't like Spanish that much but a lot of people in my French class do Spanish as well!

Also for Modern Britain it's starts from 1951, and I think goes up until 2007. For AS we're going up till 1979 :u: I'm really enjoying the unit as it's quite focused on politics which is very interesting.

I love it so much! I've been taking both languages since Year 8 so I don't have a problem with mixing up both tbh, even though they're in the same language family they're so different from one another.

That's very cool that you do post-WWII up to the Iraq War, I wish more courses concentrated on that side of the 20th century instead of the first half - I feel as though so many courses I've done have involved 1900-1950 which is just a bit boring now imo. I am into politics as well so I would probably find Modern Britain super interesting if it's political :smile:
Hi there! :wavey:

Loving the thread, your mock results are amazing and I'm sure you'll have a great chance at getting into Oxford!!

I'm in Year 12 too, although we're very different in terms of subject choice (we do have maths in common though!). How are you finding everything? Is the workload manageable for you?

I'll definitely be watching this to see how you get on :h:

Spoiler

I'll be wishing you all the best! :yep:
Hi - thank you! I hope you get into Cambridge as well :tongue: What would you like to study, and what A-Levels are you doing atm? :h:

I want to study economics, and I am currently doing maths, economics chemistry and the EPQ.:smile: Wbu?x:h:
Good luck !! :smile:
Original post by rolaah
Idk I guess I always have been just v interested in international affairs and politics. That's always been at the back of my mind lol. There's an f ton of politics books around, heywood does some good introductions to politics (the absolute g as saviour for my a level course!). Also read a good book on geopolitics recently if you're interested called "prisoners of geography".

I dropped it bc it was my worst subject and the one I was least passionate about (soz Luther)

Hm yeah - politics is really very interesting. Also will definitely check that book out, thanks for the rec! :biggrin:

Original post by NiamhM1801
Hi there! :wavey:

Loving the thread, your mock results are amazing and I'm sure you'll have a great chance at getting into Oxford!!

I'm in Year 12 too, although we're very different in terms of subject choice (we do have maths in common though!). How are you finding everything? Is the workload manageable for you?

I'll definitely be watching this to see how you get on :h:

Spoiler

I'll be wishing you all the best! :yep:

Thank you so much! :tongue:

I'll definitely check out your GYG thread - good luck with your studies as well! What uni would you like to go to?

Also I'd say that workload itself ie homework and any other stuff is manageable. I just need to get on top of my revision tbh. In all honestly I have been slacking these past few days but hopefully I'll get back to it this weekend :redface:

How about you? And how are you enjoying your other subjects? :h:

Original post by sunshine774
I want to study economics, and I am currently doing maths, economics chemistry and the EPQ.:smile: Wbu?x:h:

I'm doing Maths, French, English Lit and History :biggrin:

What's your EPQ on?
Hm yeah - politics is really very interesting. Also will definitely check that book out, thanks for the rec! :biggrin:

I'll definitely check out your GYG thread - good luck with your studies as well! What uni would you like to go to?

Also I'd say that workload itself ie homework and any other stuff is manageable. I just need to get on top of my revision tbh. In all honestly I have been slacking these past few days but hopefully I'll get back to it this weekend :redface:

I'm doing Maths, French, English Lit and History :biggrin:

What's your EPQ on?

Lol I have no idea yet (haven't actually started doing it!):tongue:
Probably should start thinking about it soon...

25/01/17

Today wasn't that productive - hopefully I'll be fixing that over the weekend :redface:

At school:

My maths lesson got cancelled and our teacher emailed over some catch up work. I really should've done it today, but I went to the cinema :biggrin:

Had my first meeting with my EPQ supervisor today. Not feeling that great about it tbh - he completely *****ed all over my initial question (which was warranted - it wasn't a great essay question) but now I really don't know what to change it to

At home:

I did my history homework for tomorrow - it was a table on different aspects of the Russian Empire. Teacher told us to do just one box (since he was only giving us one day to do it) and then we'll fill the rest together, but I did all of it :tongue:

Also popped out my copy of L'Étranger and tried reading it again. It makes much more sense this time round, since it's the first time I've tried reading it after starting French A-Level :u: I annotated the first couple of pages after looking up words I didn't know

(edited 7 years ago)

No problem!

Thank you! I'm desperate to go to Durham :love: I'm actually going up for the weekend on the 11th and I can't wait :biggrin:

I'm exactly the same! I get most of my homework done but I haven't actually revised properly since the holidays, I'm not sure how I could fit it in to be honest :s-smilie:. I'm sure you will get back on track soon :yep:

Yeah I enjoy my other subjects, especially Further Maths, but I find Physics really difficult so have to work on it a lot more than my other 2. So sometimes it can be hard to keep up, especially when I'm not feeling very motivated to work after school. It's reasonably manageable though :smile:
Original post by NiamhM1801
No problem!

Thank you! I'm desperate to go to Durham :love: I'm actually going up for the weekend on the 11th and I can't wait :biggrin:

I'm exactly the same! I get most of my homework done but I haven't actually revised properly since the holidays, I'm not sure how I could fit it in to be honest :s-smilie:. I'm sure you will get back on track soon :yep:

Yeah I enjoy my other subjects, especially Further Maths, but I find Physics really difficult so have to work on it a lot more than my other 2. So sometimes it can be hard to keep up, especially when I'm not feeling very motivated to work after school. It's reasonably manageable though :smile:

Oh that's cool! Good luck on Durham then :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending