The Student Room Group

Underperforming in Maths under exam conditions! Help?!?

Hi, I am currently studying further maths (and physics and latin) at A-Level and since i can remember I have had a severe tendency to underperform in maths exams, by making seriously careless mistakes or panicking. This may be something I have induced upon myself by thinking about it too much , but any tips to prevent this would be greatly helped. I know I am a capable mathematician as I often get high marks.

Anyone know of a way I can seriously replicate exam conditions. Realistically we only get one opportunity to replicate these conditions (mocks) before the real exam.

Thanks
Original post by tmg1999
Hi, I am currently studying further maths (and physics and latin) at A-Level and since i can remember I have had a severe tendency to underperform in maths exams, by making seriously careless mistakes or panicking. This may be something I have induced upon myself by thinking about it too much , but any tips to prevent this would be greatly helped. I know I am a capable mathematician as I often get high marks.

Anyone know of a way I can seriously replicate exam conditions. Realistically we only get one opportunity to replicate these conditions (mocks) before the real exam.

Thanks

Does your school let you sit in the actual exam hall to do mocks? That is one idea.

Water helps me too, my maths teacher gave out bananas as well before each maths exam.

In terms of study advice, do as many past papers and textbook questions as you can, particularly things that stretch you or ask non standard stuff as that is what is most difficult in the exam.

And for each question, before attempting it, mentally check what information the question is giving you that you may use in the question, pay attention to multi part questions as here will be links, make sure you know what topic(s) are being tested and then attempt the question. If you get stuck, move on and come back. I did this in FP2 for a whole question and it helped, and also for smaller parts in other questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending