The Student Room Group

Is law a useless degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LisaNikita
Apparently there are more people in colleges studying law then there are actual jobs. Is this true?

Are you mentally dysfunctional?? Not every person studying law becomes a lawyer imbecile.:u::u:

Yours faithfully,
Paul
Original post by paulkonchesky
Are you mentally dysfunctional?? Not every person studying law becomes a lawyer imbecile.:u::u:

Yours faithfully,
Paul

Jobs which came from the degree Law. I never once mentioned "lawyer". Neurot.
Lovely point I agree. Medicine is also similar to law.

Thank you. Studies like those ones are not useless per se. Could be it makes no sense for some individuals, because they consider for themselves being not good enough to get employed. But this has nothing to do with the studies.
Jobs which came from the degree Law. I never once mentioned "lawyer". Neurot.

tbf there are fewer jobs than degrees in pretty much every industry apart from something like medicine/nursing. You've got to realise the reason there are so many people doing Law is that 1) it's employable / prestigious 2) It doesn't cost very much to teach compared to STEM subjects leading to many universities, even typically 'lower-ranked' ones, offering it.

Although studying Law isn't necessary to become a Lawyer, it's probably of more direct relevance to Law than many Humanities degrees, and can open up many other career options within finance, politics, and journalism as well.

Saying Law is pointless because not everyone doing Law gets a high paying job is pretty redundant anyway. Not all universities are created equal and just because the degree says 'Law' doesn't mean it would be treated equally. Going somewhere like Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Bristol/Durham is probably going to be highly employable, as shown by the fact that Law from 3 of those places was featured in the top 10 highest paid starting salary degrees within the UK.

Pretty sure the OP is trolling though, or just straight up ignorant.
Ok . ok. ok. idc.

Conclusion : "Law is useless unless you go to oxbridge then it is useful"
Ok . ok. ok. idc.

Says the girl in year 10 who didn't even take her GCSE's yet

Actually, a barrister at a local law firm in my region had his degree from UCL. True, Oxbridge does help, however that is for all subjects(having great EC's,Experiences, Interviews etc), not just exclusive to Law

Whilst it is quite helpful to get a degree from a top RG for Law(barring IB) , it isn't the be all end all.

I hope your trolling. If you actually think this, I don't think you'll do as well at jobs you stem snob.
Original post by Blancosdos
Says the girl in year 10 who didn't even take her GCSE's yet

Actually, a barrister at a local law firm in my region had his degree from UCL. True, Oxbridge does help, however that is for all subjects(having great EC's,Experiences, Interviews etc), not just exclusive to Law

Whilst it is quite helpful to get a degree from a top RG for Law(barring IB) , it isn't the be all end all.

I hope your trolling. If you actually think this, I don't think you'll do as well at jobs you stem snob.

Wow what an exceptional case study. Any others?

I believe the term you wished to use was "anecdotal". Maybe you'll learn that in GCSE English next year hopefully.

No you are right to some extent. Oxbridge makes up a lot of the law firms background. But it does for IB too, engineering etc. And your initial thread title was "Is law a useless degree". It isn't. In regards to law(despite it's saturation) it can get you into legal based jobs. It can also get you into non legal based job where a law degree is valued for e.g finance.
Original post by bex.anne
Where did you get this from? What about traditional subjecs like Geography and History? Even Psychology. To say that law is on the same level as economics is a joke.

I conceded the point on Economics already. But I still think that a comparison between Law and Eco is a bit difficult because someone can be naturally better at essay writing and do better at Law, or be naturally better at Maths and prefer Economics.

However, no one in their right mind would say that History or Geography are as hard as law - let alone a micky mouse degree like Psychology.

I don't say that as someone who dislikes subjects like History for example. In fact, it is one of my favourite areas of study. But I've studied law, politics and history modules at degree level and I can assure you, law is much harder.

Oxbridge helps if you want to get onto the commercial bar. However, the commercial bar is arguably very 'backward' and if you're not the right 'type' of person you won't get in - Oxbridge or not. Less than half of barristers are Oxbridge educated.
Ok . ok. ok. idc.

This implies that any universities outside of Oxbridge are useless, which is far from being true (and before you accuse me of being biased due to being rejected, I do have an offer from one but still do not believe that an Oxbridge degree is inherently more "worth it" than that of another Russell Group university). LSE and UCL are highly respected universities for law worldwide, and will help you land a job after graduation.

Just because there are more law students than there are jobs for lawyers does not imply anything about the degree's worth. I applied for law with the knowledge that I have not decided whether or not I will pursue a law-related profession after the three years of university. Law trains skills that are highly valued by employers, such as critical thinking and logic, and many law students will go on to professions in banking, HR, PR, etc. In this day and age, what you study at university does not dictate what you will end up working as (excluding occupations such as dentists and doctors).

I'd advise you to think carefully the next time you decide to say that a degree many people value and apply for is useless, because you will inevitably end up offending many individuals.
It's difficult to get a job in law, but you can use the degree to get jobs elsewhere.

My sister studied law, worked in a few law firms and now she works in banking.

Ok . ok. ok. idc.

she studied at Swansea
(edited 7 years ago)
Apparently there are more people in colleges studying law then there are actual jobs. Is this true?

Statement is true but no a law degree isn't pointless and useless. You can go beyond a career in Law. A few of my friends studied Law and are now working in Finance and Recruitment.
But its the same principle with any general degree, because with so many graduates that means there is so much competition. If you really want to make your career you have to work hard by gaining work experience because most people have a degree these days and no one stands out from the crowd anymore.
Don't be one of those delusional graduates who think they can earn 100k without any experience because that is the ingredient what makes your salary rise.

Original post by l'etranger
This statement is very true, but that does not mean that the degree itself is useless. Law is traditionally seen as a very lucrative field to enter, now couple this with the fact it's very cheap to run law degrees compared with chemistry degrees due to the low reliance on resources, there are a lot of bad law graduates. Law at a top university is by far one of the best degrees in terms of earning potential, but if it's from a low ranking university, you will seriously struggle to gain a high quality training contract and with the obsolescence of paralegals it will be hard to build up a relevant working history.+1

Again true to an extent; my sister went to the same university as me a decade ago but is now earning 50k for her job in Law.
Also most of my friends went to other low ranking universities but they managed to get a job they wanted in the end.
Like most people say a degree's use is how you make it really.
The fact you made this thread to begin with is useless
Original post by thirdcultureteen
This implies that any universities outside of Oxbridge are useless, which is far from being true (and before you accuse me of being biased due to being rejected, I do have an offer from one but still do not believe that an Oxbridge degree is inherently more "worth it" than that of another Russell Group university). LSE and UCL are highly respected universities for law worldwide, and will help you land a job after graduation.

Just because there are more law students than there are jobs for lawyers does not imply anything about the degree's worth. I applied for law with the knowledge that I have not decided whether or not I will pursue a law-related profession after the three years of university. Law trains skills that are highly valued by employers, such as critical thinking and logic, and many law students will go on to professions in banking, HR, PR, etc. In this day and age, what you study at university does not dictate what you will end up working as (excluding occupations such as dentists and doctors).

I'd advise you to think carefully the next time you decide to say that a degree many people value and apply for is useless, because you will inevitably end up offending many individuals.

+1 for excellent response and for your username TCKs ftw!

Posted from TSR Mobile

By reading your following posts after this initial post, I assume you have been rejected by your chosen universities for Law or have a Law degree but lack skill to secure a training contract and thus render it 'useless' to seek comfort.

A Law degree does not guarantee that you will work in a law firm, and this is known by many. In fact, 50% of lawyers in top law firms haven't actually studied Law at degree level but have instead took the GDL route. You have then come to the conclusion that due to this known fact, that a Law degree will not guarantee you a job in the field, it is therefore useless. Whilst I may agree that many people studying Law wish to practice, they are most drawn by the intellectually demanding nature and prestige of such a degree. A Law degree is designed not to only educate you of the Law, but enhance the skills most sought ought by all the top employers. Whether they graduate and proceed to be a Lawyer or not, they are of assurance that their degree will hold them high in good stead when exploring other possible job options.

The only thing useless was your initial post.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes if you've studied at London Met and no if you've studied at Oxford.
Original post by Hasanalm
By reading your following posts after this initial post, I assume you have been rejected by your chosen universities for Law or have a Law degree but lack skill to secure a training contract and thus render it 'useless' to seek comfort.

A Law degree does not guarantee that you will work in a law firm, and this is known by many. In fact, 50% of lawyers in top law firms haven't actually studied Law at degree level but have instead took the GDL route. You have then come to the conclusion that due to this known fact, that a Law degree will not guarantee you a job in the field, it is therefore useless. Whilst I may agree that many people studying Law wish to practice, they are most drawn by the intellectually demanding nature and prestige of such a degree. A Law degree is designed not to only educate you of the Law, but enhance the skills most sought ought by all the top employers. Whether they graduate and proceed to be a Lawyer or not, they are of assurance that their degree will hold them in high in good stead when exploring other possible job options.

The only thing useless was your initial post.

Read again. I'm in year 10
Read again. I'm in year 10

So I assume you are just attention seeking.
wow i cannot believe i have just read this whole thread...

A degree is what you make of it. Getting a first in a respected field at a reasonably good university will open so many doors for you.

yes oxbridge has a status which even other outstanding universities don't have (this pains me to write since i got rejected fml) However a first in law from LSE/Durham is certainly not useless at all

Personally I'd say getting a first in law/history/economics from a high ranking RG uni is probably going to be more beneficial than a 2:2 from an ex poly. - please correct me if i'm wrong but this would make sense in general

also if you love STEM so much..... why do you care about law?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending