The Student Room Group

Compelling Personal Reasons

I am getting in touch to ask for guidance on applying for extra student funding due to compelling personal reasons.

In 2009 I began studying for an Undergraduate Degree in Museum Conservation and Archaeology at Cardiff University. During the first term of my second year in 2010 I was diagnosed with severe depression and referred to Cardiff Links Centre Mental Health Clinic, and also used all of my entitlement to student counselling at the University Hospital. Because of this I took a leave of absence for the rest of the academic year, which my GP in Cardiff wrote a supporting letter for. During this absence I still received student funding.

As I was due to start my 2nd year from the beginning again in September 2010 I felt I was not as of yet ready to return, so did not re-enrol and withdrew from my studies. I then moved back home to Northumberland to concentrate on my health with my family’s support and got back on my feet. This means I do not yet have a full degree.

I now wish to apply for an Undergraduate degree in Archaeology at Newcastle University which is the closest to my home. I have not yet applied as the only way this would be viable for myself, is with the support of Student Finance. It is my understanding that each Student is allocated funding for the length of their degree plus an extra grace year, in my case totalling 4 years. This would be ok if I am permitted to transfer my passed 1st year. However, because I focused on Archaeological Conservation and not field practice I may have to apply for entry from year 1.

If this is the case can you please advise me on applying for my extra year of funding? Because I am no longer in Cardiff, would a letter from my GP at home, plus evidence from my NHS records suffice? Or would I also have to contact student services at Cardiff? (I do not have copies of any correspondences from them at the time. I understand a decision cannot be made prior to my application with evidence, but can you give me an indication to whether this would qualify as compelling reasons. I am reluctant to apply if I will be unable to fund a potential first year.

I am very grateful for any support and advice you can offer me on this.
Rosie Thompson.
Original post by rosie_summer13
I am getting in touch to ask for guidance on applying for extra student funding due to compelling personal reasons.

In 2009 I began studying for an Undergraduate Degree in Museum Conservation and Archaeology at Cardiff University. During the first term of my second year in 2010 I was diagnosed with severe depression and referred to Cardiff Links Centre Mental Health Clinic, and also used all of my entitlement to student counselling at the University Hospital. Because of this I took a leave of absence for the rest of the academic year, which my GP in Cardiff wrote a supporting letter for. During this absence I still received student funding.

As I was due to start my 2nd year from the beginning again in September 2010 I felt I was not as of yet ready to return, so did not re-enrol and withdrew from my studies. I then moved back home to Northumberland to concentrate on my health with my family’s support and got back on my feet. This means I do not yet have a full degree.

I now wish to apply for an Undergraduate degree in Archaeology at Newcastle University which is the closest to my home. I have not yet applied as the only way this would be viable for myself, is with the support of Student Finance. It is my understanding that each Student is allocated funding for the length of their degree plus an extra grace year, in my case totalling 4 years. This would be ok if I am permitted to transfer my passed 1st year. However, because I focused on Archaeological Conservation and not field practice I may have to apply for entry from year 1.

If this is the case can you please advise me on applying for my extra year of funding? Because I am no longer in Cardiff, would a letter from my GP at home, plus evidence from my NHS records suffice? Or would I also have to contact student services at Cardiff? (I do not have copies of any correspondences from them at the time. I understand a decision cannot be made prior to my application with evidence, but can you give me an indication to whether this would qualify as compelling reasons. I am reluctant to apply if I will be unable to fund a potential first year.

I am very grateful for any support and advice you can offer me on this.
Rosie Thompson.

Like you say - noone can guarantee before you've applied but if you can provide evidence that leaving during your second year was due to mental health issues then that should be fine to get CPR for that year (with your first year counted as your gift year). Your situation sounds like exactly the circumstances that CPR is designed to cover.

Whether you'd need evidence from cardiff will depend on how thorough your NHS records are - the letter from your GP in Cardiff for taking the year of absence would be the best evidence (combined with a letter from your current GP explaining that studying nearer to home would help maintain your recovery and ideally a letter from Newcastle university stating that entry onto year 2 wouldn't be possible due to the difference in the courses - that way you've covered every possible objection :smile: )
Thank you that is really encouraging advice. The Uni have been in touch asking for my first year grades and modules so one step closer !

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending