The Student Room Group

Can some check if my spag is right please?

Hi,

I'm retaking a English test and I've been self teaching so I was hoping if someone could tell me if my sentence is okay and I'm experimenting with my vocabulary so please let me know if I'm using any of them in the wrong context.

Okay, sorry I didn't realise it would be an issue .
1. Sophie extolled Sam- her toddler; he had painted her a lovely picture.

2. The entire concept of 'natural selection'- as convincing as it may seem, is nothing more than a mere fabrication.

3. The entire concept of natural selection is fueled by avarice; this is not true so it must be fabricated.

4. Every demand of the husband was tended to- no matter how ludicrous; she faithfully acquiesced.

A quick reply would Be nice my exam is tomorrow.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone? :smile:
Original post by Onthedancefloor
Anyone? :smile:

No-one's going to correct it off a photograph. Go to the trouble of typing it in and I'll do it from the text I'll then be able to quote.
Why all the hate towards Natural Selection.
Reply 4
I actually thought you were going to ask us to rate your spaghetti bolognese :lol:
Original post by cambio wechsel
No-one's going to correct it off a photograph. Go to the trouble of typing it in and I'll do it from the text I'll then be able to quote.

Okay, sorry I didn't realise it would be an issue :colondollar:.

2. The entire concept of 'natural selection'- as convincing as it may seem, is nothing more than a mere fabrication.

3. The entire concept of natural selection is fueled by avarice; this is not true so it must be fabricated.

4. Every demand of the husband was tended to- no matter how ludicrous; she faithfully acquiesced.
Original post by UWS
I actually thought you were going to ask us to rate your spaghetti bolognese :lol:

Lol no. Just my writing :h:
Original post by Mistletoe
Why all the hate towards Natural Selection.

To make my sentences are interesting? If you really want to know, I'm learning about epigentics in biology which in a way provides an argument against natural selection :tongue:
x

We extol a quality not a person. The vicar extolled the importance of self-restraint.

Better here would be 'praised'.

Your grammar is defintely nonstandard* and is excessively fussy. Sophie praised her toddler Sam for painting her a lovely picture.

Replace the hyphen with a comma to create a dependent clause. Or shift that to the front of the sentence, ie. As convincing as it may seem,...

I feel that 'avarice' must be the wrong word here.

Why demand of the husband? The husband's every demand. Again, what do you think that hyphen is doing, again attached to the preceding word? The semi-colon here should be a comma.

*For most purposes a person could write his whole life without having need of the hyphen or semi-colon that you seem to see as needed.

Only 3 seems weird to me. I'd write it:
3. "The entire concept of natural selection is fueled by avarice"; this is not true so it must be fabricated.
Original post by cambio wechsel

We extol a quality not a person. The vicar extolled the importance of self-restraint.

Better here would be 'praised'.

Your grammar is defintely nonstandard* and is excessively fussy. Sophie praised her toddler Sam for painting her a lovely picture.

Replace the hyphen with a comma to create a dependent clause. Or shift that to the front of the sentence, ie. As convincing as it may seem,...

I feel that 'avarice' must be the wrong word here.

Why demand of the husband? The husband's every demand. Again, what do you think that hyphen is doing, again attached to the preceding word? The semi-colon here should be a comma.

*For most purposes a person could write his whole life without having need of the hyphen or semi-colon that you seem to see as needed.

Thanks for marking it, yep I also felt avarice was not the right word. I'll change them.
The purpose of that exercise was to use a hyphen or semi colon.
Obviously I didn't use them correctly. I'll try it again...

1. Sophie extolled Sam, her toddler, who had painted her a lovely picture.

You could do this one or two other ways but in the original the semi-colon is quite odd and the dash is just wrong.

2. The entire concept of 'natural selection', as convincing as it may seem, is nothing more than a mere fabrication.

Stop putting random dashes everywhere. A simple comma works much better here.

I don't really understand what you mean here, so I'd suggest rephrasing entirely, and preferably doing so in more than one sentence.

4. Every demand of the husband was tended to: no matter how ludicrous, she faithfully acquiesced.

It shows that you're really trying to force semi-colons into your writing. It would be more impressive if you used them less, but only where appropriate.

In general your writing would be much more fluent if you kept it simpler.
I understand what everyone's I saying but I need to include and effectively use a range of punctuation. I can't just limit myself to a comma and a full stop.

1. The teacher, who was naturally circumspect in his descision, gave James a well deserved B.

2. James took umbrage at that grade; he felt he deserves a better grade.

Is this better?
(edited 7 years ago)
1. Sophie extolled her toddler, Sam: he had painted her a lovely picture.

You should use a colon, not a semi-colon here, because you replace it with "because" or similar conjunction.

2. Either:

The entire concept of 'natural selection', as convincing as it may seem, is nothing more than a fabrication.

Or:

The entire concept of 'natural selection', as convincing as it may seem, is a mere fabrication.

Nothing more and mere are redundant. You could replace the commas with em rules.

This doesn't make sense but it's grammatically OK.

4. Every demand of the husband was tended to; no matter how ludicrous it was, she faithfully acquiesced.

Although I don't think you would tend to a demand. Perhaps "obeyed" is better.

I don't know what your dashes are doing - get rid of all of them.
Okay, so it's safe to say, I should stay the hell away from dashes in my exam tomorrow.
Okay, so it's safe to say, I should stay the hell away from dashes in my exam tomorrow.

No don't do that, just use them when they are necessary.
Original post by Mistletoe
No don't do that, just use them when they are necessary.

Like when you add additional information that it related. Yep, I tried that, with Sarah's toddler.
Like when you add additional information that it related. Yep, I tried that, with Sarah's toddler.

You don't want to drastically change how you write just before an exam or it will all come out weird. Just stick to what you know. TSR is hypercritical.
You never need dashes as you can always replace them with commas, colons, or brackets. But they're not wrong if you know what you're doing.
Hi,

I'm retaking a English test and I've been self teaching so I was hoping if someone could tell me if my sentence is okay and I'm experimenting with my vocabulary so please let me know if I'm using any of them in the wrong context.

Okay, sorry I didn't realise it would be an issue .

A quick reply would Be nice my exam is tomorrow.
Only your use of the word "fabricate" is actually in-place here. "Extol" is a word which isn't used any more, and "acquiesce" means to accept something, not to comply with a demand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending