The Student Room Group

KICKED OUT DUE TO BAD MOCKS ( happened LAST WEEK)

Hi guys, so last week I was kicked out of the sixth form due to poor mock grades. I have been to many colleges but been told that its very late to join this time of the year. However I wasn't the only one with bad grades as there was a handful of other people as well, which have been given a chance to improve their grades. Whereas I wasn't. I don't think this is fair at all. I was having a bad time outside of school which had affected my performance on the mocks and very politely asked for a meeting to explain the situation but was declined. I've had a chat with EFA and was forwarded to the School Admission Council. Now I'm writing a letter to the governors of the place I was attending but my English writing skills aren't great( ITS NOT MY FIRST LANGUAGE). It'd be very kind if someone can help with the letter or even give advice. I just don't want to sit at home until September as id be wasting a year of my life. Furthermore, during the meeting with the head of the sixth-form Id offered to do many things to improve my grades but wasn't given any chances.
Some of the sixthforms i visited said funding would be an issue as well and said that the school that kicked me out would have funding for me. But im not at that place anymore so they could be hiding this. ( THis is what one of the heads at a sixthform said). Hope this made some sense- Please no hatred :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by asd90
Hi guys, so last week I was kicked out of the sixth form due to poor mock grades. I have been to many colleges but been told that its very late to join this time of the year. However I wasn't the only one with bad grades as there was a handful of other people as well, which have been given a chance to improve their grades. Whereas I wasn't. I don't think this is fair at all. I was having a bad time outside of school which had affected my performance on the mocks and very politely asked for a meeting to explain the situation but was declined. I've had a chat with EFA and was forwarded to the School Admission Council. Now I'm writing a letter to the governors of the place I was attending but my English writing skills aren't great( ITS NOT MY FIRST LANGUAGE). It'd be very kind if someone can help with the letter or even give advice. I just don't want to sit at home until September as id be wasting a year of my life. Furthermore, during the meeting with the head of the sixth-form Id offered to do many things to improve my grades but wasn't given any chances.
Some of the sixthforms i visited said funding would be an issue as well and said that the school that kicked me out would have funding for me. But im not at that place anymore so they could be hiding this. ( THis is what one of the heads at a sixthform said). Hope this made some sense- Please no hatred :smile:

Wow what grades did you get and what subjects?
I wonder if you are disruptive in class? Do you misbehave or are rude? That may have been why they kicked you out in addition to your poor grades. It really takes a lot for someone to be kicked out.
Reply 3
Original post by habeas.corpus
I wonder if you are disruptive in class? Do you misbehave or are rude? That may have been why they kicked you out in addition to your poor grades. It really takes a lot for someone to be kicked out.

No not all, i was catching the train everyday and had to wake up really early just to go there. Its a really strict place but its not fair how they just kicked me out
Reply 4
Original post by Echo00
Wow what grades did you get and what subjects?

I was doing maths, furthermaths, physics and chemistry. I got strong GCSES, I have to admit f.m did take a lot of the studying time, but like i said i wasnt having a good time during the mocks so couldnt get really good grades. U-D-U-U. i was hoping to drop one but couldnt carry on
Reply 5
Is anyone able to offer advice/help please?
Original post by asd90

There's clearly a lot more to this situation than that which you have written here. Colleges don't just kick people out because they've done badly academically - there has to be sustained non-performance and/or other issues, and expulsion is always the last resort. It also sounds like you've been through the college's internal systems and the answer has remained the same. A performance where you have received unclassified grades for 75% of the courses you are taking is obviously going to be cause for grave concern, and the college has taken the decision that you are unlikely to succeed academically at your chosen course.

By all means write a letter/make representations to the governors, but don't expect that making a fuss is going to change their decision. Maybe it would be more profitable to reflect on the conduct and circumstances which led to your expulsion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by asd90

Maybe get a personal tutor.Ask your school if you can remain registered at the school in order to take real A-Level exams.If you can then it is great: study at home and go to your school for exams. One of my friend did this last year: he did the same subjects like you but in mock got ABCC,so his parents decided to get personal tutors for him (i.e the difference between you and him is that he is not kicked out but chose to stay at home). Also he is a bit naughty at school yes but seldom break the rules, so I hope what you are saying is exactly the situation you are in at your school: I don't think schools will simply kick you off because of mock results.
Make the most of your time at home if you have to stay at home: he did better in the real exams eventually, A* in maths in particular.
So honestly don't lose hope but keep working and ask if you can remain registered at your school for exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
There's clearly a lot more to this situation than that which you have written here. Colleges don't just kick people out because they've done badly academically - there has to be sustained non-performance and/or other issues, and expulsion is always the last resort. It also sounds like you've been through the college's internal systems and the answer has remained the same. A performance where you have received unclassified grades for 75% of the courses you are taking is obviously going to be cause for grave concern, and the college has taken the decision that you are unlikely to succeed academically at your chosen course.

By all means write a letter/make representations to the governors, but don't expect that making a fuss is going to change their decision. Maybe it would be more profitable to reflect on the conduct and circumstances which led to your expulsion.

I'm sorry to say so but there isnt really much reason behind this. the reason was due to the mock grades. I know my grades arent a good indication for the real exams but i wasnt given a chance to change them but the others are :smile:
My commiserations.

Original post by asd90

I don't think there is an obvious solution that fits everyone, your future is unique to you so take some time to think things over, now is not the time to take drastic action.
Reply 10
Original post by Loolipoop
Maybe get a personal tutor.Ask your school if you can remain registered at the school in order to take real A-Level exams.If you can then it is great: study at home and go to your school for exams. One of my friend did this last year: he did the same subjects like you but in mock got ABCC,so his parents decided to get personal tutors for him (i.e the difference between you and him is that he is not kicked out but chose to stay at home). Also he is a bit naughty at school yes but seldom break the rules, so I hope what you are saying is exactly the situation you are in at your school: I don't think schools will simply kick you off because of mock results.
Make the most of your time at home if you have to stay at home: he did better in the real exams eventually, A* in maths in particular.
So honestly don't lose hope but keep working and ask if you can remain registered at your school for exams.

I was thinking about for maths and F.m to use Exam solutions. But i havent actually asked the school regarding the exams as i want to improve my grades first then ask them as theyd probally say no because of the mocks for the time being. I know its to hard to believe but its what happened. Thankyou for the advice
Original post by asd90
I was thinking about for maths and F.m to use Exam solutions. But i havent actually asked the school regarding the exams as i want to improve my grades first then ask them as theyd probally say no because of the mocks for the time being. I know its to hard to believe but its what happened. Thankyou for the advice

NEC can help with online study towards A levels, although we don't do Further Maths. The advice given is mostly right. Practical assessment of science adds an extra cost and inconvenience, but we can offer it at some of our centres. You may find you don't need it for some Uni subjects, so consider that. Happy to chat more if you give us a call. 0800 3892839 or LiveChat on our website nec.ac.uk

Daniel
Reply 12
Original post by asd90

Is it a private or grammar school? If so, maybe they kicked you out so you wouldn't mess up their league table results.
Reply 13
Original post by catholicgirl
Is it a private or grammar school? If so, maybe they kicked you out so you wouldn't mess up their league table results.

Yes it was a grammar school, a place who only cares about top grades and not the students
Reply 14
Original post by National Extension College
NEC can help with online study towards A levels, although we don't do Further Maths. The advice given is mostly right. Practical assessment of science adds an extra cost and inconvenience, but we can offer it at some of our centres. You may find you don't need it for some Uni subjects, so consider that. Happy to chat more if you give us a call. 0800 3892839 or LiveChat on our website nec.ac.uk

Daniel

Hi I had a look at the website, Unfortunately, i don't have the right amount of funds to take the course.
Reply 15
Original post by asd90
Yes it was a grammar school, a place who only cares about top grades and not the students

Ask them if you could still take your exams but they enter you as an 'external candidate' (your results will not affect their league tables).

When I was in sixth form some students were given this option due to poor mock results and they had to pay for their exams.
Reply 16
Original post by catholicgirl
Ask them if you could still take your exams but they enter you as an 'external candidate' (your results will not affect their league tables).

When I was in sixth form some students were given this option due to poor mock results and they had to pay for their exams.

Okay will do, do you know how much it could cost with my subjects, for maths and f.m exam board is edexcel and the sciences its aqa
Reply 17
Original post by asd90
Okay will do, do you know how much it could cost with my subjects, for maths and f.m exam board is edexcel and the sciences its aqa

When I was in sixth form people had to pay £90 per exam, it may be different at your school.

Quick Reply

Latest