The Student Room Group

Less chance of love at Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paulkonchesky
everything you believe is true mate, i once studied geography at Gonville and Caius college and i faced the same problem. All the females in my class were too focused on their studies to even start a conversation at the dinner table, it really affected me emotionally, but i wish you all the best, it was very hard to go through...

Maybe you should just go to Manchester Met instead, I'm sure you'll find love there (single mums):u::u:

When were you there?
I know a Geographer at Caius, but her experience is not like yours.......

Edit:
Actually I know another one. Just remembered a younger brother of my daughter's friend was also a caius geographer. And I've heard he was very happy there.
Caius is not particularly big college for geography anyway, so probably what you happened to have as your fellow students in your year we're just happened to be like that. Chemistry of students and atmosphere of college can change every year......
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Tootles
:lolwut:

I'm sorry, did they change the reason why you go to university while I wasn't looking?

If you want to socialize and fall in love, work at Morrison's and just go out every night. Cause, y'know, getting a degree might get in the way of that.

I doubt working at Morrison's would provide any opportunity to meet intelligent young people. Also 'going out every night' is not the way I would want to form a serious relationship with anyone.

Do you think it impractical to study for a degree and have a relationship with a fellow student? Why?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by vincrows
When were you there?

Glad to hear that.
Reply 23
Original post by Bunratty
Do you think it impractical to study for a degree and have a relationship with a fellow student? Why?

No. Because I have one.
Reply 24
Original post by alow
No. Because I have one.

Thank you for posting. I am hoping that Cambridge is a normal place for young people to meet people they are attracted to, and form loving relationships, despite the silly, shallow, puerile responses initially posted.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
I met my wife while we were both undergraduates at Cambridge. Plenty of our friends did the same.

Thank you for your post. Yes that is what I have heard from the older generations. I am hoping it still holds true.
Glad to hear that.

Good. :smile:

And just add some more, all the recent (in relative term. I mean last 10/15 yrs) Cambridge students I've known who are/were in relationship during at Cambridge met their BF/GF at Cambridge, except for a few who'd already in relationship when they started and continued it throughout their course there.
Some of them are still in the same relationship after they graduated.
Also all of them, except for one medic, were members of at least one club/society which they really enjoyed. So you can have a life outside your study even a place like Cambridge.

But at uni like Cambridge (or any other top unis), you're expected to put your academic commitment as your priority, so is your prospective partner. So that's not what you want, I'm sure there other universities you can spend more time and attention on your love life. :wink:
My daughter had one relationship at Cam, but he dropped out and their relationship didn't survive the separation. Otherwise, she studied about 60 hours per week, devoted at least ten to chorus and various theatre activities, and the rest of the time hung out with friends. It is an intense place, she was constantly exhausted, but into everything.
When were you there?

started in 2010 dude
Reply 29
Good. :smile:

And just add some more, all the recent (in relative term. I mean last 10/15 yrs) Cambridge students I've known who are/were in relationship during at Cambridge met their BF/GF at Cambridge, except for a few who'd already in relationship when they started and continued it throughout their course there.
Some of them are still in the same relationship after they graduated.
Also all of them, except for one medic, were members of at least one club/society which they really enjoyed. So you can have a life outside your study even a place like Cambridge.

But at uni like Cambridge (or any other top unis), you're expected to put your academic commitment as your priority, so is your prospective partner. So that's not what you want, I'm sure there other universities you can spend more time and attention on your love life. :wink:

Obviously the reason to go to a top university is to get a good degree and work hard. However, I don't see that that should require little or no normal interaction with members of the opposite sex. Part of being happy is having a close relationship while succeeding at study and career. I simply wanted to know that that will be possible. One should not stop the other.
When were you there?

Edit:
Actually I know another one. Just remembered a younger brother of my daughter's friend was also a caius geographer. And I've heard he was very happy there.
Caius is not particularly big college for geography anyway, so probably what you happened to have as your fellow students in your year we're just happened to be like that. Chemistry of students and atmosphere of college can change every year......

There were a lot of really bad experiences there and unfortunately I was on the receiving end of it all.
started in 2010 dude

Seen my edit above?

Yep, she was there when you were there. A couple of years below you. :wink:

And I'm not dude.......:tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by alcibiade
My daughter had one relationship at Cam, but he dropped out and their relationship didn't survive the separation. Otherwise, she studied about 60 hours per week, devoted at least ten to chorus and various theatre activities, and the rest of the time hung out with friends. It is an intense place, she was constantly exhausted, but into everything.

That is great! Just what I want, well apart from the dropping out and separation obviously.

I hope she is happy now and doing well in career and life.
There were a lot of really bad experiences there and unfortunately I was on the receiving end of it all.

Very sorry to hear that.
Was it mainly with those fellow students, or left at Caius/Cambridge in general?
Seen my edit above?

Yep, she was there when you were there. A couple of years below you. :wink:

And I'm not dude.......:tongue:

she was a lucky one then, tbh I don't really wanna talk about what I went through because it makes me too sad so yeah.
Reply 35

I'm sorry to hear that. But that could happen at any university, and isn't necessarily the fault of Cambridge culture.
(edited 7 years ago)
Obviously the reason to go to a top university is to get a good degree and work hard. However, I don't see that that should require little or no normal interaction with members of the opposite sex. Part of being happy is having a close relationship while succeeding at study and career. I simply wanted to know that that will be possible. One should not stop the other.

Nobody is suggesting or even implying you can only choose one. :wink:
Just saying you may not be able to spend so much of,your time/attention (esp. time) on relationship as much as if you were at less demanding environment.
It's not black OR white. :wink:
Reply 37
she was a lucky one then, tbh I don't really wanna talk about what I went through because it makes me too sad so yeah.

I apologize for awakening painful memories, and hope that your life has turned out fine despite the bad experience.
Reply 38
Nobody is suggesting or even implying you can only choose one. :wink:
Just saying you may not be able to spend so much of,your time/attention (esp. time) on relationship as much as if you were at less demanding environment.
It's not black OR white. :wink:

So, your answer to my thread question is - yes, but perhaps not significantly so.
That is great! Just what I want, well apart from the dropping out and separation obviously.

I hope she is happy now and doing well in career and life.

She is doing really well, in her first year in grad school. With the intensive training she got at Cam, she is disciplined and can really write well and fast. If anything, her inspiration and focus have matured. She also get into the London Philharmonic Choir, we will see her sing in Carmina Burana in a month. We don't know much about her personal life anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending