The Student Room Group

Will a low fat diet help me lose weight? Vs calorie counting

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Has society at large always been overweight/obese?
Is eating meat a new thing?
Would it be fair to say the majority of the healthiest people in our society (athletes etc) eat meat?

Just wondering.
Original post by M1011
Has society at large always been overweight/obese?
Is eating meat a new thing?
Would it be fair to say the majority of the healthiest people in our society (athletes etc) eat meat?

Just wondering.

Bro, you've forgotten that vegans know science bro. So what they say is correct 60% of the time everytime.

Like i said, you have the lower body and no upper body you got a problem building... Wait a minute. You got the upper body but no legs, you got a problem building your legs. You have the upper, you have the lower and you don't have the upper body. The upper body, it is easier to build. So if you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, it is easier to build the upper body. You have the upper body and you don't have the legs then you got a problem building the lower body. No, you don't understand. You have the upper body but you don't have the lower body, you got a problem building downstairs. You got the up, legs on the bottom. It is easier to build on top so you don't have much as a problem, yeah. Kpeaceoutbye
Original post by Angry cucumber
No you need to learn how to eat a normal balanced diet, just less of it. A great place to start is reading the FAQ and using Myfitnesspal calorie counter. If you don't cook, learning how to cook for yourself is a awesome way of helping you to lose weight

You've managed to say in your post

- Fat is evil
- Relatively high fat foods such as meat, fish and eggs are good
- Carbs in the form of vegetables are good
- Protein is evil
- Carbs are evil
- Dairy is evil

Solid

They asked whether they'd loose weight on a low fat diet or not and I answered.

At no point did I refer to any food group as 'evil', I actaully emphasised the need for carbs and reccomended eating starchy vegetables as they're less likely to be full of fattening refined sugars like their processed counterpart :-)

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make- i was simply sharing advice from personal experience. So yeah, apologies about that and next time I'll keep my opinions to myself!
Original post by fergijane88
They asked whether they'd loose weight on a low fat diet or not and I answered.

At no point did I refer to any food group as 'evil', I actaully emphasised the need for carbs and reccomended eating starchy vegetables as they're less likely to be full of fattening refined sugars like their processed counterpart :-)

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make- i was simply sharing advice from personal experience. So yeah, apologies about that and next time I'll keep my opinions to myself!

I don't think he meant to come across as so harsh.

The middle part of your post was ok but:

I firmly disagree with your sentence that

'fat intake is much more important than calorie intake'

Less calories in that you expend = weight loss. Simple.

Lose weight = weight loss.

Calories above everything (if it is simply a discussion about weightloss/weight gain)

Also you don't need to cut out anything. Dairy should not be cut out.

Carbs should be most heavily reduced, i agree but just eat less. Simple as that.

I don't understand this craze about hating on fat. Fat is needed.

99.999999% of people wanting to lose weight are not 2 weeks out from the Olympia and therefore calories in vs calories out is all they need to know.

If they can't be bothered tracking their calories then that says it all.

Any kind of 'diet' inevitably leads to them returning to their previous ways afterwards
(edited 7 years ago)
That old phrase "correlation =/= causation" comes to mind. Though, it actually IS a coincidence, is the thing. Not even in the sense that people have started to eat more meat and obesity has risen, because the former isn't the case. We've always been a nation of meat eaters, as are the majority of nations. Obesity is rising as we progress through the decades, yet the vegan and vegetarian populations in this country are also increasing. If you look back to the hunter-gatherer days, the majority of the diet of our ancestors was made up of meat. They very likely weren't obese or even overweight.

Obesity comes from our increasingly lazy culture, in which technology is making us sit on our backsides more than we ever have, plus the fact that easy-to-prepare and tasty junk food is so cheap and more available to us than ever before.

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Fat is very calorific. If you avoid fat and otherwise eat normally, you'll probably be eating a somewhat lower-calorie diet.

Meat, dairy, and eggs tend to contain more fat and more calories per gram than beans, nuts, and veg, so I'd stand by the other vegans in this thread and say that a vegan diet is a good one if you want to lose weight.

Mostly true, but fats are a more satiating macronutrient than carbohydrates. Dietary fats are also vital for various bodily functions, whereas our body doesn't need carbs to function. Not that I advocate a low carb diet or low anything diet, I prefer something more balanced, but low fat is never a great idea for any considerable length of time.
Original post by Unistudent77
I don't think he meant to come across as so harsh.

The middle part of your post was ok but:

I firmly disagree with your sentence that

'fat intake is much more important than calorie intake'

Less calories in that you expend = weight loss. Simple.

Lose weight = weight loss.

Calories above everything (if it is simply a discussion about weightloss/weight gain)

Also you don't need to cut out anything. Dairy should not be cut out.

Carbs should be most heavily reduced, i agree but just eat less. Simple as that.

I don't understand this craze about hating on fat. Fat is needed.

99.999999% of people wanting to lose weight are not 2 weeks out from the Olympia and therefore calories in vs calories out is all they need to know.

If they can't be bothered tracking their calories then that says it all.

Any kind of 'diet' inevitably leads to them returning to their previous ways afterwards

my jesus. where and when did I say fat is bad?!
It's more important to be aware of your fat intake than your calorie intake because it matters what kind of calories you're consuming. Calories in v calories out works but if you're eating 100 cal of chocolate then hitting the gym to burn 100 cals it's not as heatlhy as if you were to do the same with good food
As for dairy, I cut it out almost completely and saw a huge difference so as I said, just advice from personal experience.
Original post by fergijane88
my jesus. where and when did I say fat is bad?!
It's more important to be aware of your fat intake than your calorie intake because it matters what kind of calories you're consuming. Calories in v calories out works but if you're eating 100 cal of chocolate then hitting the gym to burn 100 cals it's not as heatlhy as if you were to do the same with good food
As for dairy, I cut it out almost completely and saw a huge difference so as I said, just advice from personal experience.

It doesn't matter where your calories are coming from when talking about weight loss.
It may not be 'healthy' to do what you describe but it's an effective way to lose weight.
So i firmly disagree with you re importance of fat intake vs calorie intake. With regard to weight loss then calories ARE ALL THAT MATTERS.

If you want to be very healthy as well then you can track fat intake etc but for most people wanting to lose weight (who are not bodybuilders) DO NOT need to get confused with fat intake and hate fat. Cut the fat from their diet, feel like death. Fail their diet. Repeat.

Tbh if you hit your macros and have had decent meal or two with decent vitamins etc then there is nothing wrong with eating rubbish after that.

Ok, internal fat you'll say but realistically if your bf% is low enough then that will regulate your visceral fat (to a degree ie within reason)

As Woody expertly said above, fat provides fuel for many functions, carbs none.

Well ok fair but if you told me that advice i would simply fail the diet. I love dairy.

When cutting i would simply drink less milk, less chocolate etc. Reduce but not eliminate my carbs. Plenty water. Job done
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
never known a person to not lose weight from reducing their calories
i mean kids in africa are skinny for a reason...
the less you eat, the less fat you'll be
Reply 28
You have the lower body and you have no upper body, you got a problem building...wait a minute. You have the upper body, and you have no legs, you got a problem building your legs. You have the upper...you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, the upper body, it is easier to build. So if you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, it is easier to build the upper body. You have the upper body and you don't have the legs, you got a problem building the lower body... No, you don't understand. You have the upper body, but you don't have the lower body, you got a problem building downstairs. You got the up- legs on the bottom, it is easier to build on the top, so you don't have much as a problem. Yeah.
Original post by ILoveVoe
You have the lower body and you have no upper body, you got a problem building...wait a minute. You have the upper body, and you have no legs, you got a problem building your legs. You have the upper...you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, the upper body, it is easier to build. So if you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, it is easier to build the upper body. You have the upper body and you don't have the legs, you got a problem building the lower body... No, you don't understand. You have the upper body, but you don't have the lower body, you got a problem building downstairs. You got the up- legs on the bottom, it is easier to build on the top, so you don't have much as a problem. Yeah.

Nice copy and paste mate 👍🏻
Original post by Airfairy
I know that sounds like a stupid question, but all I hear is about watching calories or carbs, I don't hear so much about the actual fat content.

I'm asking because I got put on Orlistat today, which for those who aren't aware is a weight loss medication where if you eat above the daily fat limit you get a leaky bum :awesome: . So I will be sticking to the 12g or below per meal! However I am aware that it will not necessarily mean things are low calorie. I guess I just wanted to know of being on a low fat diet is enough in itself.

I'm on a course called Intermittent Fasting.

Basically, you fast for 16 hours of the day and eat in an eating window consisting of 7/8 hours. It works quite well, idk how but it just does. Lots of success stories around.

Of course staying under your carbs and fat content will help as well as having less calories.

My case goes like: Eating Window between 12-7 when I can eat, for the rest of the day I cannot eat, it's easier than you think as you're asleep for a lot of the time.

For more info check out the Fasting Twins on YT (they're the HodgetTwins)
Original post by ILoveVoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBm2y0cS5IM
Original post by PhilipG1
I'm on a course called Intermittent Fasting.

Basically, you fast for 16 hours of the day and eat in an eating window consisting of 7/8 hours. It works quite well, idk how but it just does. Lots of success stories around.

Whilst there are numerous health benefits to fasting, in terms of weight loss, the results purely come from the fact that it aids calorie control.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Whilst there are numerous health benefits to fasting, in terms of weight loss, the results purely come from the fact that it aids calorie control.

What health benefits come from fasting? (Just curious)
What health benefits come from fasting? (Just curious)

Here's a good article that cites numerous sources.
https://authoritynutrition.com/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting/

I personally quite like the 5:2 style of IF to kickstart a cut, allows me to just pick two days a week when I know I have nothing on and then eat very little on those days and sleep it off, then the other 5 days a week I can just eat at maintenance and get on with my life without feeling hungry all the time. Creates enough of a weekly deficit to lose a solid 3-4lbs a week to start with.
Here's a good article that cites numerous sources.
https://authoritynutrition.com/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting/

I personally quite like the 5:2 style of IF to kickstart a cut, allows me to just pick two days a week when I know I have nothing on and then eat very little on those days and sleep it off, then the other 5 days a week I can just eat at maintenance and get on with my life without feeling hungry all the time. Creates enough of a weekly deficit to lose a solid 3-4lbs a week to start with.

PRSOM, Cheers man!

Re your second paragraph - an interesting idea. Idk how i feel about that, surely the low day would feed into the next day as you'd be dying to eat again thus having more calories in the morning and afternoon and going to bed hungry that night despite having 'maintenance' calories.

However your maintenance will be pretty high so you'll be fine. Like 3000?
PRSOM, Cheers man!

Re your second paragraph - an interesting idea. Idk how i feel about that, surely the low day would feed into the next day as you'd be dying to eat again thus having more calories in the morning and afternoon and going to bed hungry that night despite having 'maintenance' calories.

However your maintenance will be pretty high so you'll be fine. Like 3000?

:top:

Nah, it's pretty much all the same once you've got breakfast down you. You're always gonna wake up hungry coming off a fast while you slept anyways, plus you were spot on with my 3000 maintenance and I tend to eat 1000kcal at breakfast (then 500 in another 4 meals throughout the day) which includes a shake with all sorts in it, so plenty of nutrition coming off the fast that always gets rid of my body's craving for anything I missed the day before.
:top:

Nah, it's pretty much all the same once you've got breakfast down you. You're always gonna wake up hungry coming off a fast while you slept anyways, plus you were spot on with my 3000 maintenance and I tend to eat 1000kcal at breakfast (then 500 in another 4 meals throughout the day) which includes a shake with all sorts in it, so plenty of nutrition coming off the fast that always gets rid of my body's craving for anything I missed the day before.

Ahhh ok fair. Not bad at all...

How low is a low calorie day? 500? Suppose you could do a fakr bit of cardio to help out

5:2 sounds ok tbh
EDIT: Woops, intermittent fasting's already been mentioned.

Either way, it's worked wonders for me and it brings about a whole other bunch of benefits.

Although it might be a tad bit difficult to get into, especially while trying to maintain a caloric deficit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Caius Filimon
EDIT: Woops, intermittent fasting's already been mentioned.

Either way, it's worked wonders for me and it brings about a whole other bunch of benefits.

Although it might be a tad bit difficult to get into, especially while trying to maintain a caloric deficit.

I'm finding it simple with a 12 to 7 eating window.

I've set out my meals for the day with a 1,286 intake, 134g of protein, half my daily carb intake, a quarter of my sugar intake and a quarter of my fat intake. Normally stays like that every day. Praise tuna mayo for lunches

Quick Reply