The Student Room Group

LSE Govt & Econ

I was wondering what the chances of me getting into LSE's BSc Govt & Econ course are.

GCSEs:

Maths: A
English Lit: A
English Lang: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
ICT: A
Geography: A
Applied Business: AB
Religious Studies: B
Biology: B
Spanish: B

A-levels:

Economics: A*

EPQ (on trade policy/economics): A*
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by janedott23
I was wondering what the chances of me getting into LSE's BSc Govt & Econ course are.

GCSEs:

A-levels:

It would help if you provided essential information such as the entry requirements and clarify whether your A-levels are predictions or achieved grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
GCSEs Achieved
A-levels Predicted
EPQ Achieved

Entry Requirements: AAA including Maths.

I know that I would be meeting the requirements but my question was asking whether my GCSE and A-level profile would be competitive enough. I heard LSE are very picky about GCSEs and they expect at least 6 A* (I've only got 8 As and 4 Bs). Also the lack of Further Maths and also Maths being predicted at A instead of A*.
GCSEs Achieved
A-levels Predicted
EPQ Achieved

I know that I would be meeting the requirements but my question was asking whether my GCSE and A-level profile would be competitive enough. I heard LSE are very picky about GCSEs and they expect at least 6 A* (I've only got 8 As and 4 Bs). Also the lack of Further Maths and also Maths being predicted at A instead of A*.

A tricky one. As you say, your A-level predictions are higher than the minimum but they probably have candidates with better GCSEs.

LSE are known to look closely at personal statements so perhaps that will be the deciding factor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSEs Achieved
A-levels Predicted
EPQ Achieved

What did you get in your AS?
Reply 5
AAB at AS
Reply 6
bump
bump

No one can answer this for you with anything other than wild guesses.

You'll find out in the next month or so directly from LSE.

GCSEs:

A-levels:

You have a very slim chance of getting into the LSE for that course (or indeed virtually any undergraduate course) with those GCSE grades. I know several people with far better GCSEs (think mostly A*s) who were rejected for government and economics.

I don't like being the bearer of bad news but you would be better off going for a less competitive university as I think the choice of the LSE application would be wasted.

I post these responses occasionally and people get pissed off and try and contradict me, but I honestly think it's kinder to tell the truth and suggest people apply for a course they have a better chance at getting in for. You could always get into a less prestigious university for undergrad, do really well and then go to the LSE for postgrad.

Good luck and sorry this post is not what you want to hear.
Reply 9
Hi,

Just want to get an idea of what my chances would be like relative to other people. My grades are:

GCSE:
Maths A*
Further Maths A
Core science A*
Additional science A*
Eng lang A*
Eng lit A*
History A*
IT A*
Economics A*
Spanish A*
French A*
RE A*

AS:
Economics A
Maths A
Spanish A
Eng lit A

A-Level:
Economics A
Maths A
Spanish A
EPQ (financial inequality in football) A

The thing that makes me uncertain is that i have taken a gap year. I have been proactive (job in finance at local council, back at school mentoring and helping with Erasmus+, E-learning etc) and this is all said in my personal statement, but idk if they will dislike the gap year, or if my A levels are strong enough to begin with (i know they meet the entry requirements but this is LSE we're talking about 10 people per place meet the requirements). My GCSE's are good but I'm not sure how crucial that is. Just wanted some opinions from other people. Also i don't know about timescales eg when to hear back etc so maybe others can give more info on that.

Good luck to everyone who's applied!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending