The Student Room Group

How bad is gambling for your health

On a scale of 1-10
Its only harmful if you make it harmful, if you have the disposable income and you can control how much you spend ie setting a limit of lets say £50 and sticking to it then its not harmful at all and probably reinforces self control. But if you get your paycheck and work out you are barely making by but still decide to gamble then you might need to get professional help
Reply 2
Original post by Casisalive
Its only harmful if you make it harmful, if you have the disposable income and you can control how much you spend ie setting a limit of lets say £50 and sticking to it then its not harmful at all and probably reinforces self control. But if you get your paycheck and work out you are barely making by but still decide to gamble then you might need to get professional help

That's true what goes your on benefits and gamble like £40 a day and your borrowing money from family
Once you start borrowing money to recover from gambling losses its pretty much an addiction at that point, there is plenty of places you can get help for gambling addiction, some sites http://www.gamcare.org.uk/ , http://www.gambleaware.co.uk/confidential-support-and-advice . But dont try to do it alone, you may say oh im only gonna spend half of what i did yesterday and make my way to 0 but it isnt that easy its like quitting cigarettes i thought i could just gradually reduce them day by day but for some people like myself its hard to practice self control. Just remember you dont have to do it alone and there is loads of people willing to help you but only if you are willing to help yourself
Reply 4
Once you start borrowing money to recover from gambling losses its pretty much an addiction at that point, there is plenty of places you can get help for gambling addiction, some sites http://www.gamcare.org.uk/ , http://www.gambleaware.co.uk/confidential-support-and-advice . But dont try to do it alone, you may say oh im only gonna spend half of what i did yesterday and make my way to 0 but it isnt that easy its like quitting cigarettes i thought i could just gradually reduce them day by day but for some people like myself its hard to practice self control. Just remember you dont have to do it alone and there is loads of people willing to help you but only if you are willing to help yourself

I've been trying to get help for that person she says she don't need help and she ain't addicted the funny thing is one time she won a grand and lose it acting like it's alright :s-smilie: and cigarettes are a lot cheaper to buy you can even smoke for free you can borrow cigs from strangers friends etc smoking ain't as bad as gambling in my opinion
Original post by Anonymous
I've been trying to get help for that person she says she don't need help and she ain't addicted the funny thing is one time she won a grand and lose it acting like it's alright :s-smilie: and cigarettes are a lot cheaper to buy you can even smoke for free you can borrow cigs from strangers friends etc smoking ain't as bad as gambling in my opinion

Everyone that is addicted to something will say they can quit any time they want to, but yeah cigarettes are cheaper in terms of money but the real price is paid by your body, but back to your friend it looks she has got a pretty bad addiction but she cant see what its doing to her, maybe try contact one of those websites and see if they can help you help her
I have a friend who recently lost all his money. I lent him some money and he then used it to win a 5k euro tournament. and he paid me back 300 euros extra on top of what he owed me.

Then he lost all his money again and none of his friends want to lend him any now lmao.

And ye he wants to quit but he can't. He said he'd quit the first time he lost all his money lol.

Your friend won't realise she has a problem until she loses everything. If she is lucky she won't though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Everyone that is addicted to something will say they can quit any time they want to, but yeah cigarettes are cheaper in terms of money but the real price is paid by your body, but back to your friend it looks she has got a pretty bad addiction but she cant see what its doing to her, maybe try contact one of those websites and see if they can help you help her

Yeah that's true there in denial and yeah I know your health is the most important thing, it's not my friend it's my mum actually I have contacted a website like a month back or so they do hypnosis sessions cost like £180 a session don't even know if it works is it really worth it
Reply 8
Original post by ChickenMadness
I have a friend who recently lost all his money. I lent him some money and he then used it to win a 5k euro tournament. and he paid me back 300 euros extra on top of what he owed me.

Then he lost all his money again and none of his friends want to lend him any now lmao.

And ye he wants to quit but he can't. He said he'd quit the first time he lost all his money lol.

Your friend won't realise she has a problem until she loses everything. If she is lucky she won't though.

Was it online online is the worst you can gamble anytime anywhere you just need Internet connect, if that was me I'll keep the £5k and don't gamble for a longggggg time,
Lool I know it's so hard it's like cancer soon you know it your gonna hit rock bottom
She already has lost everything it's my mum btw not my friend 5 years ago I was in bed she was downstairs crying saying what does this life have to offer it was sad 😫 :angry:
Was it online online is the worst you can gamble anytime anywhere you just need Internet connect, if that was me I'll keep the £5k and don't gamble for a longggggg time,
Lool I know it's so hard it's like cancer soon you know it your gonna hit rock bottom
She already has lost everything it's my mum btw not my friend 5 years ago I was in bed she was downstairs crying saying what does this life have to offer it was sad 😫 :angry:

ye he uses pokerstars. He gambled so much he needed other people to make accounts for him so he could play on their accounts lol. He won the 5k on my account and I sent the money to him lol.

does your mum still gamble then?
Yeah that's true there in denial and yeah I know your health is the most important thing, it's not my friend it's my mum actually I have contacted a website like a month back or so they do hypnosis sessions cost like £180 a session don't even know if it works is it really worth it

This hypnosis thing seems a bit dodgy instead of a traditional counselling session or maybe see if your GP can arrange some sort of intervention type thing
It's been good for me, I used to do matched betting as a '''''job'''''.
ye he uses pokerstars. He gambled so much he needed other people to make accounts for him so he could play on their accounts lol. He won the 5k on my account and I sent the money to him lol.

does your mum still gamble then?

Lol that's really bad how much a day does he spend and yeah she does its alotttt worse than before
This hypnosis thing seems a bit dodgy instead of a traditional counselling session or maybe see if your GP can arrange some sort of intervention type thing

Trust me it really does and my councillor spoke to her 5 years ago she said she would stop but she hasn't the worst thing sometimes she hides the gambling btw it's online slots and what can my gp do
Lol that's really bad how much a day does he spend and yeah she does its alotttt worse than before

lol he goes up and down by the thousands. He grinds up from nothing usually and then just wastes it all in one go.

My grandad was also a gambler but he was also a rich Chinese business man. He ended up 500k in debt when he died. But at Chinese funerals people give money to the family of the deceased, and he was very popular. Half the city was at his funeral, so his family managed to pay off the debts with that. They have tally charts for all the rich Chinese people to show off who donated the most lol.

Tbh my friend is good at poker, I know him from when I used to play in video game tournaments, he was one of the other players. So he's quite intelligent. He could make a living off poker if he wasn't so wreckless and impatient. Wasting loads of money in one go all the time.
(edited 7 years ago)
lol he goes up and down by the thousands. He grinds up from nothing usually and then just wastes it all in one go.

My grandad was also a gambler but he was also a rich Chinese business man. He ended up 500k in debt when he died. But at Chinese funerals people give money to the family of the deceased, and he was very popular. Half the city was at his funeral, so his family managed to pay off the debts with that. They have tally charts for all the rich Chinese people to show off who donated the most lol.

Tbh my friend is good at poker, I know him from when I used to play in video game tournaments, he was one of the other players. So he's quite intelligent. He could make a living off poker if he wasn't so wreckless and impatient. Wasting loads of money in one go all the time.

Does he gamble £1k daily, that's the worst thing if you get something and you lose it, if your a business man that's alright you got money to waste 500k is a lot to be in debt, sorry for your lose, that's alright people donated money didn't know Chinese funerals where like that and is poker hard mum plays slots he should manage his money better then he could gain a lot of profit
Original post by l'etranger
It's been good for me, I used to do matched betting as a '''''job'''''.

Really did you lose a lot
Really did you lose a lot

No, I made profit. I didn't even do it for the money, I just liked the idea of a) getting one over the system and b) having a cooler '''''job''''' than my friends doing ******** student jobs.
Original post by l'etranger
No, I made profit. I didn't even do it for the money, I just liked the idea of a) getting one over the system and b) having a cooler '''''job''''' than my friends doing ******** student jobs.

I guess your lucky what's your strategies

Quick Reply

Latest