The Student Room Group

Too late to pick up A level physics?

Just realised that I pretty much need physics for a uni course, currently studying 4 AS', is it too late to start physics???
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Amusing Elk so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by musicchem
Just realised that I pretty much need physics for a uni course, currently studying 4 AS', is it too late to start physics???

What university course do you wish to study?

How many and what grades did you get for your GCSE's (be honest).
What are your other AS subjects?

Depending on the grade you wish to obtain, unless you are exceptionally bright and organised, I think you would potentially dilute your current AS chances by starting at this late stage. You have about 4 to 5 months to learn the subject matter, execute experiments, compete revision and practice papers on top of your other subjects.

Seems like a risky strategy. It is possible, but also look at other options for getting onto the uni' course you want.

You could replace one of your AS subjects, but there are still no guarantees you would be able to do the Physics AS justice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by uberteknik
What university course do you wish to study?

How many and what grades did you get for your GCSE's (be honest).
What are your other AS subjects?

Unless you are exceptionally bright and organised, I think you would be jeopardising all of your AS chances by starting at this late stage. You have about 4 to 5 months to learn the subject matter, execute experiments, compete revision and practice papers on top of your other subjects.

Seems like a very risky strategy.

You could replace one of your AS subjects, but there are still no guarantees you would be able to do the Physics AS justice.

I got 5A*'s, 5A's and 1B in GCSEs (A*'s in maths & science, that B was in a language) .

I do chemistry, biology, maths & music at AS
Original post by musicchem
I got 5A*'s, 5A's and 1B in GCSEs (A*'s in maths & science, that B was in a language) .

I do chemistry, biology, maths & music at AS

Hmmmm....
Go for it. You have all the resources you could ever need online. Watch videos and you'll be fine. I do AQA physics. Can send you notes if you want.
IGNORE ALL THE DISCOURAGEMENT YOU MAY RECEIVE. YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU ARE MOTIVATED ENOUGH.
To take up physics now is way too late. We were not even allowed to take up an A level after 3 weeks of the course beginning, let alone months after.
Reply 6
I'm currently doing A2 Physics and I got an A last year. I also started late, but not this late. The concepts are easy to learn but you need a lot of practice with questions and that's what takes a lot of time... if you're aiming for a B, I think you could get it but an A might be too much for you at this point.

Quick Reply

Latest