The Student Room Group

Why is there so much knife crime?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LisaNikita
What are you trying to say? That he deserved what he got? No he didn't. It was an unequal consequence for a premature action. It didn't harm the gang member in particular he just decided to defend "his honor".

No I'm just saying in general, what's your opinion on this culture? And why do you think someone would want to get involved in it?
Original post by zayn008
No I'm just saying in general, what's your opinion on this culture? And why do you think someone would want to get involved in it?

Its not a culture. It happens all the time in social media. When you rebuff a comment or remark made by someone. Its what the offended did afterwards. Took a life. Mind you this person was in set 7 for all his subjects, got U's in his mocks in year 10. I think it was jealousy too. But then my cousin is quite blunt he would have at most told him to his face that he was stupid or something. Either way that you could expect a beat up. Not an actual death.
This.

Recently there's been a huge surge in knife crime, particularly in London but also in other UK cities. I feel that one of the reasons is the budget cuts to the police, funding has dropped by nearly 25% in the past few years. The police themselves say that they no longer have the time for pro-active patrolling, and instead only have time to attend 999 calls (which they're struggling to do as it is).

Also, there's been some concern over misuse of stop and search, although to be honest, people have been too harsh on the police in this respect. A lot of people jump on the bandwagon and label legitimate stop and searches as racist etc. Police officers I know, have therefore said that they don't do many stop and searches anymore (a few police officers don't do them at all anymore!) as they feel like the government and police leaders are pandering to anger from a minority, and therefore discouraging police officers from doing stop and searches. In fact, Theresa May threatened to remove stop and search powers completely, some time ago - it's just political. People therefore feel that they can carry knives without being caught, much like using mobile phones while driving.
Its not a culture. It happens all the time in social media. When you rebuff a comment or remark made by someone. Its what the offended did afterwards. Took a life. Mind you this person was in set 7 for all his subjects, got U's in his mocks in year 10. I think it was jealousy too. But then my cousin is quite blunt he would have at most told him to his face that he was stupid or something. Either way that you could expect a beat up. Not an actual death.

Seems like there is indeed a culture of violence as you have said above.
Stop and searches are pointless, educating the youth and keeping them out of this "gang life" is what is needed. You take their knife but they still hold the same mentality
Original post by James255
This.

Recently there's been a huge surge in knife crime, particularly in London but also in other UK cities. I feel that one of the reasons is the budget cuts to the police, funding has dropped by nearly 25% in the past few years. The police themselves say that they no longer have the time for pro-active patrolling, and instead only have time to attend 999 calls (which they're struggling to do as it is).

Also, there's been some concern over misuse of stop and search, although to be honest, people have been too harsh on the police in this respect. A lot of people jump on the bandwagon and label legitimate stop and searches as racist etc. Police officers I know, have therefore said that they don't do many stop and searches anymore (a few police officers don't do them at all anymore!) as they feel like the government and police leaders are pandering to anger from a minority, and therefore discouraging police officers from doing stop and searches. In fact, Theresa May threatened to remove stop and search powers completely, some time ago - it's just political. People therefore feel that they can carry knives without being caught, much like using mobile phones while driving.

Its not just the amount of funding cuts, it is the characters of people from what i see online i would make it practically impossible for blacks to buy knifes , here in the midlands we hear about no end of stabbings and shootings where a black man has shot or stabbed a black man over a non payment for drugs what is the common denominator in most cases it is a black thing. Cutting police slows down the response but stops absolutley nothing. The way forward is to make it that you need ID and you have to register your knife GPS sensors fitted into knifes will do the trick and when you leave the house it notifies the police and they can get on to you- all existing knifes should be called in and melted.
Reply 26
Original post by BritNProud
Integration causes a LOT of knife crime. If you look at the West Midlands Police Facebook page any crime to do with knives the perpetrator is black in most cases but then again thats a general thing across all crimes.

Successful integration reduces knife (and general) crimes, ackshually
Reply 27
They're readily available and there's plenty of violent people around. Similar to the problem with guns in US
Original post by h3rmit
Successful integration reduces knife (and general) crimes, ackshually

If we did not allow riffraff in then we would not have to put up with it,just have a look at the WMP on facebook every knife crime in the last month bar one to what i have seen has been done by a black.
Reply 29

Yeah I get it, especially when you're that age, you'd just see it as banter or some meaningless feud. Sorry for your loss he sounded like a guy with a great future ahead :frown: a shame idiots like the offender even exist, hopefully prison will teach him a lesson.
'Coz we're vikings.
For kids these days, apparently Knifes are cooler than SUPER COOL Gel Ink Pens :rofl:
Reply 32
If we did not allow riffraff in then we would not have to put up with it,just have a look at the WMP on facebook every knife crime in the last month bar one to what i have seen has been done by a black.

OK, but that's not related to your original claim. You seem to be champing at the bit to inject your political agenda into the discussion.
Original post by h3rmit
OK, but that's not related to your original claim. You seem to be champing at the bit to inject your political agenda into the discussion.

Find a story about knife crime in the UK on the internet , i can guarantee you with a 70% chance the article you click on the police are looking for a black man hence why i said them trying and failing to be integrated into British society means that they need to stab or shoot innocent people for their own personal achievement, they are lawless they need to settle things outside the law such as police, court .etc they do not understand our country and a lot of the times it is drug related, nothing new emerging here...
Find a story about knife crime in the UK on the internet , i can guarantee you with a 70% chance the article you click on the police are looking for a black man hence why i said them trying and failing to be integrated into British society means that they need to stab or shoot innocent people for their own personal achievement, they are lawless they need to settle things outside the law such as police, court .etc they do not understand our country and a lot of the times it is drug related, nothing new emerging here...

This is pretty racist. Thanks for generalizing my community.
This is pretty racist. Thanks for generalizing my community.

if you look at national statistics it is accurate.

This isn't true.
Reply 37

Seems like you're assuming correlation = causation.
Original post by Casisalive
Stop and searches are pointless, educating the youth and keeping them out of this "gang life" is what is needed. You take their knife but they still hold the same mentality

I agree with you that education and getting people out of gangs is extremely important and probably the most effective intervention. However, I don't agree that stop and search is pointless. In some cases people have been prevented from carrying out stabbings as they have been found with knives right before the incident. This normally happens at big events like at the Notting Hill Carnival. They can then be sanctioned, and when caught a few times, they may be sent to prison. While prison has been shown to be ineffective at rehabilitating people, while people are locked up, they can't mix with society. However, deterrence is the main thing. If people knew they would be caught, they'd be less inclined to carry a knife (yes, I know this isn't true for everyone).

The statistics show that there's been a positive correlation with the decreasing amounts of stop searches and the amount of knife crime.

Shocking amounts of big knives are being found on youths in London, look at Commander John Sutherland's twitter account (@policecommander). He regularly tweets about knife crime and knife seizures.
This isn't true.

Yes it is

Look at the office for national statistics it is not just knife crime the prison population of blacks is higher then any other group apart from maybe mongrels
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/480250/bulletin.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending