The Student Room Group

Is this illegal?

(Didn't know what forum to put this in)

Is it illegal to put up posters in my town protesting a homophobic organisation- who have a shop in my town- if I use blue tack rather than wallpaper paste like many flyposters usually do? The language would be non offensive, stating only the facts from reliable sources.

Scroll to see replies

Just go whole hog and spraypaint "We're a bunch of homophobic *****!!!" across the shop window in big red letters. Should get the message across.
no, I don't think it is. what organisation is it?
Reply 3
Original post by fnsb

Is it illegal to put up posters in my town protesting a homophobic organisation- who have a shop in my town- if I use blue tack rather than wallpaper paste like many flyposters usually do? The language would be non offensive, stating only the facts from reliable sources.

It's a free country you have the right to protest. Although i wouldn't recommend attacking individuals also is the organisation a business?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Eob274
It's a free country you have the right to protest. Although i would recommend attacking individuals also is the organisation a business?

For a lawyer you are quite ill minded. Good luck in the "career" you've chosen. Or are you waiting for your first case
Reply 5
if it's realiable, honest facts then no i can't see any harm

though if you're asked to take them down by the council you're going to have to

and please don't put anything stupidly offensive on it or they'll probably try and come after you on grounds of libel
Reply 6
Original post by fnsb

Depends where you are posting them on. You can't post it on buildings without permission, or public structures such as lamp posts without the local council's authority.

Original post by Eob274
It's a free country you have the right to protest.

Yes we all have a right to protest, but that does not mean we can disobey the law.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Eob274
It's a free country you have the right to protest. Although i would recommend attacking individuals also is the organisation a business?

Not a business, no. It's the Salvation Army- so a charity. They have a history of homophobia, I feel it's my right to let people know about this because I think people donate without knowing this organisations values. It'd simply be "It's okay to be gay posters" and quotes from the Salvation Army from when they said gay people weren't allowed to be SA officers. And also pointing out that Paul O'Grady was not allowed to wear his Salvation Army uniform when he made a documentary with them on account of his sexuality.

I'm gay and I feel I should be allowed to express my discomfort and let other people know about this organisations history. ( I would not direct this protest at the volunteers, as they may not know either). I am doing other research on this but would like to know if there's anything I shouldn't do.
Reply 8
Original post by LisaNikita
For a lawyer you are quite ill minded. Good luck in the "career" you've chosen. Or are you waiting for your first case

I'm not a lawyer 😂 I never said I was? Where did you get that from?
Reply 9
Original post by kkboyk
Depends where you are posting them on. You can't post it on buildings without permission, or public structures such as lamp posts without the local council's authority.

Yes we all have a right to protest, but that does not mean we can disobey the law.

Do you know where I can post, or have a link to something that will explain all this to me?
They're allowed to have whatever views they want.
Reply 11
Original post by Havah Nagilah
They're allowed to have whatever views they want.

Actually, according to UK Law they are not allowed to discriminate because they feel like it.
Reply 12
Original post by epage
no, I don't think it is. what organisation is it?

Salvation Army.
Original post by fnsb
Actually, according to UK Law they are not allowed to discriminate because they feel like it.

Having views is not discrimination. Unless they refused a job to a gay person for the sole reason that they were gay, it is not illegal.
Reply 14
Having views is not discrimination. Unless they refused a job to a gay person for the sole reason that they were gay, it is not illegal.

They don't allow gay people to be Salvation Army officers, that's discrimination.
Original post by fnsb
They don't allow gay people to be Salvation Army officers, that's discrimination.

Because it's a Christian organisation. Leave them to practice their faith alone without forcing your views on them.
Reply 16
Because it's a Christian organisation. Leave them to practice their faith alone without forcing your views on them.

No. You just agreed that it's discrimination to turn gay people away just because they're gay. I'm not interested in you supporting homophobia, I'm interested in having my question answered. Thanks.
Original post by fnsb
No. You just agreed that it's discrimination to turn gay people away just because they're gay. I'm not interested in you supporting homophobia, I'm interested in having my question answered. Thanks.

It's amazing how you think a charitable organisation is bad just because of their views even though they raise millions.

Good luck with your social justice.
Reply 18

They had links to conversion therapy on their website. That's homophobic torture. They had these links under "sex addictions". If you support people having the gay electrocuted out of them, there's something very wrong with you. Instead of defending bigotry for the sake of it, listen to what I'm saying. Christianity is not about encouraging homophobic violence and discriminating against others. Turning gay people away because they're gay is illegal. They also have a history of turning gay and trans people away from their homeless shelters. I am against any organisation that supports violence on the LGBT community, and you should be too. There are gay christians and trans christians. There are plenty of """sins"""" in the Bible tha Christians do not view as sins. Whatsmore, scripture is open to interpretation. Having faith does not give you a free pass to behave like this.
Reply 19
It's amazing how you think a charitable organisation is bad just because of their views even though they raise millions.

Good luck with your social justice.

It's amazing how you think turning away homeless LGBT people away, encouraging electrocuting gay people, and blatantly discriminating against gay people is okay because it's being done in the name of "charity".

Good luck with not valuing LGBT lives and trying to shout down those who do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending