The Student Room Group

Is this illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Havah Nagilah
It's amazing how you think a charitable organisation is bad just because of their views even though they raise millions.

So if a group raises money for X cause, they suddenly can't be bad? The BNP have food banks for White people - does that mean you find it amazing how people think they are bad "just because of their views" even though they do charitable stuff?
Original post by Palmyra
So if a group raises money for X cause, they suddenly can't be bad? The BNP have food banks for White people - does that mean you find it amazing how people think they are bad "just because of their views" even though they do charitable stuff?

BNP are actively promoting racism.
Salvation Army do not allow LGBT officers.

Not comparable.
Reply 22
Original post by palmyra
so if a group raises money for x cause, they suddenly can't be bad? The bnp have food banks for white people - does that mean you find it amazing how people think they are bad "just because of their views" even though they do charitable stuff?

thank you!
Reply 23

Not comparable.

In short I think you go for it and put the posters up unless instructed to take them down for the council or another authority.
Reply 24

Not comparable.

The Salvation Army also have a history of racism, since you apparently don't think homophobia is an issue. But let me guess, it's okay because they're Christian?

Not comparable.

One is giving preferential treatment to one race over others, whilst the other is giving preferential treatment to one sexuality over others.

They are both just as bad as the other.
Original post by fnsb
The Salvation Army also have a history of racism, since you apparently don't think homophobia is an issue. But let me guess, it's okay because they're Christian?

"History" being the key word. The British government have a history of slavery.

Also, nice strawmen,
Reply 27
"History" being the key word. The British government have a history of slavery.

Also, nice strawmen,

Yes, they do. No one's denying that. History doesn't mean in the distant past. It's just used in this context to mean something they have done. It's recent.

But nice try trying to avoid what I'm actually telling you because you don't want to admit that you don't value gay people.
Original post by Palmyra
One is giving preferential treatment to one race over others, whilst the other is giving preferential treatment to one sexuality over others.

They are both just as bad as the other.

No they are not. If S.A were promoting homophobia by giving out fliers, holding rallies etc then they would be.
Original post by fnsb
Yes, they do. No one's denying that. History doesn't mean in the distant past. It's just used in this context to mean something they have done. It's recent.

But nice try trying to avoid what I'm actually telling you because you don't want to admit that you don't value gay people.

And? who decided how far back it has to be for it to become recent or not? Is the current UK govt responsible for slavery? No. Why should Salvation Army's current employees be responsible for the past?

Your strawmen are hilarious. Every post of yours is trying to accuse me of homophobia :lol:
No they are not. If S.A were promoting homophobia by giving out fliers, holding rallies etc then they would be.

Prior to 2010, the BNP did not allow non-Whites to become members. The Salvation Army doesn't allow homosexuals to be officers. Both of these constitute discriminatory practices, one on grounds of race and one on grounds of sexuality.

There is no difference.
Reply 31

Yes they are. They only recently removed their links to conversion therapy and this was only done because people pointed it out, not because they had a change in values. Stop blatantly ignoring what I'm telling you because you don't want to admit that you're wrong. What they are doing is homophobic. Being homophobic is an act of homophobia. Being actively homophobic is promotes anti gay discrimination. Turns out words mean things. Really makes you think.
Reply 32
And? who decided how far back it has to be for it to become recent or not? Is the current UK govt responsible for slavery? No. Why should Salvation Army's current employees be responsible for the past?

Your strawmen are hilarious. Every post of yours is trying to accuse me of homophobia :lol:

It's not the past. They ACTIVELY/PRESENTLY/CURRENTLY do not allow gay officers. They ACTIVELY/PRESENTLY/CURRENTLY turn away gay and trans people from their shelters.
Original post by fnsb
(Didn't know what forum to put this in)

Is it illegal to put up posters in my town protesting a homophobic organisation- who have a shop in my town- if I use blue tack rather than wallpaper paste like many flyposters usually do? The language would be non offensive, stating only the facts from reliable sources.

Yes it is illegal unless you have the consent of the people whose property you are placing the posters upon, be that a business or the Council. Reasonably certain you do not have that consent. It will count as Fly posting which is dealt with under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 s220-s225. If its not on anyones building i.e trees and lamposts then its an offence under s132 of the Highways Act 1980. the former has upon summary conviction a max fine of up to £2,500 and £250 for each day after conviction the posters remain, the latter £1,000 for first offence.

You should also be very careful not to libel the Salvation Army so it needs to be true. Never know in a few years time you could be on here asking about the chance of being refused uni entrance or employment due to the conviction showing up on a DBS check. the chances of you being caught imo are low.
Reply 34
Original post by 999tigger
Yes it is illegal unless you have the consent of the people whose property you are placing the posters upon, be that a business or the Council. Reasonably certain you do not have that consent. It will count as Fly posting which is dealt with under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 s220-s225. If its not on anyones building i.e trees and lamposts then its an offence under s132 of the Highways Act 1980. the former has upon summary conviction a max fine of up to £2,500 and £250 for each day after conviction the posters remain, the latter £1,000 for first offence.

You should also be very careful not to libel the Salvation Army so it needs to be true. Never know in a few years time you could be on here asking about the chance of being refused uni entrance or employment due to the conviction showing up on a DBS check. the chances of you being caught imo are low.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your response.
It doesn't sound like any criminal offences would be committed. However, this would depend on the language of the posters. If they are too extreme or use offensive language, a public order offence may be committed (see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/64/section/5).

At the beginning I misread your post and thought you wanted to distribute leaflets opposing homosexuality (I'm gay) so you made my blood boil. There was a case recently in my area where a male dressed as a monk pushed anti gay leaflets through people's letterboxes. If I remember correctly, the language was apparently very extreme and caused a lot of alarm as the male confronted a lesbian couple at the door. The police investigated and I think they tried to prosecute him but the CPS dropped the charges or something.

UPDATE: Here's the news story: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/anti-gay-monk-entitled-cause-offence-judge-rules/story-28724023-detail/story.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by James255
It doesn't sound like any criminal offences would be committed. However, this would depend on the language of the posters. If they are too extreme or use offences language, a public order offence may be committed (see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/64/section/5).

At the beginning I misread your post and thought you wanted to distribute leaflets opposing homosexuality (I'm gay). There was a case recently in my area where a male dressed as a monk pushed anti gay leaflets through people's letterboxes. If I remember correctly, the language was apparently very extreme and caused a lot of alarm as the male confronted a lesbian couple at the door. The police investigated and I think they tried to prosecute him but the CPS dropped the charges or something.

UPDATE: Here's the news story: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/anti-gay-monk-entitled-cause-offence-judge-rules/story-28724023-detail/story.html

Thank you! Putting leaflets through peoples' doors sounds like it might be better than posters-- because I was worried about being prosecuted. Leaflets genuinely didn't occur to me as an idea so I really appreciate this comment. Don't worry, I'm pro gay too. Seeing as I'm also gay :biggrin:
Perhaps if you really want to make sure it's alright, ask your local police force? If you want to remain anonymous, they may have an email address on their website, or you can call 101.

The Salvation Army don't allow homosexuals to join in this day and age? That's pretty bad, considering other Christian organisations like St John Ambulance do not have this policy. If they openly do this, that's awful.
Reply 38
Original post by James255
Perhaps if you really want to make sure it's alright, ask your local police force? If you want to remain anonymous, they may have an email address on their website, or you can call 101.

The Salvation Army don't allow homosexuals to join in this day and age? That's pretty bad, considering other Christian organisations like St John Ambulance do not have this policy. If they openly do this, that's awful.

They don't allow us to be officers unless we stay celibate. They also don't allow officers to officiate same gender marriages. It's messed up.
Reply 39
Original post by fnsb
They don't allow us to be officers unless we stay celibate. They also don't allow officers to officiate same gender marriages. It's messed up.

I'm amazed they are allowed to act like that surely it is illegal, I remember reading in the news that a baker was fined for refusing to make a gay cake, so how can they get a way with banning members from same sex marriages how can that not be discrimination.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending