The Student Room Group

Does having a girlfriend/being in love cure depression?

I've been depressed over the fact that I'm 22 years old and never had a girlfriend and I'm a massive virgin.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No it doesn't. Wtf is a 'massive virgin' anyway.
Reply 2
I feel like if I get a girlfriend, I'll be happy. Am I wrong? I mean, I just want someone to love me, and care about me. I never had a girlfriend before and I'm still a virgin.
Reply 3
Original post by Ciel.
No it doesn't. Wtf is a 'massive virgin' anyway.

Just an expression
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like if I get a girlfriend, I'll be happy. Am I wrong? I mean, I just want someone to love me, and care about me. I never had a girlfriend before and I'm still a virgin.

If you're feeling like **** just because you're a virgin, then that's not depression.
If that's the case, yeah, getting laid will 'cure' you.
No. It can be a distraction sure but it isn't the cure. I've been in a relationship two years and struggle with depression.
Reply 6
No. If you have a clinical mental health problem such as depression (not just feeling down/having a bad period), no amount of love and happiness can cure but it can certainly help improve your mood and give you a more positive perspective but ultimately love can't cure, just like it can't cure any physical problem either.
No no no the worse thing you can do is depend on someone else for your happiness.
Reply 8
Original post by Ciel.
If you're feeling like **** just because you're a virgin, then that's not depression.
If that's the case, yeah, getting laid will 'cure' you.

Well I believe depression is what contributes to my autism. I was diagnosed with it when I was 4
Reply 9
Sadly, the only thing I can think about is having a girl friend. I'm not some crazy stalker, or clingy freak, I'm just in so much pain. I need a girl who can connect with me on an intimate level, and care about me, like me for me. I don't have anyone else who can do that. The older I get, the harder it is to get someone my own age.
Reply 10
Well I believe depression is what contributes to my autism. I was diagnosed with it when I was 4

Those two things are completely unrelated, as far as I'm aware...
Original post by Ciel.
Those two things are completely unrelated, as far as I'm aware...

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/health/mental-health.aspx
Reply 12

It just says 'It is very common to have times in our lives when we feel a bit sad or low. But when these feelings last for more than a few weeks and get in the way of day-to-day functioning, this can indicate a period of depression. This is no different in a person with autism to someone without the condition.'
So how does it 'contribute' to your autism?
Being in a relationship could be what you need to improve your depression and possibly overtime overcome it however it won't immediately fix it.
I would recommend going on a dating website, it's not the most romantic way to meet someone but my parents met that way and they've worked out well. :smile:
No. I wish it did.
Original post by Ciel.
It just says 'It is very common to have times in our lives when we feel a bit sad or low. But when these feelings last for more than a few weeks and get in the way of day-to-day functioning, this can indicate a period of depression. This is no different in a person with autism to someone without the condition.'
So how does it 'contribute' to your autism?

Errugh I don't know!!! I'm not good with words, you got me.
I have often thought would being in a relationship would be a depression fixer. But then I think no woman wants to date a depressed person, they want someone who is up their and going for it. Also I might make her depressed which would be awful because you spread it.

Chin up, things could be worse, you could be 23 and virgin like someone else. I wouldn't let being a virgin get to you. Quite frankly their is so many other things on the list that are quite unachieveable then losing ones virginity. Some people value it some people want rid of it as fast as you can. I can go out and pull some drunken bird and lose it to her, but that's just not my style. If you really that worried about being depressed and single, join a new club or something. Gives you a new focus on life and you might meet some ladies. Choose something their would be someone of similar age there, you know not garden bowls.
Being in a relationship could be what you need to improve your depression and possibly overtime overcome it however it won't immediately fix it.
I would recommend going on a dating website, it's not the most romantic way to meet someone but my parents met that way and they've worked out well. :smile:

I wasted 6 years on dating sites and it's only been a few months since I quit using them. For those 6 years not many wanted to get know me so they jusge me based on my photos.
Reply 18
Errugh I don't know!!! I'm not good with words, you got me.

I was just curious. But yeah, speaking from experience, your relationship will suck if you just keep drowning your partner in your depression and sadness...
This is actually a really good topic. I wouldn't say it cures depression but it does help massively if it's the right person. Some people here are saying dating websites but honestly it won't help unless you actually love the person. Personally, falling in love was the biggest distraction for me whilst I was deep in depression. The person themselves didn't actively help apart from loving me, I was just distracted in thinking about them rather than hating life, so in that way I wasn't relying on them for happiness. Also personally I'm a virgin too but sex and those associated feelings can help ease depression or distract yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending