The Student Room Group

Would you get upset if this were you?

I don't mean to sound bratty or spoilt, I just feel like I need to get my feelings across otherwise I'm going to explode.

There are 4 people in my friendship group. Whenever it's someones birthday in our friendship group we usually go to a restaurant together. Behind the birthday girls back, we organise a birthday cake for them so then the restaurant come out singing happy birthday to them. Also, we pay for the birthday girls food bill so they don't have to pay anything.

That's what we do for all of us when it's our birthdays, and we've been doing it since last year.
However, last year and this year I didn't get my food paid for and my friend's didn't organise me a cake.
I hate to sound bratty by saying it, because I am not a bratty person. I just feel upset because the other 3 girls in my friendship group are closer to each other than they are with me, even though we all love each other a lot.

Would you get upset if they didn't organise these things for you on your birthday meal? Even if you do it for them?

Because we do it for our friends, doesn't mean we expect one back. But I've noticed that it happens to everyone on their birthdays, except from when it's mine.

This happened last week, for my 18th.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd be upset, very upset
Original post by Anonymous
I don't mean to sound bratty or spoilt, I just feel like I need to get my feelings across otherwise I'm going to explode.

There are 4 people in my friendship group. Whenever it's someones birthday in our friendship group we usually go to a restaurant together. Behind the birthday girls back, we organise a birthday cake for them so then the restaurant come out singing happy birthday to them. Also, we pay for the birthday girls food bill so they don't have to pay anything.

That's what we do for all of us when it's our birthdays, and we've been doing it since last year.
However, last year and this year I didn't get my food paid for and my friend's didn't organise me a cake.
I hate to sound bratty by saying it, because I am not a bratty person. I just feel upset because the other 3 girls in my friendship group are closer to each other than they are with me, even though we all love each other a lot.

Would you get upset if they didn't organise these things for you on your birthday meal? Even if you do it for them?

Because we do it for our friends, doesn't mean we expect one back. But I've noticed that it happens to everyone on their birthdays, except from when it's mine.

That's just horrible, feel sorry for you 😢
tell them how you feel. If your friends truly love you then they'll understand and everything will be fine.if they get *****y with you then you should find some new friends...
Stuff like this has happened to me before, you have every right to be upset and maybe you should consider talking to them about it (Or maybe they are not the right friends for you)

Happy late 18th though :redface:

there not your friends
I would speak to them all if I were you. It does seem unfair.
Reply 7
Yeah I would be upset and angry. I would speak to them about. Not getting a meal paid for me wouldn't annoy me but the fact its one rule for them and another for you would hurt me as if you are true friends, everything should be equal.
No one ever organises anything for my birthdays anyway :lol:
Unless they have some sort of surprise arranged for you in a couple of day't time.

Awww happy belated 18th sweetie! I'm sorry it didn't go as you hoped.
Yes, I would be upset, did you try telling them how you feel and would have liked something. Hopefully if it's happening unknowingly then they will be more considerate for next time. Like you said your all friends so just tell them x
Reply 11

This exact thing happened to me- I'm annoyed but I haven't mentioned it to them

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had friends like yours. I cut them off and ever since then I'm a lot happier and have found people who genuinely care. Don't waste your time on petty people.
OP - happy belated birthday!! I would be upset by that :frown: I'd probably start to slowly distance myself.
Original post by Faloodeh
Stuff like this has happened to me before, you have every right to be upset and maybe you should consider talking to them about it (Or maybe they are not the right friends for you)

Happy late 18th though :redface:

Aww, thank you :smile:

I'm sorry that you've had to go through something similar.

I plan on confronting them about it, I just don't know if I have the confidence too.
I would honestly be upset as well.. you really should talk to them soon! Maybe they just forgot somehow? It seems weird for them to do it on purpose..
Reply 16

Sorry to hear that your 18th was spoiled like that but happy late birthday!

I think you need to think about the other times you spend with them, and whether they are excluding you from other things or keeping things from you, or whether the other times you spend with them are happy. Mostly happy- you need to talk to them about this whole not paying thing, because it isn't very nice to not return the favour to you for your birthday. If they are excluding things etc you need to talk to them about this and maybe find new friends, which I know is hard, but if you will be happier, then it'll be worth it. You need to let these friends know anyhow that they are hurting you. It might seem like you are clingy, but they should not see it like that. I suppose telling them is sort of a test. I know exactly how you feel about the secrecy thing, because my friends do that too, and I just brush it off now, because it's only a couple more months and I will never see them again. But back to you. When you feel comfortable enough, tell all three of them how you feel and discuss it with them; don't feel you are being bratty, because you aren't! :smile: good luck with it all!
Just a thought (I obviously don't know you) but are you the one who organises this mostly for the others? Because if you are the organiser of it for everybody else, there may be nobody with the forward planning to do the same back for you!
Original post by georgiapullmanxx
Aww, thank you :smile:

I'm sorry that you've had to go through something similar.

I plan on confronting them about it, I just don't know if I have the confidence too.

Original post by sameehaiqbal
I had friends like yours. I cut them off and ever since then I'm a lot happier and have found people who genuinely care. Don't waste your time on petty people.

I cut mine off too :smile: I think this is the best piece of advice tbh, from experience it's also made me happier.
Best of luck OP :hugs:

I hate to say it, but they probably don't respect you as much as you hope. They probably don't "love" you as you say.That's why they have all knowingly allowed you/ made you pay for all of their birthdays. They've each organised a birthday with you yet haven't taken the initiative to organise yours which shows they don't care.

Can you think of any reason why? Have you known them for less time? You sound a lot like someone I know, and my honest conclusion is just that they are probably *****es. Sorry to assume if this is wrong but I am pretty sure I am 95% right. It probably makes their egos feel good when they thik that there's someone out there who cares for them but they don't have to care about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending