The Student Room Group

Mature Student in 2nd year

Hi,

I'm writing this on behalf on my sister.

She'll be going into the second year of her course at Manchester University in September 2017, but this year she turns 25 in August, so will SFE class her as an independent mature student? Last year, our parents income affected how much loan she got. Will this be the case this year? Or will she receive more money because this income won't be counted, and she probably won't be working herself this year? Thanks.
Original post by Voi
Hi,

I'm writing this on behalf on my sister.

She'll be going into the second year of her course at Manchester University in September 2017, but this year she turns 25 in August, so will SFE class her as an independent mature student? Last year, our parents income affected how much loan she got. Will this be the case this year? Or will she receive more money because this income won't be counted, and she probably won't be working herself this year? Thanks.

Independent student status is usually judged at the start of the course based on age alone.

However if she can prove that she was independent for 3 years before starting her course then she could be reclassified - normally that means showing a P60 (or P60U) showing that her income was above £7k for 3 (not necessarily consecutive) years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending