The Student Room Group

Stresses of Social workers life

Hi. Any social workers on here? I'm studying and starting the topic of 'how to remove children'. I honestly don't think I'd ever have the guts to do this. Want to be a social worker for the better but to have police around me and a mother/dad screaming out and them knowing I have the power to stop it. I just couldn't. Any social workers on here found this hard? Any TopTips or even past experiences. Does employers grant you some sort of counselling. Also did read you get a bonus for removal of children. Is this true?
Reply 1
Original post by SocialWorker9
Hi. Any social workers on here? I'm studying and starting the topic of 'how to remove children'. I honestly don't think I'd ever have the guts to do this. Want to be a social worker for the better but to have police around me and a mother/dad screaming out and them knowing I have the power to stop it. I just couldn't. Any social workers on here found this hard? Any TopTips or even past experiences. Does employers grant you some sort of counselling. Also did read you get a bonus for removal of children. Is this true?

I am a student social worker. In order to remove a child from their home you need a court order, you can't just do it because you feel it is best, the court need to agree that that is the correct and best course of action. There also have to be very good reasons to get a court order, it's not just something you can get on a whim. As far as I know there is support for all social workers regardless of the area they work in. NO, you do not get a bonus for removal of children.

The removal of a child is done as a last resort, everything possible is done to keep the child with the family, only if this is not possible would a court order for removal be considered.
Original post by Sparkle2
I am a student social worker. In order to remove a child from their home you need a court order, you can't just do it because you feel it is best, the court need to agree that that is the correct and best course of action. There also have to be very good reasons to get a court order, it's not just something you can get on a whim. As far as I know there is support for all social workers regardless of the area they work in. NO, you do not get a bonus for removal of children.

The removal of a child is done as a last resort, everything possible is done to keep the child with the family, only if this is not possible would a court order for removal be considered.

Hi, yes I thought support was available. But I wouldn't know how to handle the tension and the parent/s screaming. How would you handle it?
Reply 3
Hi, yes I thought support was available. But I wouldn't know how to handle the tension and the parent/s screaming. How would you handle it?

I think how I would handle it would vary depending on the situation. However, I would probably remind myself why I was doing it and that the court was saying it had to be done. It's part of the job so something that needs to be done, however someone might not like it.
Original post by Sparkle2
I think how I would handle it would vary depending on the situation. However, I would probably remind myself why I was doing it and that the court was saying it had to be done. It's part of the job so something that needs to be done, however someone might not like it.

Totally agree. Today's society is that social workers are big bad monster that takes kids with a huge salary, not the case at all. I do think the situation would be hard.
Reply 5
Totally agree. Today's society is that social workers are big bad monster that takes kids with a huge salary, not the case at all. I do think the situation would be hard.

I completely agree, it would be hard but at the end of the day if you are a children's social worker you need to do what is in the best interests of the child and that may not always be staying in their home.

Quick Reply

Latest