The Student Room Group

Article 50 decision imminent! Parliament could vote.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by astutehirstute
After Brexit we will be able, legally, to prevent people from immigrating here. Both EU and non EU citizens. Who comes here to live, we can decide as a society.

As things stand we cannot do this for EU nationals. Do you accept this?

I accept that position, but what I am asserting is that a large proportion of Brexit supporters (though not necessarily Brexiteers-Michael Gove was explicit that immigration could rise) voted to reduce immigration not merely place the decision to increase immigration in the hands of politicians in making trade deals.

Furthermore this is a one time exercise of sovereignty in the same way as joining the EU. We exercised our sovereignty to join the EEC in 1973 and Parliament is likely to exercise that sovereignty in 2017 to give notice of withdrawal. In the same way we will exercise our sovereignty to sign a trade deal. Once signed that sovereignty will be suspended until we exercise it to withdraw from that trade deal. One cannot sign an agreement, maintain that agreement is in force and binding on the other party, but reserve the right to ignore the terms of the agreement oneself.

Brexit was a bottom up revolution, of the poor and oppressed. The left behind, those whom the metropolitan elite thought they could tell what was best for them.

Total fantasy. UKIP was founded by millionaires and funded by billionaires, notably offshored tax exile Sir James Goldsmith (who was notoriously strange and some say, insane) and currently the movement is funded by offshored oligarchs like Ashcroft and co-ordinated by the corrupt billionaire owners of the Mail and Murdoch news media. Even Farage, who poses as an ordinary bloke, is a former city trader with extensive property and who lives permanently abroad, married to a non-British wife.

If you want to fantasise, why do it in public?
Original post by nulli tertius
I accept that position, but what I am asserting is that a large proportion of Brexit supporters (though not necessarily Brexiteers-Michael Gove was explicit that immigration could rise) voted to reduce immigration not merely place the decision to increase immigration in the hands of politicians in making trade deals.

Furthermore this is a one time exercise of sovereignty in the same way as joining the EU. We exercised our sovereignty to join the EEC in 1973 and Parliament is likely to exercise that sovereignty in 2017 to give notice of withdrawal. In the same way we will exercise our sovereignty to sign a trade deal. Once signed that sovereignty will be suspended until we exercise it to withdraw from that trade deal. One cannot sign an agreement, maintain that agreement is in force and binding on the other party, but reserve the right to ignore the terms of the agreement oneself.

Free movement from the EU led to mass immigration of unskilled and semi skilled labour, as we all know. We only need to walk down the nearest high street.

I would hope (my hopes may not come to pass of course) that we shall continue to have highly skilled immigration from the rest of the world, (in fact more of it) but not unskilled immigration from the EU or anywhere.

And I think that will be politically doable. Underclass Brexit voters don't tend to compete with Indian cardiologists, they have been undercut by Polish cleaners and Romanian labourers. The former will have private health and send their kids to Prep Schools, whereas the latter have been filling up local GP's surgeries and Primary School classrooms, and it pi$$ed these people off. So they voted Leave.

That is where the inchoate anger came from, so effectively channeled by Leave. . Poor working class communities being culturally transformed in less than a decade, after the accession of the Eastern European countries.

That is where the inchoate anger came from, so effectively channeled by Leave. . Poor working class communities being culturally transformed in less than a decade, after the accession of the Eastern European countries.

And that is where I am saying they will comprehensively stuffed
And that is where I am saying they will comprehensively stuffed

We will see. Maybe. But they were stuffed anyway. :frown:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Even Farage, who poses as an ordinary bloke, is a former city trader with extensive property and who lives permanently abroad, married to a non-British wife.

The marriage is in trouble apparently, but all the same, is this what the Remain side has come down to?

That it is morally wrong to campaign for the UK leaving the EU whilst being married to a European woman??

As for living abroad, he has been an MEP for many years, and we are still full members of the EU. We haven't even served Article 50 yet.

Are you suggesting that he should have permanently lived in the UK whilst a member of a Parliament based abroad?

Not just in one foreign country, by the way, but so batshit crazy is the EU that it holds sessions in TWO different nation states. :rolleyes:
We will see. Maybe. But they were stuffed anyway. :frown:

They would not have been as poor as they are going to be.
They would not have been as poor as they are going to be.

Could be wrong of course, this sort of thing is not my strength area, but I believe that is called a counterfactual statement. :smile:
The ones who are going to shafted. The ones who though there would be less immigration:-

Theresa May and Donald Trump to hold talks on trade deal that cuts tariffs and allows workers to move between the US and UK
Daily Telegraph
Britain must relax immigration rules for Australians if it wants a free trade deal, says high commissioner to UK
The Independent
Theresa May urged to accept more skilled Indian workers to help trade deal
The Guardian
The environment secretary says she is "absolutely committed" to ensuring that British farmers have access to migrant workers after Brexit.
BBC
In other words the UK intends to exercise its sovereignty, and of course that is what the Brexiteers said it was about, sovereignty not numbers of immigrants, to let more folk in as long as they are not from the hated EU.

Why would any 'Brexiteer' care about immigration from Australia? They are a Commonwealth country with a culture that is pretty much a carbon copy of England inhabited by British descendants for the most part.
Original post by demaistre
Why would any 'Brexiteer' care about immigration from Australia? They are a Commonwealth country with a culture that is pretty much a carbon copy of England inhabited by British descendants for the most part.

They don't know how to brew proper beer.
I love how some of the remainers on here are happy about ten his. The fact is, it will make no difference whether the voting takes place or not. The facts are:
1) We are going to leave the EU.
2) We are leaving the single market.
No one is going to be able to stop this, so don't get all hopeful!
Could be wrong of course, this sort of thing is not my strength area, but I believe that is called a counterfactual statement. :smile:

I don't think you are right. Can anyone help?

What do you call a logical statement that can neither be proved true nor false?
The pantomime continues.

[video="youtube;gknN9KZrh1Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gknN9KZrh1Y[/video]
The ones who are going to shafted. The ones who though there would be less immigration:-

Theresa May and Donald Trump to hold talks on trade deal that cuts tariffs and allows workers to move between the US and UK
Daily Telegraph
Britain must relax immigration rules for Australians if it wants a free trade deal, says high commissioner to UK
The Independent
Theresa May urged to accept more skilled Indian workers to help trade deal
The Guardian
The environment secretary says she is "absolutely committed" to ensuring that British farmers have access to migrant workers after Brexit.
BBC
In other words the UK intends to exercise its sovereignty, and of course that is what the Brexiteers said it was about, sovereignty not numbers of immigrants, to let more folk in as long as they are not from the hated EU. The problem isn't the number, it's the type. In the EU the flood complained about is the low skilled workers who come to Britain due to the major draw factor of, for them, very good wages for even the most basic of jobs.

This isn't the case with most of what was highlighted, the first two we're looking at countries with high wages and mostly skilled work, the third is restricted to the skilled labour, the only one that suggests at maintenance of the source of discontent is the last one.

You've then got the other side of common heritage when were looking at many of the former colonies, something that is not the case with much of Europe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 134
Theresa May is a fuken idiot if she thought she could bypass a parliamentary vote. Who does she think she is.
Original post by Moura
Theresa May is a fuken idiot if she thought she could bypass a parliamentary vote. Who does she think she is.

...Someone who possess full executive powers of the Monarch?

It was never likely that she could've done everything, since The Queen in Parliament is much more powerful than The Queen in Council, but triggering Article 50 itself is closer to the President Trump withdrawing from TPP on an executive order than amending a British law.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Get ready for Visa application forms from every EU country as well, not to mention arbitrary blocks because for example there simply aren't enough customs people in the country to cover the ports, so they will periodically have to shut the Channel Tunnel, Gatwick, etc.

This is a totally made-up issue.

EU countries currently range from No 51 (Belgium et al, 91 countries visa-free) to No 55 (Poland, 86 countries visa-free) on the welcoming index.

The British citizen passport is currently No 3 with 156 visa-free entries.

Countries that are much less welcoming than any EU country such as the USA, Canada, or Australia offer visa-free entry to British citizens. Do you seriously think the EU will ask Britons for a visa?
Original post by Fallen Star
The pantomime continues.

I firmly believe that breakfast could be a success, despite the enemies of breakfast bringing this case. Clearly they have an interest in undermining our sensible British bacon and eggs. (Bacon from Denmark, eggs from Germany via Aldi.)

It is in all our interests now to work together towards a stunningly brilliant breakfast and let not the naysayers say that breakfast will be a failure!
Original post by Little Toy Gun
This is a totally made-up issue.

It is an issue which is misrepresented.

It is difficult to see EU imposing a visa requirement on British tourists unless we impose such a requirement on some or all European states. We may wish to impose a visa requirement on tourists from some eastern European states but if we do, the way the Schengen system operates, the entire Schengen area will impose that requirement on us.

It is inevitable that a visa requirement will be imposed on UK nationals going to Europe (and vice versa) for reasons other than short term tourism.

There is a very strong tit for tat tradition in visa requirements.
I don't think you are right. Can anyone help?

What do you call a logical statement that can neither be proved true nor false?

Well there are lots of statements that don't admit of being proven true or false. Some of them we only call beyond our powers of investigation.

This one though is a counterfactual conditional.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending