The Student Room Group

Triple Science HL

I'm in Grade 10 at the moment and we are deciding on our subjects.

I am interested in studying at a university (for medicine) that requires all three sciences (chem, bio and physics). They also require chem and bio to be HL. My other subjects would be English, Math and French Ab. I would not like to take English or Math HL but Physics HL is really hard.

I was thinking about doing this:

Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Physics HL
English SL
Math SL
French Ab SL

(The IB has approved for me to take all three sciences instead of a social science.)

So, my question is whether I should take these subjects or do a different combination?
If you really want to do that specific course then do it,
Original post by phillipsone

I am interested in studying at a university (for medicine) that requires all three sciences (chem, bio and physics). They also require chem and bio to be HL. My other subjects would be English, Math and French Ab. I would not like to take English or Math HL but Physics HL is really hard.

Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Physics HL
English SL
Math SL
French Ab SL

(The IB has approved for me to take all three sciences instead of a social science.)

So, my question is whether I should take these subjects or do a different combination?

I do this. I do the same subjects except for languages - I do French B SL
In my experience, Physics HL isn't that hard. Its based on the application of concepts. Thats why your understanding of different concepts should be robust for you to do well in Physics. And, I've also applied for medicine. It is a hard combination, and you would probably be better off doing economics instead of physics. Personally, I chose Physics HL because I really enjoy physics.
How did the IB approve this? These would have been my dream subject choices, but I couldn't do them!
Talk to students in your school studying those subjects in the IB and gauge how good your school is at teaching them: if sciences aren't taught to a top quality across the board you might be setting yourself up for a lot of pain i.e. I take Bio and Chem HL and they're mediocre but my friend who takes Physics HL says it's horrible due to poor teaching: there is a shortage in the UK of physics teachers so be warned: they may not be good!!!!

If you are REALLY good at maths do maths instead.... otherwise give up on that Uni it's not worth it... no med school is worth the pain of 3 really poorly taught HL as you're actually risking your IB (and no IB would jeopardise any future med school application!!!) I applied for medicine this year: is it Cambridge out of interest? They are the only med school to ask for 3 HL sciences in the UK to the best of my knowledge...?
Original post by thecanadianidiot
Talk to students in your school studying those subjects in the IB and gauge how good your school is at teaching them: if sciences aren't taught to a top quality across the board you might be setting yourself up for a lot of pain i.e. I take Bio and Chem HL and they're mediocre but my friend who takes Physics HL says it's horrible due to poor teaching: there is a shortage in the UK of physics teachers so be warned: they may not be good!!!!

If you are REALLY good at maths do maths instead.... otherwise give up on that Uni it's not worth it... no med school is worth the pain of 3 really poorly taught HL as you're actually risking your IB (and no IB would jeopardise any future med school application!!!) I applied for medicine this year: is it Cambridge out of interest? They are the only med school to ask for 3 HL sciences in the UK to the best of my knowledge...?

Indian and Swedish med schools also require 3 sciences at HL. And a few eastern european med schools.
Original post by phillipsone

Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Physics HL
English SL
Math SL
French Ab SL

Hi phillipsone

I'm year 11 and I'm also deciding on my IB now, and I have the exact same subject thoughts as you but the IB website said that students can at most choose 2 sciences.

If you don't mind, can you share with me how you got your teacher to let you select 3 sciences, because I really like all 3 of them.

By the way, what university were you thinking of for your medicine course, if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by StudentJeffrey
Hi phillipsone

I'm year 11 and I'm also deciding on my IB now, and I have the exact same subject thoughts as you but the IB website said that students can at most choose 2 sciences.

If you don't mind, can you share with me how you got your teacher to let you select 3 sciences, because I really like all 3 of them.

Original post by aleksandraxo
How did the IB approve this? These would have been my dream subject choices, but I couldn't do them!

It's called an irregular diploma (a.k.a. non-regular diploma). You can still be awarded the diploma by taking all three sciences. However, the IBO have to look at your case and consider whether it is mandatory for your desired course at university to require them (e.g. Swedish medical school requires all three sciences). It is, in fact, possible to take all three sciences in the IB, but you need to request consideration beforehand from your coordinator and have consent from the IBO to take an irregular diploma. Some students that do this do actually take a seventh IB subject as well, but that is hellish.

A document on the official general regulations of the IB Diploma Programme states:
https://www.ibo.org/globalassets/publications/become-an-ib-school/dp-general-regulations-en.pdf

'If the special conditions of entry into an institution of higher/further education require an IB Diploma candidate to have completed subjects different from that specified in the current handbook, a candidate may be allowed to make a reasonable substitution on presentation of appropriate university admissions documentary evidence to the IB Organization by the DP coordinator at the candidate’s school. This is referred to as a “non-regular” diploma and the combination of subjects must be authorized by the IB Organization.'
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending