The Student Room Group

Any chance of getting into Warwick Economics??

I did terrible in my gcse's, i got like 4 b's and 6'c . If i get A's for my AS level would Warwick even consider me, bear in my mind their economic course is the third best in the country.
Reply 1
Original post by ahmed3140
I did terrible in my gcse's, i got like 4 b's and 6'c . If i get A's for my AS level would Warwick even consider me, bear in my mind their economic course is the third best in the country.

Warwick economics has been known to be quite harsh with GCSEs. Dont want to be the bearer of bad news but you should check out the Warwick economics Q&A page where they do imply that GCSEs are quite important. You'd have better luck at UCL though.

Do very well at AS, with high UMS, get high predicted grades, good reference, solid PS and they may be impressed with the progress you've made. But not doing well in GCSEs does not help and may also be the reason for a rejection.
Reply 2
Original post by Economer
Warwick economics has been known to be quite harsh with GCSEs. Dont want to be the bearer of bad news but you should check out the Warwick economics Q&A page where they do imply that GCSEs are quite important. You'd have better luck at UCL though.

Do very well at AS, with high UMS, get high predicted grades, good reference, solid PS and they may be impressed with the progress you've made. But not doing well in GCSEs does not help and may also be the reason for a rejection.

i was under the impression that Warwick weren't t strict on gcse's because they weren't a well known uni lool. Are UCL not strict with gcse grades??
Reply 3
i was under the impression that Warwick weren't t strict on gcse's because they weren't a well known uni lool. Are UCL not strict with gcse grades??

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1792980#post34227441

You can see their FAQs and their section on GCSEs. Warwick's Economic dept is highly sought after because in the future they have claimed that it would be better than LSE and even Cambridge. And the stats also show that. Most people do have mostly A*s and As that get in. It'd be very hard to get in since you have to show why you're good enough for their course and Bs and Cs at GCSE would suggest otherwise. I'd recommend you broaden your horizon and think of other Russell groups too.

UCL are known for being lenient with GCSEs. But that's because there are lots of individual cases where people with weaker performances get in. And even then their gcses are rarely as weak as yours.

Warwick may not be well known amongst parents and people in general but it is an EMEA target school making it good for a career in finance. Theyre very competitive, get lots of applicants and choose to use GCSE as an indicator of someone's performance.

The requirement for the course is A*AA, focus on getting the grades first. But you'd definitely have a better shot applying to some weaker unis
Reply 4
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1792980#post34227441

You can see their FAQs and their section on GCSEs. Warwick's Economic dept is highly sought after because in the future they have claimed that it would be better than LSE and even Cambridge. And the stats also show that. Most people do have mostly A*s and As that get in. It'd be very hard to get in since you have to show why you're good enough for their course and Bs and Cs at GCSE would suggest otherwise. I'd recommend you broaden your horizon and think of other Russell groups too.

UCL are known for being lenient with GCSEs. But that's because there are lots of individual cases where people with weaker performances get in. And even then their gcses are rarely as weak as yours.

Warwick may not be well known amongst parents and people in general but it is an EMEA target school making it good for a career in finance. Theyre very competitive, get lots of applicants and choose to use GCSE as an indicator of someone's performance.

The requirement for the course is A*AA, focus on getting the grades first. But you'd definitely have a better shot applying to some weaker unis

What other good economic universities do you think i should apply to, with my bad gcse's, considering i think i can get a good 1 or 2 A* on my A-level because now i work 10x harder than i did in my gcse's and my AS mocks show that.
Reply 5
What other good economic universities do you think i should apply to, with my bad gcse's, considering i think i can get a good 1 or 2 A* on my A-level because now i work 10x harder than i did in my gcse's and my AS mocks show that.

Definitely give it a shot and use one of your options to apply to Warwick if you really want to go. There's no harm applying there at all. Aim for 2A*s prediction and you may get in. But I think you'd have a better shot at UCL since theyre not as discriminatory.

Other good unis? What kind of career are you looking at?
Reply 6
Definitely give it a shot and use one of your options to apply to Warwick if you really want to go. There's no harm applying there at all. Aim for 2A*s prediction and you may get in. But I think you'd have a better shot at UCL since theyre not as discriminatory.

Other good unis? What kind of career are you looking at?

I know i'm stretching here but i would want to end up working for Goldman sach as a trader or any other good trading firm :smile:
Reply 7
I know i'm stretching here but i would want to end up working for Goldman sach as a trader or any other good trading firm :smile:

It's good to have ambitions but yes you're going to have to work really really hard to do well at A levels. I'd say in your case you'd need 2A*s prediction or more for a warwick offer.

This is what I pulled from the stickied thread about unis in finance. Go to the investment banking area for useful tips.

THE TARGETS

(These universities together represent anywhere from 70-80% of front office UK grad intakes)

University of Oxford
University of Cambridge
London School of Economics and Political Science
University College London
Imperial College London
University of Warwick

THE SEMI-TARGETS

(These universities represent the next 15-30% of most intakes)

Durham University
University of Nottingham
University of Bristol
University of Bath
Cass Business School

(Arguably, there’s a slight gap at this point based on grad/summer class data)

University of Edinburgh
University of Manchester
University of St Andrews
King’s College London
University of Exeter

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Loughborough University (an emerging semi-target)
University of York (also somewhat of a semi-target)
University of Leeds (very strong alumni network in the city, but not quite semi-target status)
University of Southampton (similar to Leeds)

These unis are good. really good. They'd certainly help and you're really looking at those top spot unis. There's something ridiculous, like 50 to 1 to as high as 100 to 1 odds for these top jobs.

Go to these unis and check out entry requirements and what they say on GCSEs. Do your own research. You're still in yr 12 though so you should focus doing this in summer though. For now, get some good grades. Something like AAB is what they need but the better the more competitive you will be.

What a levels you taking?

Id say if you manage to achieve 2A* and an A you can pretty much choose any mid IB target uni such as UCL, LSE, Nottingham and Durham. Heck even Cambridge is a worthy shot as they are also quite well known to be lenient with GCSE's.
Reply 9
Original post by TheIncredibleZ
Id say if you manage to achieve 2A* and an A you can pretty much choose any mid IB target uni such as UCL, LSE, Nottingham and Durham. Heck even Cambridge is a worthy shot as they are also quite well known to be lenient with GCSE's.

UCL and LSE are not semi targets. Cambridge recommend 5A*s to As, they're not that lenient.
UCL and LSE are not semi targets. Cambridge recommend 5A*s to As, they're not that lenient.

My bad you are correct but as for GCSES's it also depends on how he has done relative to the school he attended. If they are above he definitely does have a shot at Cambridge if he manages to get those grades.
Reply 11
It's good to have ambitions but yes you're going to have to work really really hard to do well at A levels. I'd say in your case you'd need 2A*s prediction or more for a warwick offer.

This is what I pulled from the stickied thread about unis in finance. Go to the investment banking area for useful tips.

THE TARGETS

(These universities together represent anywhere from 70-80% of front office UK grad intakes)

University of Oxford
University of Cambridge
Imperial College London
University of Warwick

THE SEMI-TARGETS

Durham University
University of Nottingham
University of Bristol
University of Bath
Cass Business School

University of Edinburgh
University of Manchester
University of St Andrews
King’s College London
University of Exeter

HONORABLE MENTIONS

University of Leeds (very strong alumni network in the city, but not quite semi-target status)

These unis are good. really good. They'd certainly help and you're really looking at those top spot unis. There's something ridiculous, like 50 to 1 to as high as 100 to 1 odds for these top jobs.

Go to these unis and check out entry requirements and what they say on GCSEs. Do your own research. You're still in yr 12 though so you should focus doing this in summer though. For now, get some good grades. Something like AAB is what they need but the better the more competitive you will be.

I'm taking maths, economics, history and computer science. I'm highly likely to drop computer science in year 13. For now i'm thinking of applying to Warwick, UCL and durham, and i don't know about the other 2. But i'm just gonna work extremely hard to achieve 3 A's in maths, economics and history at AS level. I'm pretty sure i won't get an A for computer science lool.
I'm taking maths, economics, history and computer science. I'm highly likely to drop computer science in year 13. For now i'm thinking of applying to Warwick, UCL and durham, and i don't know about the other 2. But i'm just gonna work extremely hard to achieve 3 A's in maths, economics and history at AS level. I'm pretty sure i won't get an A for computer science lool.

You need 4As tbh. Maths economics and history are good subjects but compsci should be at A grade too. Only people with strong GCSEs can afford to get one B. Aim for 4As.
Reply 13

THE TARGETS

University of Oxford
University of Cambridge
Imperial College London
University of Warwick

THE SEMI-TARGETS

Durham University
University of Nottingham
University of Bristol
University of Bath
Cass Business School

University of Edinburgh
University of Manchester
University of St Andrews
King’s College London
University of Exeter

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Also for 2 A* predictions what would you need for AS results??
Reply 14
You need 4As tbh. Maths economics and history are good subjects but compsci should be at A grade too. Only people with strong GCSEs can afford to get one B. Aim for 4As.

I got a lot of work to do that means lool

Only on TSR are B and C grades at GCSE described as 'terrible'. It's such a bubble.
Reply 16
Original post by Reality Check
Only on TSR are B and C grades at GCSE described as 'terrible'. It's such a bubble.

Truee i get pissed off when people on tsr get like 8 A* but complaining about that 1 A.
I got a lot of work to do that means lool

Yep. Get high As + perform well in school. Cut down on social media and work work work
Original post by Reality Check

For a course like warwick econ they arent amazing. Dont sugarcoat it.
For a course like warwick econ they arent amazing. Dont sugarcoat it.

Read the post...nothing has been sugar coated because I made no reference to the grades with respect to the course.

Quick Reply