The Student Room Group

Would you ever get into an arranged marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by emerald7770
Why not?

Marriage is about wanting to spend the rest of your life with someone, trusting them to raise your kids and be there for you when you need, it's also about choosing someone you bond with. What's the point in an arrange marriage? I might not even be attracted to her, she could be boring, she could be the complete opposite of what I'm looking for… I'd rather pass and go through the effort of finding someone
Depends if I get some time to know the person who I am getting married to. If in that period of time (approx a few months/perhaps a year), I feel like this person is suitable for me I would get engaged to her and see how far a bit of commitment goes with this person (engaged couples also need some commitment). Once I feel ready and feel that I made the right decision, I would get married. For love marriage, I'd still take a similar approach, get engaged cuz I'd know her well but then wait for some time before getting married because I'd rather not get married and divorce her after because that has more serious implications on the girl's life, especially in India. This is technically meeting like meeting a girl knowing there is a possibility of you marrying her before you meet but then you get time to see how good of a wife she would make.

I would not get married blindly to a completely anonymous person tho. Even if it makes my parents happy because at the end of the day, I might not be happy and which in turn will mean my parents won't be as happy as they claim either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LisaNikita
If i stayed Moslem my parents would have forced me.

Why did you convert and what to?
Original post by TheYearNiner
Why did you convert and what to?

Roman Catholic
If i stayed Moslem my parents would have forced me.

Then it's forced not arranged
If something went wrong and I'm reaching 40 and still virgin then probably.
Original post by MiszShortee786

Would you? 😊
Original post by Ammmaaaraah
Would you? 😊

Already have Alhamdulliah :smile: How about you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
I would consider it, in all honesty yeah.
Arranged marriages its the parents choosing who marries their son/daughter and the son/daughter don't really get to choose. Family honour, family inheritance (reason for 1st cousin marriages), and respect for tradition/their elders/community comes first.

No. I'd prefer it western style, where the couple has equal choice to either get married or say no.
Original post by ThePricklyOne
Arranged marriages its the parents choosing who marries their son/daughter and the son/daughter don't really get to choose. Family honour, family inheritance (reason for 1st cousin marriages), and respect for tradition/their elders/community comes first.

No. I'd prefer it western style, where the couple has equal choice to either get married or say no.

Hey

To be honest not everyone who is involved in arranged marriages do get married to their 1st cousins its quite rare these days aswell as individuals tend to want to marry out for personal reasons I am quite aware of my friends who have had arranged marriages outside of their families which is perfectly fine.

Even in these marriages individuals do have a say however the one thing I dislike is when the parents cannot accept you saying no to the other side just because they like them.
Hey

To be honest not everyone who is involved in arranged marriages do get married to their 1st cousins its quite rare these days aswell as individuals tend to want to marry out for personal reasons I am quite aware of my friends who have had arranged marriages outside of their families which is perfectly fine.

Even in these marriages individuals do have a say however the one thing I dislike is when the parents cannot accept you saying no to the other side just because they like them.

It's not that rare, unfortunately. Asians have higher hereditary conditions than the white population in the UK.

Agree with you on your 2nd point. Its wrong for mom/dad to force their kid into a relationship with the dream son/daughter in law.
Original post by ThePricklyOne
It's not that rare, unfortunately. Asians have higher hereditary conditions than the white population in the UK.

Agree with you on your 2nd point. Its wrong for mom/dad to force their kid into a relationship with the dream son/daughter in law.

Thats true Asians are more prone to having more health related problems then the rest of the population which unfortunately cannot be helped :frown: its sad but life wouldn't be worth living if everyone was the same eh? Everyone unique for a reason.

Thats the funny thing to please their parents individuals go along with the marriage however its not the parents that are going to live with your partner so I dont understand when either sides says no for whatever reason why the parents cant just move on and find someone a bit more compatible?
(edited 7 years ago)
No way Jose

I really view needing your parents to find you a partner really embarrassing, the lowest of the low.
No my parents don't even know I'm bisexual. Plus they barely know me.
Roman Catholic

Why would you do that why no become a christian. Roman Catholic is bad religion in my opinion.
Thats true Asians are more prone to having more health related problems then the rest of the population which unfortunately cannot be helped :frown: its sad but life wouldn't be worth living if everyone was the same eh? Everyone unique for a reason.

Thats the funny thing to please their parents individuals go along with the marriage however its not the parents that are going to live with your partner so I dont understand when either sides says no for whatever reason why the parents cant just move on and find someone a bit more compatible?

Exactly. The parents' dream in-law could be their sons/daughter nightmare partner, so why work together to pick the best partner?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending